Tranny vibration when accelerating - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Tranny vibration when accelerating

My gf's 2005 auto v6 accord has a vibration/rubbing feel in the acceleration from a complete stop. It occurs from approximately 2000-2400 rpms and goes away. It only happens from a stop in auto's 1st gear. I have noticed it since the 1st time driving the car. Odometer was 75k miles then and it currently has 105K. Gf is original owner and she never noticed it. Any experiences or suggestions? Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
6th Gear

Just how hard are you accelerating? You might be feeling the traction control, did you notice the yellow triangle light up?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Carpe Diem

How do you know it's actually coming from the tranny?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

The vibration is felt whether I baby or mash on the pedal.
It could quite possibly not be the transmission. It is just a consistent feeling from 2000-2400 rpms.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Ignore the rpm for a moment.

Do you feel this vibration from the instant you hit the accelerator to a certain road speed?

Does it feel more like a "wobble"?

If you put the car in park or neutral, and bring it to the revs you mentioned, can you feel it? Also, if in drive, and you use your left foot to hold the brake FIRMLY, and bring the revs to 2000, do you feel it? Don't do this for a long period of time.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff
I think it's just the engine shaking around. My car does this too. I haven't really worried about it a lot. I bet if you got high performance mounts, the engine wouldn't move at all.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM

High performance mounts would reduce engine movement, but also allow far more vibration to reach the passengers.

If the front mount is bad, it'll clunk once on acceleration as the engine lifts up.

The stock mounts don't let a whole lot of movement in normal driving.

On hard acceleration should the tires hop, then it can move a bit but the axle hop is so violent I think he'd feel that much more.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

The vibration occurs on acceleration from roughly 8-12 mph and goes away. I take away that if I accelerate extremely softly/creeping, the vibration doesn't occur. I cannot replicate the vibration/rubbing sound in park/neutral/revving with foot on brake.

This is the first Honda I've driven so I didnt know if this was normal. Thanks for input.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
06 ACCORD

it sounds like a mount for sure, try this pop yur hood put the ebrake on,put it in gear without taking off, press the gas just a bit and see how bad the engine move back, if you see it move to much thats motor mounts if not well i have no idea but i hope it just a bad motor mount easy fix. good luck
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Out of Control

what about your tranny mounts? my tranny mounts were broken to hell and caused weird noises at times. after i replaced the mount, it was good again
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp15857 View Post
The vibration occurs on acceleration from roughly 8-12 mph and goes away. I take away that if I accelerate extremely softly/creeping, the vibration doesn't occur. I cannot replicate the vibration/rubbing sound in park/neutral/revving with foot on brake.

This is the first Honda I've driven so I didnt know if this was normal. Thanks for input.
Will it do it in gear, foot on brake at the rpm you mentioned?

Also, try putting it in D2 and accelerating away, do you feel it.

I'd be checking the axles. Sounds like you have an inner joint going bad. The 4 cylinder cars with the long right axle are known for having issues that cause a "wobble" like vibration, first only on initial take off, like what you feel. Then as they get worse, it happens any time you accelerate up to about 45-50 mph.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

It doesn't sound like a "wobble". Closer to a rubbing or grinding without metal parts. I hear it and only feel it in the acceleration pedal. Not the steering wheel.

Ok, I cannot replicate it with the foot on the brake. It is the same in D3 and 1. In 2, the sound/feeling is much louder and lasts longer.

Are tranny mounts easy to detect when they are worn?

I'm just confused that this issue has not got worse. It has remained the same from 75-105K miles, just over 2 years.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Is this sound loud enough to be made into an audio file to post?

Starting in second makes it worse, not good.

Since you're really not accelerating hard, I can't see it being mounts. Bad mounts, you'd feel the engine moving, noticeable clunk especially if the front mount is bad.

Have you or a shop done a trans drain and fill on this car anytime recently? I'd like to see what's on the drain plug magnet. What does the current fluid in the unit look like? Can you put the dipstick into bright sunlight to see if there's metal flakes in it?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 PM

If the fluid turns out dark brown with a burnt smell and there DOES appear to be metal flakes in the fluid like Fred suggested, I believe your second gear is toast. Especially since starting in second makes it worse...
brembo blank rotors front/rear
Akebono pro-ceramic pads
Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM

That car "shouldn't" have issues with 2nd in that way, but anything is possible. It should have the internal lube problem fixed.

If it has a jet kit, the trans is either used or rebuilt by someone at sometime incorrectly.

I'd really like to hear it, if it's audible to a microphone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.