What's a good way to fix a sagging headliner? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Forum Insomniac

What's a good way to fix a sagging headliner?

I noticed earlier today my headliner started to sag slightly above the passenger seat, and I'd like to get this fixed, so I'd like your input on it please. I don't want to put any thumbtacks or staples or slits in the headliner. I'd like it to as clean and professional as possible without paying somebody to fix it, otherwise I'd take it to the dealership. So what's your best method to fix a sagging headliner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Not a n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
I noticed earlier today my headliner started to sag slightly above the passenger seat, and I'd like to get this fixed, so I'd like your input on it please. I don't want to put any thumbtacks or staples or slits in the headliner. I'd like it to as clean and professional as possible without paying somebody to fix it, otherwise I'd take it to the dealership. So what's your best method to fix a sagging headliner?
Depends if the fabric has let go, or if the fiberglass is cracked. If the fabric has let go, then u will need some light coats of spray on contact cement.. if the glass is cracked, well, forget it...
05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs ,TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters , 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Forum Insomniac

I'm pretty sure the fabric lost its adhesive. A few weeks ago I scrubbed that area with an upholstery cleaner, and that probably loosened the fabric a little. Then, I drive with my windows down 90% of the time, so that probably made the headliner start to sag. It's not all that noticeable, but it's annoying knowing I have that problem. Where can I get some spray on contact cement, and how noticeable will any residue look after I spray it on?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Not a n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
I'm pretty sure the fabric lost its adhesive. A few weeks ago I scrubbed that area with an upholstery cleaner, and that probably loosened the fabric a little. Then, I drive with my windows down 90% of the time, so that probably made the headliner start to sag. It's not all that noticeable, but it's annoying knowing I have that problem. Where can I get some spray on contact cement, and how noticeable will any residue look after I spray it on?
U can get the stuff at pep boys, autozone, wallmart. etc... you need to peel back the liner and spray a light coat on the fabric and a light coat on the glass backing wait about 15 mins and then stick them together.

Most automotive upholstery (or custom stereo) shops can do this for just a few bucks if you don't want to tackle it for yourself...
05 Accord EXV6 - leather, OEM fogs ,TSX Retrofit Projectors, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Mud Guards, HFP Lip Spoiler, 20% Tint all around, HFP Suspension, Autostart Two Way Remote starter, 16" Kumho I'zen Winters , 17" Acura TL wheels with NEXEN 3000 summers
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
mobiless2

3M Super 77 spray adhesive available at Home Depot.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Forum Insomniac

Thanks guys! It's gonna be a pain in the ass to peel back the headliner probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.