Crankshaft Position Sensor - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hi! I'm a new memember and I am looking for infomation on how to test and replace the CPS on a 97 Accord EX with the 4 Cyl VTEC motor. I did a search and did not find anything that would show me what I am looking for. Thank you for any help that you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM

What issue are you having that's leading you to look at the CKP? (crank sensor)
How many miles are on your car?
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I have just over 200,000 miles on my car. When the check engine light came on I read the code on my testor and it came up with Crankshaft Sensor "A" as the error for the check engine light.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

I've had the CPS go bad on my Ranger before. Got the engine code like you and when I took the sensor off, I found that the plastic parts had broken off and caused damaged to the shaft as well. Ended up having to replace the shaft as well as the sensor.
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-clear bra-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Can you post which code number. There are 4 sensors, 3 in the distributor and the one at the lower timing belt sprocket that can be called that.

There's a CYP, (cylinder position), TDC (top dead center), CKP (crank position), CMP (camshaft position).

Usually the car will continue to run with the one by the timing belt not working on older cars as it was just used for misfire diagnosis. The 3 in the distributor are the ones that are very important for running.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

The test equipment that I am using (Autoscanner by Actron) just says "Crankshaft Position Sensor A". It doesn't diplay a numerical code. Mu assumption would be that it is refering to the one at the crankshaft then.

Is there any way to test the sensor with an ohm meter?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM

A test with an ohm meter may or may not show a problem with it.

The sensor can have the correct resistance but still not output the proper signal to the PCM. Make sure the wires leading to the sensor are in tact, undamaged and not soaked with oil or anything contaminating the plug that goes down to that sensor.

Without the code, I can't tell you which sensor to check.

If it was one in the distributor, you can't replace any of them, you have to replace the entire distributor body.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the information. I'll cean it up because it is coated in oil and dirt and see what happens. This would be un unlikely fix for me though, I don't have that kind of luck!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Carefully check the wires for soft spots and any places the insulation may have been damaged by the oil. If there's oil IN the connector for the sensor (outside the timing cover) clean it really well, there can be issues from that.

There should be a foil type metal shield around the wires, if it contacts any copper in the wires, the sensor will be dead for all intents and purposes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.