Anyone use Pennzoil Ultra? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Fluid Dynamics

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM
4th Gear

Anyone use Pennzoil Ultra?

Seems to be a lot of push for this oil. It has a hefty price tag for a 5qt jug too. Anyone use it yet? I normally use 5w-20 M1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Both have been awsome in many cars/applications. After spending this winter in South Georgia, and working in construction I'm pretty much stuck on synthetics now. I'd be leaving for work at 3am-5am and it was in the low 20's many days. Let's say the QuickLube service oil sucked. Rattled, sounded horrible on those cold mornings. I couldn't stand it anymore so I did a service myself on the company car and used a AC Delco filter and 5-30 PP. Never had cold start up noise again. That was my experience that sold me on synthetics. I'm sure M1 would have done just as well, but PP was the only one available when I was in the store.
2007 EX-L Sedan, 2.4L, 5spd Manual, USA-Spec Ipod Interface, OEM Auto dimming compass Rear view mirror, OEM Fog Light kit, Goodyear Fuel Max tires @35psi, Magnetic Drain plugs in Trans & Engine. 36.55 MPG Best tank so far (336mi/9.193gal). M1 & P1 filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM
. . .

Need to use up the Platinum before I try the Ultra... but that'll take 5 years.

$28 for a 5 qt jug isn't too bad considering Plat. is $20-$23 a jug.

Maybe Pennzoil will have a rebate offer on it this summer?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 AM
'10 CBP Çøüpé

Amsoil all the way. Fully synthetic with preferred membership I think is just under 24 USD for a gallon, if you are a dealer we get it a little less than that but I order 2k worth at a time.

Synthetic blend 5w-20 is 2 dollar per quart cheaper.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 AM
4th Gear

I don't use ScamOil b/c of their sales method. And yes I've tried it a few times in my Vette. Car started using 1qt every 3k on it. Switched back to M1 or Valv Dino.
2007 EX-L Sedan, 2.4L, 5spd Manual, USA-Spec Ipod Interface, OEM Auto dimming compass Rear view mirror, OEM Fog Light kit, Goodyear Fuel Max tires @35psi, Magnetic Drain plugs in Trans & Engine. 36.55 MPG Best tank so far (336mi/9.193gal). M1 & P1 filter.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
'10 CBP Çøüpé

Interesting, meh, all has been well in my cars, do be careful you prepare your engine for full synthetic if it's not new for sure
Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
4th Gear

I switched a 1984 2.8L Supra with 168k miles on it over to M1 back in 1999. Never had an issue. Just wish I had done 10-30 or 5-30 instead of the 15w-50. All the rednecks I grew up around love thick oil.... Now I look for the thinnest oil within the factory spec weight. I know 5w-20 M1 is thicker than 5w-20 PP or Ultra.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W-20 on my 8th gen' Accord I4 A.T.

If anything (perhaps 6 months from now or ~7.5k miles, as I'm at 100% on the MM), I'm leaning towards Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 0W-20 in the next oil-change or even Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20, as both are at the same price-point of ~$22'ish for a 5-quart jug.

This Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic is gaining curious individuals in tuner/sports-car/sports-coupe circles, largely due to their recent marketing campaign & Ferrari endorsement.

This new Pennzoil Ultra offering is priced at par w/ the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, both at/near ~$28'ish for a 5-quart jug (as aforementioned by ngh).

{a few Honda/Acura vehicles in the past/present/future}
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
'10 CBP Çøüpé

Thick oil is usually preferred on cars that had mixed backgrounds with upkeep and changes from synthetic to real petro or blends thereof. All SAE 5w-20 is same thickness at starting and max running temps, SAE sets there ratings by 0º F to 212ºF and through flow of the oil, our SAE 20 flows between 15 and 24 seconds. But all with same #s will be same thickness.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Any comments about running 0W-20 synthetic on a leisurely driven, bone-stock 8th gen' Accord I4 A.T. sedan (as opposed to 5W-20 synthetic)? I'm in a warm/hot climate that occasionally sees sub-freezing temps during a few months.

FWIW, Pennzoil Ultra seemingly only comes in 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-60.

Reference: http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra

Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
'10 CBP Çøüpé

Pennzoil isn't fully synthetic, most synthetics are actual synthetic blends. When it is fully synthetic price jumps up considerably. 0w-20 will be more than fine on fully synthetic oil, I've used it and 0w-30 on my race engines for nearly a decade
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonichonda View Post
Pennzoil isn't fully synthetic, most synthetics are actual synthetic blends...
I see such comments often w/ regards to Mobil 1, as well.

