12v accessory not working... - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM
HardCoreHondaLover

12v accessory not working...

I bought a Kobalt air compressor for the car and plugged it into both of the 12v outlets in the car. Nothing happened (I had the key turned to ACC and the radio was on). I verified the 15A ACC fuse was OK. So, I thought maybe a got a bum compressor. I went to Lowes and replaced it with an identical unit. Same problem. This is on a 2004 Honda Accord LX.

Has anyone else had issues getting output from the 12v acc outlet?

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited by akelsall; 01-11-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: add model and year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
6th Gear

did you try plugging anything else in the 12v to see if it worked like a a cell phone charger.
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman196 View Post
did you try plugging anything else in the 12v to see if it worked like a a cell phone charger.
That could be very good advice. I have a dustbuster type vacuum that doesn't work in my wife's 03 but works just fine in my 06. Of course at first I thought it was a fuse too. But a cell phone charger worked perfectly in her car. It seems some of the 7th gen ac outlets are a bit touchy. Or perhaps not all ac accessories are very well made. Andy - when you get a chance you might also want to put a little info in your signature to identify your car.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 AM
HardCoreHondaLover

Aceman, thanks for responding. I have an old air compressor (about 5 years old) that works on my other car, but doesn't work in this one. I have tried both of the 12V outlets in the car and neither appear to work. I find it hard to believe both have failed (unless there's some wiring in common).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Call me Z

Try pushing the plug a bit harder into the socket. I have that issue with my compressor but not the chargers. When I first discovered this, I thought the same and realized it when the plug looked like it wasn't fully seated.

2005 Satin Silver Metallic LX sedan k24 5MT

HT spec V2 F2 Type 1 coils l J Power rear camber arms l TL-S 20mm RSB l
Custom bronze EVO X GSR 18 x 8.5 +38 wheels wrapped in Kumho Ecsta sized 235/40/18 l OEM V6 coupe exhaust minus resonators l
Custom "Icebox" intake l Custom polished shifter extension l Custom FX35 bixenon retro in black housings l OEM rep front lip l ebay fogs l

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Out of Control

Clean compressor elecrical contact points with alcohol, before insertion into 12V outlet, Regards

Richard
-3M clear bra, pillars, roof, rear deck
OEM:
- side molding
- fog lamps
- Auto dim mirror
HONDA Accords:
'99 Sedan EXL V6
76 K miles - 6th Gen (97-02) 3.0L V6 SOHC VTEC (200 hp)
'92 Coupe I4
127 K miles 4th Gen (90-93) 1992 facelift I4 2.2L (125 hp)
'85 Sedan LX 4dr I4
98 K miles 2nd Gen (82-85) 1985 refresh i4 1.8L (86 hp)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelsall View Post
Aceman, thanks for responding. I have an old air compressor (about 5 years old) that works on my other car, but doesn't work in this one. I have tried both of the 12V outlets in the car and neither appear to work. I find it hard to believe both have failed (unless there's some wiring in common).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy, it wasn't clear from your response that you tried what Aceman suggested. If you didn't, do yourself a favor and follow his sugestion. There is a reasonable chance there's nothing wrong with your ac outlets. Maybe my previous post wasn't as clear as it could be. The ac outlets in both my wife's 03 and my 06 were fine. Yet the vacuum that works without any difficulty in my 06 will not work in her 03. It's not an issue of cleaning contacts or pushing it in harder. I tried. Everything else we tried in her 03 worked perfectly. I just went out into my garage with a flashlight and compared the outlets in our 2 Accords. They are obviously different. The barrel of the outlet in her 03 has 2 cut out areas where my 06 is solid. I'd guess they improved the outlets at some point and your 04 probably has the older style. Your situation might be the classic - If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
Andy, it wasn't clear from your response that you tried what Aceman suggested. If you didn't, do yourself a favor and follow his sugestion. There is a reasonable chance there's nothing wrong with your ac outlets. Maybe my previous post wasn't as clear as it could be. The ac outlets in both my wife's 03 and my 06 were fine. Yet the vacuum that works without any difficulty in my 06 will not work in her 03. It's not an issue of cleaning contacts or pushing it in harder. I tried. Everything else we tried in her 03 worked perfectly. I just went out into my garage with a flashlight and compared the outlets in our 2 Accords. They are obviously different. The barrel of the outlet in her 03 has 2 cut out areas where my 06 is solid. I'd guess they improved the outlets at some point and your 04 probably has the older style. Your situation might be the classic - If it ain't broke don't fix it.
+1 point exactly
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM
HardCoreHondaLover

ypsibird, you were spot-on. I bought another type of air compressor at Target (I don't have the exact brand, but it was green and silver). THAT unit works fine. I find it very frustrating that there's in incompatibility with something as simple as a 12v outlet. How hard is it for Honda to standardize their outlets?!! Oh well, at least I have a working compressor now. Thanks to all who replied (and especially to ypsibird).

Andy
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 AM
4th Gear

in other thread, it said you have to push harder, they don't make the hole wide enough
'01 accord (current car)
'06 accord (current car)
always been a Honda family :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.