how many miles before first oil change - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Fluid Dynamics

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

how many miles before first oil change

how many miles was it before you had your first oil change?
Debadged
Tints
Mesh lower grille
LED interior lights
DDM HID 6000k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
6th Gear

5,000 miles then every 5,000 miles with mobil 1...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

did you wait for your mm to come on?
Debadged
Tints
Mesh lower grille
LED interior lights
DDM HID 6000k
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
moooo

op means first ever oil change aka we might be skirting an oil debate. In my humble opinion and for everyone I mean my own opinion I changed my oil out at 3,200 because it is regular oil and by then the moly has done its job.

either way just read this thread. Everyone has their own opinion.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...highlight=moly
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
6th Gear

I never use the MM. I change every 5,000 oil and filter....
Old 12-23-2009, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

i have about 5200 miles on my accord and 40% on the oil life is it time to change the break in oil?
Debadged
Tints
Mesh lower grille
LED interior lights
DDM HID 6000k
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM
C1 909

It's up to you, I waited till the MM came on. Doing strong since 20 miles on it!

14 Honda Accord LX // 89 Miles
13 Toyota Tacoma Sport // 31,023 Miles
Old 12-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Southern Jag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
I never use the MM. I change every 5,000 oil and filter....

I pay attention to it, but it doesn't make me jump up to change oil. Honda changes it for me every 5k, just because I want no question about extended warranty work if needed. With 75k miles on the car, it runs just as good as new!
'07 Armada SE (Traded for Tundra)
'07 Accord SE V6 #1 - Graphite Pearl w/ legal tint (wife's car) TRADED & GONE (for Armada)!
'07 Accord SE V6 #2 - Alabaster Silver Metallic w/ HIDs, fog lights, less-than-legal tint, DVD & TVs for my 3 kids (wifey's car)
'95 Impala SS (DGGM) - My latest acquisition... Soon to be 12-sec, low-ridin', daily driven, highway cruiser!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM

I've been having my family and work customers use the MM.

On family's cars it's been coming on regularly at 5200 to 5500. Usually at 15% left.

I see it about the same at where I work as well. Only those cars that are much more highway seem to go more. I've not seen one yet go past 8000.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
I've been having my family and work customers use the MM.

On family's cars it's been coming on regularly at 5200 to 5500. Usually at 15% left.

I see it about the same at where I work as well. Only those cars that are much more highway seem to go more. I've not seen one yet go past 8000.
Given the fact that I drive, on average, only ~5,000-to-5,500 miles per year, I disregard the MM. I change oil only ONCE per year, which is WHY I use ONLY fully-synthetic Mobil One...in both my cars.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:09 PM

Robert,

Your car doesn't have a maintenance minder like the new cars. Yours, and my gen 7 are nothing more than lights hooked up to a mileage counter. I don't go by mine either. My car gets 2 changes per year, every 5k or so.

The new ones are oil life monitors that take into account, engine temp, inferred oil temp, avg speed, avg revs, peak revs, miles driven, and outside air temperature. The timer or clock is sped up or slowed down as needed per the algorithm in the PCM.

This only works when you use an oil that's exactly as Honda specifies. A better oil is not going to work with it.

GM is soon to be going to Dexos oils, they are capable of very extended oil changes.

They are also, from what I understand going to be a very good oil, better than M1 in most cases. You know there's going to be an issue when the GM is encountering quite a bit of resistance from oil companies and quick lube places over it. There's going to be a spark ignition engine oil and a light duty diesel version.

The oil is backwards compatible to most of their engines. However the cars that use the GM oil life system won't know this and will base this on the original oil. GM may or already has in the works a reflash for the PCM to allow the monitor to work with that oil.

There are/were cars that have actual oil quality sensors in the pan, some do work, but reliability has been an issue so far.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:48 PM
6th Gear

making things way to complicated now in cars...
Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 AM
banned

Quote:
Your car doesn't have a maintenance minder like the new cars. Yours, and my gen 7 are nothing more than lights hooked up to a mileage counter. I don't go by mine either. My car gets 2 changes per year, every 5k or so.
FredSVT:

Exactly as you say, it's just a resettable satellite counter, running in tandem with the odometer. There's no oil pan sensor feeding the PCM. The counter activates the "Maintenance Required" indicator lamp (as I recall) around ~7,500 miles. I don't pay much attention to it, since the information it furnishes is not particularly important to me.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi Robert,

The Hondas that have the oil life monitor don't use a sensor in the pan. I don't recall ever even seeing an oil level sensor in a Honda pan. It's strictly calculated "life" via the parameters I mentioned.

The manufacturers that have used or use the in sump sensors have had reliability issues with them, either leaks or electronic failures.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM
banned

Quote:
The Hondas that have the oil life monitor don't use a sensor in the pan. I don't recall ever even seeing an oil level sensor in a Honda pan. It's strictly calculated "life" via the parameters I mentioned.

The manufacturers that have used or use the in sump sensors have had reliability issues with them, either leaks or electronic failures.
FredSVT:

I am not overtly familiar with MM specs of the newer Honda/Acura products. But I take comfort in Honda's strictly PCM algorithm-based approach. My friends who turn wrenches on Beemers and Volvos sure give me an earful about those systems. They're JUNK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.