what happens if your exhaust pipes leak air?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Modify

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
banned

what happens if your exhaust pipes leak air??

So I had my exhaust installed for about 2 weeks already and I noticed that when I start my car its a whole lot louder.

I'm not retarded I'm not talking about the exhaust part but the front of the car; the engine is a lot louder.

I also notice right after I start my car and start driving my car has a lot more "push" and it kinda feels like it stays at a higher RPM when I don't press on my gas. WTF?? Doesn't bother me too much just curious as to what is happening. is it too much back pressure or is it because my exhaust wasn't welded correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
6th Gear

Well, is your exhaust leaking like your subject line suggests? If it's been 2 weeks you should have checked by now. Have you checked for leaks? It's not hard to do. It's not unusual that shops don't really make sure that there are none based on my limited experience. The last 3 -4 times I've had exhaust work done there were leaks.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
banned

idk if it is haha. how do you check? I should have made another thread title but I'm just curious as to what happens when it does leak air, from my problems above does it seem that it is?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thGenInspire View Post
how do you check?
You lay on your back and and feel around all the connecting points with your hand while the engine is running. Depending on your size and "wingspan" you might be able to do it without jacking up one side of your car. Either way, chock your wheels and if you have to jack it up use a jack stand. Start with your engine cold and check the front by your catalytic converter 1st since that's about the only part that gets hot enough to burn you or be uncomfortable. You didn't say what kind of exhaust you did. If it's all custom, you probably want to check around the welds too. What you describe could be a manifold leak. You wouldn't normally loosen the exhaust manifold to put a cat back system on, but it's possible your shop might have in order to get something to fit. If you think they might have, then check around the manifold. Again, start with the engine cold. It's hard to feel around the manifold. You might want to use a piece of paper to see if it flutters indicating a leak. Generally the biggest issue with an exhaust leak is safety. You could get carbon monoxide poisoning if enough exhaust makes it's way into the cabin. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM
banned

if gone uncheck, your car will leak plutonium which will leak thru the cracks on the streets and can cause a new ice age around the world which will then drop the temperature of the world down to -210F, after that the only living thing on the planet will be micro-bacteria who will eat away at everything and eventually the earth will warm up again and then a new species of humans will come back and find our remains, and the archeologist will go looking for what caused the ice age, and they will find your car, and they will conclude that since your not lowered and you were leaking air, you cause the new ice age.... SO GO CHECK IT OUT.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM
3rd Gear

Exhaust pipes are supposed to leak air. That's what they are there for.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Reverse Gear

Your car stays in higher RPMs when you first start it is because it is warming up the engine....mine is usually around 1.8K @ startup, then it drops to 0.9K when warm.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Delinquent

Send a message via AIM to EBONY 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUS777 View Post
Your car stays in higher RPMs when you first start it is because it is warming up the engine....mine is usually around 1.8K @ startup, then it drops to 0.9K when warm.
yup ^ altho I also heard that the computer reads driving style? IDK if its tru but if i start the car and after warm up drive like a maniac the RPM's seem to hold before downshifting (AUTO TRANS) were as if I drive normal with no heavy acceleration the car is much less likely to hold the gears.
Intake Res. Delete
6000K HID (Retro Solutions)
No DRL's
HFP Front Lip
V6 Spoiler
Eibach Sportline Springs
25MM spacers in rear
Custom License Plate Bracket
TSX Switch Blade Key
6000k Interior & License Plate LED
Passport 8500 Hardwired w/Smart Button
Factory Alarm w/ Remote Start off Factory Remote
Pioneer Avic N-3 w/Ipod adapter & Steering Controls
JL Audio 12" W3 w/ TMA 1000W Mono Amp
30% Tint on sides, 5% on Rear
TSX 17mm RSB
Fogs
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
banned

alright cool thanks ypsibird. I will check later on today. My cuz said I was just being extremely paranoid.

I have a custom magnaflow exhaust and the exhaust shop just cut off my old muffler and welded the new one on. So I don't think my problem is with the converter.

LOL wow dennis always complaining about me being not lowered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.