Maintenance Minder? Code B12? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
FollowingNFront's Avatar
FollowingNFront FollowingNFront is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maintenance Minder? Code B12?

Ok so I bought a certified '06 Accord EXL V6 (4dr) in July of this year from Paragon Honda in Queens.

My maintenance minder is now on 15% telling me its time for an oil change....
The code associated with it is B12. (yes like the vitamin)

I called a local dealer to schedule an oil change and ask about the code...

They said that the code is saying that I need to: rotate my tires, adjust brakes, change oil, cabin filter, and some other visual inspections...

She said all-in-all it would cost me $220!!!

I have a couple of questions:

-1) How does the maintenance minder do its thing? The service writer told me that the car's sensors kept track of how I drive and displays the appropriate code for that... Is that true?

-2) I just bought the car 3 months (5,000) miles ago... When they certified it, didnt they rotate the tires, adjust my brakes, change my oil, and my cabin filter like "B12" is telling me to do? Can I just skip this one?

-3) sooooo, can I just get my oil changed and not worry about this "B12" this time around? Would it hurt the car any in the long run?

Because I dont have that kind of money at this moment.

Thanks
__________________
2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM
edbro edbro is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
How does the maintenance minder do its thing? The service writer told me that the car's sensors kept track of how I drive and displays the appropriate code for that... Is that true?
I wondered the same thing. I have a brand new 09 that only has 300 miles on it. But, the oil life is still at 100%. So, even if it clicks down to 99% at the next mile, this tells me that the oil is good for 30,000 miles. NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
CYANiDE CYANiDE is offline
VTAKKKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,714
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Ok so I bought a certified '06 Accord EXL V6 (4dr) in July of this year from Paragon Honda in Queens.

My maintenance minder is now on 15% telling me its time for an oil change....
The code associated with it is B12. (yes like the vitamin)

I called a local dealer to schedule an oil change and ask about the code...

They said that the code is saying that I need to: rotate my tires, adjust brakes, change oil, cabin filter, and some other visual inspections...

She said all-in-all it would cost me $220!!!

I have a couple of questions:

-1) How does the maintenance minder do its thing? The service writer told me that the car's sensors kept track of how I drive and displays the appropriate code for that... Is that true?

-2) I just bought the car 3 months (5,000) miles ago... When they certified it, didnt they rotate the tires, adjust my brakes, change my oil, and my cabin filter like "B12" is telling me to do? Can I just skip this one?

-3) sooooo, can I just get my oil changed and not worry about this "B12" this time around? Would it hurt the car any in the long run?

Because I dont have that kind of money at this moment.

Thanks
Read my post on V6P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I wondered the same thing. I have a brand new 09 that only has 300 miles on it. But, the oil life is still at 100%. So, even if it clicks down to 99% at the next mile, this tells me that the oil is good for 30,000 miles. NOT!
It goes down by 10% each time. Regardless, check your oil at least once a month. My indicator was still at 30% when I changed my oil at about 3.5k after the last change. Oil was black as hell anyway...I wouldn't have wanted to leave it for another 1k miles.
__________________
2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 AM
FollowingNFront's Avatar
FollowingNFront FollowingNFront is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I answered you on V6P
__________________
2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM
hillstones hillstones is offline
Sold the Accord
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,407
Thanks: 8
Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
The cabin filter is changed every 30,000 miles. It is a $22 part from Honda (use the Honda eStore and pick it up at your dealer, estore.honda.com). The part is under the heater blower topic under the interior section. You only need the filter, not the filter holder assembly.

To replace it, open your glove box and unclip the clutch lever on the right side. Then pinch both sides of the glove box inward to release the tabs holding the door. Let the door open all the way to the floor. Then look up in the dash and you will see the filter holder with two tabs on each side. Push the tabs inward towards each other and slide out the filter. Make sure you pay attention to the flow arrows on the filter and the holder to make sure you put the filter in the correct direction for air flow.

Who knows what they do when they claim a used car is "Certified." I believe the maintenance minder is still mostly based on mileage on the vehicle. It will trigger different maintenance codes based on the mileage on your vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM
FollowingNFront's Avatar
FollowingNFront FollowingNFront is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
The cabin filter is changed every 30,000 miles. It is a $22 part from Honda (use the Honda eStore and pick it up at your dealer, estore.honda.com). The part is under the heater blower topic under the interior section. You only need the filter, not the filter holder assembly.

To replace it, open your glove box and unclip the clutch lever on the right side. Then pinch both sides of the glove box inward to release the tabs holding the door. Let the door open all the way to the floor. Then look up in the dash and you will see the filter holder with two tabs on each side. Push the tabs inward towards each other and slide out the filter. Make sure you pay attention to the flow arrows on the filter and the holder to make sure you put the filter in the correct direction for air flow.

Who knows what they do when they claim a used car is "Certified." I believe the maintenance minder is still mostly based on mileage on the vehicle. It will trigger different maintenance codes based on the mileage on your vehicle.
Ok... So since the car only has 25k on it right now, and the cabin air filter is changed every 30k, since they explicitly told me that they changed the cabin air filter upon certification, Ill wait until my next oil change to do it... Which should be just over 30k miles.