Why/how can Pennzoil state "full synthetic" for the Platinum & Ultra lines of motor-oils?

Reference:

Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
'10 CBP Çøüpé

pretty sure that particular product is fully synthetic, I dont see an asterix after it, but can send a sample of it off to bobistheoilguy.com and other places to confirm
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
Any comments about running 0W-20 synthetic on a leisurely driven, bone-stock 8th gen' Accord I4 A.T. sedan (as opposed to 5W-20 synthetic)? I'm in a warm/hot climate that occasionally sees sub-freezing temps during a few months.

FWIW, Pennzoil Ultra seemingly only comes in 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-60.

Reference: http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra
It also comes in 5W-20 and 10W-30. 0W-20 is going to be added in the near future. If the OEM's start requiring it, 0W-30 and 0W-40 will be added too.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
. . .

Pennzoil Ultra FAQ:

Quote:
1. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ replace Pennzoil Platinum®, or will both remain available?

No. Pennzoil Platinum® is a great oil with a very loyal following. Pennzoil Ultra™ sets a new tier in engine cleansing, performance and protection.

2. Will Pennzoil® make any recommendations for extended drain intervals for Pennzoil Ultra™?

No. It is the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) who set the oil drain interval for their particular vehicle engines. Pennzoil® stands by the vehicle manufacturers recommendation, whether this is 3,000 miles or 15,000 miles. We are confident our products will excel as long as the Pennzoil® motor oil selected meets the requirements outlined in the owner’s manual. For example, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 is approved by BMW, Mercedes Benz and VW for extended drain intervals.

3. What is the TBN of Pennzoil Ultra™?

TBN, varies by viscosity grade and specifications and can be within a specific range. The TBN for Pennzoil Ultra™ is approximately 11.4. At Pennzoil® we focus on the product’s overall engine performance rather than a specific analytical number.

4. What is the main anti-wear additive?

As you might expect we are not able to disclose our formulation secrets. What we can tell you is that Pennzoil Ultra™ contains a unique anti-wear system that is a variant of (ZDDP or ZDTP) Zinc DiThioPhosphate and is designed to protect the engine from wear in different ways under different operating conditions. However, this is only part of our anti-wear componentry.

5. Will the Hyper Cleaning additives be visible in a UOA (Used Oil Analysis)?

A standard UOA may not necessarily identify the Hyper Cleansing Technology™ additives.

6. Are there any other viscosities planned?

Yes. A 0W-20 viscosity will be added in the near future.

7. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ be available in 0W20, 0W30 and 0W40 grades? And will you try to make them available at retail stores when you have these grades?

Yes. A 0W-20 viscosity will be added in the near future. The 0W-30 & 0W-40 viscosity grades may be added if the OEM’s require it. We assure you when 0W-20 becomes available and if 0W-30 & 0W-40 become available, we will work with our retail customers to make these vis-grades available.

8. Pennzoil Platinum® 0W20, 0W30 and 5W40 are available only online, when do you plan to have these grades in retail stores such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, Wal-Mart?

These vis-grades across all motor oils have not been high in demand to justify Retailers having them on the shelf. We assure you we are working with our retail customers to make these vis-grades more available as we anticipate growing demand.

9. Could you provide a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra™?

Yes. VOA’s (Viscosity Oil Analysis) already exist on the www.pennzoil.com website. We have provided our technical data sheets for your ease of reference.

10. What type of testing methods and engines were used in the testing of Pennzoil Ultra™?

All international and OEM specific engine and bench tests required to meet the specification claims were used, as well as extensive field testing covering US, European and Japanese engines.

Pennzoil® also uses knowledge gained from taxi fleets in New York City, Las Vegas and overseas.

Our technical relationship with the professional race teams like Richard Childress and Ferrari provides additional insights into building great oils.

11. Are the base stocks group III, IV, or V?

Pennzoil Ultra™ is blended with Group III base stocks. These give superior solvency performance to Group IV base stocks, which we believe aids our aim to provide oil that delivers as close to “Factory Clean”. Rather than focus on any single component in the formulation, we focus on the end product.

12. Has Pennzoil Ultra™ been tested against European ACEA standards?

The TDS (Technical Data Sheets) on the Pennzoil® website currently shows the three of the six Pennzoil Ultra™ viscosity grades that meet the North American and Asian standards. The European versions of Pennzoil Ultra™ indeed exceed all of the relevant ACEA specifications and European OEM specifications. Thank you for drawing this to our attention. We will add all TDS sheets to our website.

13. A VOA performed on this board showed a significant amount of boron in the formulation of Pennzoil Ultra™.

The function of the boron in Pennzoil Ultra™ formulations is one of protection for non-ferrous metals and sealing materials.

