03 EX Audio/HVAC Display Repair Procedure - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Smile 03 EX Audio/HVAC Display Repair Procedure

First off, thanks to everyone who posted their stories of this problem here and on other boards, now I'd like to share my story.

If you don't already know, the 03-04 Accord EX's have a defect in the audio unit that results in the radio display as well as the backlighting for the HVAC controls to go out. Honda was aware of this a long time ago and issued a Service Bulletin that calls for the replacement of the audio unit ($486.30 at slhondaparts.com).

Now donít go out and spend $486 if you are out of warranty, there is an excellent chance that you can get a replacement radio for free from Honda.

I have an 03 EX and had this problem occur about a month ago. I searched the boards and found the SB. After reading how other people called Honda Customer Service and were able to get their radio replaced even when they were out of the warranty, I gave it a shot. I called HCS and told them about my problem and how I found the SB and that I wanted to have the audio unit replaced for free. They gave me a claim number and said I would be contacted within a few days. Someone did call in a few days and they said I needed to have a dealer diagnose the problem, then they would let me know what they were going to do. I brought the car in to my dealer and told them I have this problem with the audio/hvac display and I called HCS and they said to bring it in for a diagnosis. I thought someone could look at it real quick and I'd be on my way. Well, an hour later they hand me my key and the security code for the new radio! They had one in stock and they went ahead and replaced it. I asked if they wanted my claim number with HCS, they said "sure, if you have it."

Bottom line, don't despair, call HCS first and make them aware of your case. Honda is obviously aware that this is a major problem affecting a lot of vehicles. How many dealers stock a $400+ replacement audio unit?

Now how many people would love to see the Service Bulletins posted to the Honda Owner-Link site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
I tried a couple of years ago to talk Honda into putting the bulletins, campaigns & such on the owner link...they told me that it's not a "honda" company running it & they wouldn't do it.

It would be a great idea!!!

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

What if display is fine ,but no illumination on the knobs/buttons. Still the same problem? will 04-027 work?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
nope. that's more likely to be a bulb or wire.

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
1st Gear

There is a service bulletin on this. The warranty was extended to 7 years, 160,000 km. My 2003 accord had the dim display (radio & heater controls) but everything worked fine. I was over the 7 year extension on the warranty but under the mileage extension (remember warranty terms are whichever comes first). I called Honda Canada and explained. I was told to get it "officially" diagnosed at the dealership which I did (they did not charge for this). Quote was $50 for the part (dim kit - aka a circuit board) and 1.5 hrs labour ($140). Called Honda Canada with the details. They called the dealership to confirm and worked out a deal for me. They covered the part and the labour was magically reduced to 0.8 hours. So for $75 (I paid for 0.8 hrs labour), I got the whole repair done including parts. Seemed fair to me since the car is 8 years old. Could have done it for around $60 myself but definitely not worth the savings of only $15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.