I think I will either do the oil change myself or have the dealer do it... I may be able to rotate the tires myself...

What do they do when they "adjust the brakes"?
__________________
2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM
flippco's Avatar
flippco flippco is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I wondered the same thing. I have a brand new 09 that only has 300 miles on it. But, the oil life is still at 100%. So, even if it clicks down to 99% at the next mile, this tells me that the oil is good for 30,000 miles. NOT!
Oil life is not linear, meaning the more miles and heat it is exposed to the faster the oil degrades. There is a sensor that captures engine revolutions and temperature. The oil life indicator is an estimate on how much longer until the system recommends changing it.

The cabin and engine air filters are pretty cheap, I just changed both in about 10 minutes and both filters cost around $30 at my local auto parts store.

I would also recommend signing up for Owner Link, there is a good overview of the maintenance minder system and you can see the maintenance schedule. Depending on how many miles are on the vehicle it would be a good idea to budget for some upcoming services such as timing belt/water pump, tranny drain and refill and coolant flush.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com
__________________
2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT Sapphire Blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM
LFSoccer2k6's Avatar
LFSoccer2k6 LFSoccer2k6 is offline
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: STL, MO
Posts: 3,035
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to LFSoccer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to LFSoccer2k6
I just had a B1 minder. Is there a place on this for or somewhere that lists what each minder code means? Thanks.
__________________
2007 NHBP EX-L V6 Sedan 5AT
CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3237223
DIY Documents: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
flippco's Avatar
flippco flippco is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSoccer2k6 View Post
I just had a B1 minder. Is there a place on this for or somewhere that lists what each minder code means? Thanks.
Ownerlink is the place to go.
__________________
2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT Sapphire Blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
FollowingNFront's Avatar
FollowingNFront FollowingNFront is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized that I have an ownerlink account already... Im checking it now...

on a sidenote, I think Im doing the oil change myself... Should I switch to synthetic (car only has 25,000 miles), or should I just go dino?
__________________
2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
CYANiDE CYANiDE is offline
VTAKKKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,714
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
I just realized that I have an ownerlink account already... Im checking it now...

on a sidenote, I think Im doing the oil change myself... Should I switch to synthetic (car only has 25,000 miles), or should I just go dino?
Really depends how often you want to change your oil. I'm currently on Valvoline Full Synth to give it a shot, but probably going back to dino after this change, don't feel a difference.
__________________
2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
searich07's Avatar
searich07 searich07 is offline
Out of Control
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maintenance Minder says 15%

FollowingNFront:
Quote:
“just bought the car 3 months (5,000) miles ago... When they certified it, didnt they rotate the tires, adjust my brakes, change my oil, and my cabin filter?”
Answer is that “they should have”, but your Maintenance Minder is telling us something very different that you are on 15%. So exactly what did they do to certify your car? Just slap a certification sticker on your car? Or? Regards

Richard
__________________
'09 Accord Coupe Ex L-Nav (190hp) I4
- Alabaster Silver Metallic/ Zaino finish / Black Leather Interior
-Weathertech trunk, front
-3M clear bra, pillars, roof, rear deck
OEM:
- side molding
- fog lamps
- Auto dim mirror
HONDA Accords:
'99 Sedan EXL V6
76 K miles - 6th Gen (97-02) 3.0L V6 SOHC VTEC (200 hp)
'92 Coupe I4
127 K miles – 4th Gen (90-93) 1992 facelift I4 2.2L (125 hp)
'85 Sedan LX 4dr I4
98 K miles – 2nd Gen (82-85) 1985 refresh i4 1.8L (86 hp)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
FollowingNFront's Avatar
FollowingNFront FollowingNFront is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by searich07 View Post
FollowingNFront:

Answer is that “they should have”, but your Maintenance Minder is telling us something very different that you are on 15%. So exactly what did they do to certify your car? Just slap a certification sticker on your car? Or? Regards

Richard
Doesnt the maintenance minder just go off of miles when it comes to the "A,B,1,2,3,4,5" codes?

How does the car KNOW that my tires have to be rotated if its not going by the mileage????

(Just fyi, when I bought the car the maintenance minder % was 100%)
__________________
2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM
CYANiDE CYANiDE is offline
VTAKKKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,714
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingNFront View Post
Doesnt the maintenance minder just go off of miles when it comes to the "A,B,1,2,3,4,5" codes?

How does the car KNOW that my tires have to be rotated if its not going by the mileage????

(Just fyi, when I bought the car the maintenance minder % was 100%)
Minder goes by miles for everything other than oil I believe. For oil it takes into consideration cold starts, hard driving, etc. You can reset the maintenance minder yourself, its in the manual.

For certification, its a big checklist, but they fly through it, certification is moreso for the 100k warranty on powertrain than anything else.
__________________
2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
briansays briansays is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the B1 code different from B12? i got the B1 code, i thought THAT was the one to tell you to get your oil changed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:56 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.