14. Has Pennzoil® incorporated any type of Esters into the base oil blend for Pennzoil Ultra™?

No ester base oils were used or are required in the Pennzoil Ultra™ range.

15. Will Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 replace the Pennzoil Platinum® Euro 5W-40? When will we see the Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-40 in stores?

In the near future we will only have Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40. We are working with our retail customers to make these vis-grades available.

16. Do you plan on lowering the price of Pennzoil Ultra™ to be more competitive?

Pennzoil Ultra™ is our most advanced motor oil with exceptional cleansing, protection and performance. We also have our next best oil, Pennzoil Platinum® for those who are seeking a great synthetic motor oil at a more affordable price.

17. You state that Pennzoil Ultra™ already meets the new SN standards. As a current user of Pennzoil® Conventional motor oil, will you be upgrading your other product lines, Pennzoil Platinum®, Pennzoil® Conventional, etc to the SN standard anytime in the near future as well?

Yes, we will and always do upgrade Pennzoil® motor oils when the industry specifications are upgraded. Members of our technology group participate and lead in various industry committees that define oil specifications. We will have our products ready for the upcoming needs of our industry.

18. If it is not proprietary, can you say with no ambiguity, Pennzoil Ultra™ (as well as other Pennzoil oils) made only from what is known as "Pennsylvania crude" coming from Pennsylvania, and the surrounding states?

No, we do not use 100% Pennsylvania crude in Pennzoil® motor oil. Let’s put it this way. Even if the Pennsylvania crude oil was the absolute best crude oil, the volume is simply not there to keep up with our current demand. We have the formulation expertise to build exactly what we need at any of our plants.

19. Will you produce a special version of Pennzoil Ultra™ made with group IV and or group V true synthetic base stocks?

At Pennzoil our goal is to make synthetic motor oils that provide performance for our consumers that is not available from conventional or synthetic blends. All Group III, IV & V base stocks are considered synthetic. They all have attributes in terms of lubricant performance. E.g. Solvency, film strength, film thickness, wear performance, etc. Our formulators use one or a combination of base stocks with the required characteristics to meet whatever the challenge we are facing.

20. Has Pennzoil® incorporated any type of Esters into the base oil blend for Pennzoil Ultra™?

No ester base oils were used or are required in the Pennzoil Ultra™ range.

21. How much of Pennzoil Ultra™ technology was derived from racing with your partnerships with RCR?

As you can imagine, the NASCAR engines begin in pristine condition because each component must function with precise clarity as originally engineered. The real technical benefit of working with the NASCAR team has been their perspective on which formulations perform well or do not perform well, which has allowed us to better understand how each component impacts the overall formulation.

22. Why are European Grades different from that sold in the USA -- Different as in lower quality?

The European oils are not inferior or superior to those sold in the United States. They are two separate systems and meet different engine performance requirements. In the US, one of the top requirements for engine oils is that they must contribute to fuel efficiency. European engines require different types of oil in terms of (HTHS) High Temperature High Shear, viscosity and also application. Europe also has a large light duty diesel engine fleet.

Each system is balanced to favor issues that exist with regard to the types of engines, fuels and driving habits in each market. Thus the testing reflects these differences and oils are formulated to provide protection and cleanliness based on the demands of each system.

23. Can you please provide HT/HS?

High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) varies with viscosity grade. Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-20 =2.7, Pennzoil Ultra™ 5W-30 = 3.0, Pennzoil Ultra™ 10W-30 = 3.0, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-30 = 3.5, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 = 3.7, Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 10W-60 and Pennzoil Ultra™ Racing = 4.7.

24. When will Pennzoil Ultra™ be available in Canada?

Unfortunately, we have not yet launched Pennzoil Ultra™ in Canada. We do plan to do so in the near future.

25. Will there be a Pennzoil Ultra™ synthetic ATF?

Cool idea! We’ll see.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM
. . .

FAQ continued:

Quote:
26. Are there plans to use the Pennzoil Ultra™ add-pack or a % of the Pennzoil Ultra™ base oil in other Pennzoil products? If so, which ones?

No. The Hyper Cleansing Technology™ used in Pennzoil Ultra™ may raise the overall price of other Pennzoil® products to the end consumer. We would like to avoid this where possible. We have very good Active Cleansing Technology in our other Pennzoil® motor oils.

27. What oil was the 'standard oil' in the ASTM sequence III G test in the dirty/clean piston display on the Pennzoil® website?

The point is to show you the visible difference between what good oil can do and what Pennzoil Ultra™ can do if both oils undergo the same test.

