Stuck gas gauge - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The Early Generations

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

Stuck gas gauge

Hi there fellow Accord owners. I m new member and have a little problem with my sisters 1997 Accord LX. Gas gauge is stuck at full. I recently had to replace a blown check engine light bulb and since then gas gauge is stuck at full position. I took everything apart again in order to see if I did anything wrong but everything is the way it should be.. Any help is appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 PM
banned

Tmnhs81:

My FIRST thought is that one/more of the pins are not correctly seated in the "harmonica" (block) connectors which attach to the back of the gauge cluster.

With their being "polarized," it should be impossible for you to plug anything in backwards.

That said, you'll likely need to remove the cluster AGAIN...and recheck all connections for tightness...and cleanliness.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for a quick reply.
When I pulled the cluster out the second time I manually turned the gauge towards empty. When I plugged everything back in, it went back to full. My guess is that the sensor or the arm thingy in the gas tank that measures how much gas is left is probably stuck.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

Always look to the last thing that you screwed with! If the gauge was working properly before you took the cluster apart, and it's stuck on full after you put the cluster back together, it is NOT likely that you have a stuck float. It is very likely that you screwed something up in the cluster.

Let your rear seat back down, and lift up the carpeting in the trunk (might have to pry out a plastic plug to get it loose). Looking into the trunk from the back seat, on your left side (passengers side of the car) you will see the wiring that goes to the float. There is a plug there which you can separate. That will disconnect the float from the fuel gauge.

If you turn the car on now, with the float disconnected, the gauge should read empty. If it goes to empty with the wiring disconnected, then there is a problem with the float. However, if it continues to read full, then the wire between that connector, and the gauge is shorted to ground somehow. I'd very carefully look over the connections and wires at, and near the cluster to find the problem.

I hope that helps!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQuick View Post
Always look to the last thing that you screwed with! If the gauge was working properly before you took the cluster apart, and it's stuck on full after you put the cluster back together, it is NOT likely that you have a stuck float. It is very likely that you screwed something up in the cluster.
Amen, Amen, AMEN!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the steps to check it out. I'll try it out tomorrow. I hope I didn't screwed anything up in the cluster. I was very careful taking it apart and putting it back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.