28. Does Pennzoil Ultra™ meet or exceed the performance of M1EP?

At Pennzoil® we do not comment on competitive products. However, we are confident Pennzoil Ultra™ is helping establish a new tier in motor oils.

29. I've learned Shell has the expertise on GTL (Group 3+). Known as The Pearl project. Could Shell enlighten us what is GTL and how it performs? Also is the GTL included with the Pennzoil Ultra™.

GTL (Gas To Liquid) is a Group III base stock produced from natural gas. Shell has operated this technology since the 1990’s and the base oil is sold today under the Shell XHVI (Extra High Viscosity Index) brand. The Pearl project is a new much larger plant that will supply Shell XHVI base oil in a larger quantity globally.

Pennzoil® will always be looking for advantages for Pennzoil Ultra™, thus new base oils will be fully considered for future formulations to achieve enhanced performance for our products.

30. Other than cleaning, what benefits are there in changing from Pennzoil Platinum®?

The Pennzoil Ultra™ formulation is a very robust product! In addition to the credentials posted on the label, Pennzoil Ultra™ has outstanding cleansing capabilities, turbo performance, great wear protection, excellent shear stability, etc. You also have access to a 15 year/500,000 mile limited warranty.

31. I have a Direct Injection engine and it is highly suspected that using oil with a NOACK rating over 10% is not good for DI engines. Since Pennzoil Ultra™ is over 10% would Pennzoil® guarantee no deposits to form on the valves of DI engines?

Oil volatility is not a significant factor for inlet valve deposits in a direct injection gasoline engine. The significant factor is viscosity modifier type and concentration, so using fully synthetic narrow span viscosity grades such as 5W-20 is beneficial. In North America, there is no specification calling for NOACK of less than 10%. The most important thing for DI engines is engine design, to better prevent deposits on ITV’s (In Take Valves), since there is no fuel wash as in PFI (Port Fuel Injection) engines.

Unfortunately, offering a guarantee against deposits would be tough since so many other variables could impact the outcome.

32. Would Pennzoil® recommend Pennzoil Ultra™ for use in a factory fresh engine?

Absolutely. This would be the optimal use for the new range of Pennzoil Ultra™ to maximize - “Factory clean”. Some OEMs use synthetic oil as factory fill. Based on our experience with NASCAR teams and others, we recommend our synthetic oils for breaking in new engines.

33. When you do release a Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-20 will it meet the Toyota and Honda requirement for low viscosity oil? I.e., a low 40C viscosity spec' significantly under 40cSt.

Yes, when we do introduce a 0W-20 viscosity grade it will meet the specifications of OEM’s that require it at the time.

34. Would you consider bring out 30wt version of Ultra that meets ACEA A3 standards (HT/HS of at least 3.5) for those of us with more sporting, or high performance engines? I think that is what everyone is trying to imply with their HT/HS questions. WRX's, Evos, RSX's etc. A competitor to Castrol 0W30 and Red Line 5W30.

The two European versions of Pennzoil Ultra™ are there to meet this requirement. They both meet ACEA A3. The Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro 5W-40 has a HT/HS viscosity of 3.7 and 10W-60 is 4.7.

35. If Pennzoil Ultra™ is so good why does it have to be changed every four months or 4K miles in order to make a lubricant related warranty claim?

Regarding Pennzoil’s position on oil drain intervals, we standby the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation. If the vehicle manufacturer recommends 3,000 miles or 15,000 miles for drain intervals, we are more than confident our products will excel as long as the Pennzoil® oil selected meets the requirements outlined in the owner’s manual.

Given the variety of oil drain interval recommendations from vehicle manufacturers including custom intervals set by oil life indicators, Pennzoil chose 4,000 miles as a single data point to apply to all participants. If your vehicle manufacturer recommends drain intervals shorter than 4,000 miles, Pennzoil strongly recommends adhering to those requirements to maintain both your vehicle warranty and your Pennzoil warranty.

36. The super clean piston picture from Pennzoil Ultra™ versus current standard. I would like more info on the dirty versus clean piston, are the pistons from the same mileage, or hours would be even more of a comparison between engines? I would like more specific information as to the piston comparison information such as oil used for both (if you do not want to give brand name please list the oil specifications used in current "dirty piston"). Heat, fuel used, hours test ran each piston, load on piston, the complete test in an easy to understand breakdown would be awesome.

Agreed. The test used to generate the piston pictures is an industry standard ASTM test run in a real engine on a dynamometer at an industry-approved third-party lab. The two pistons were run in the standard Sequence IIIG piston deposit test, using the same fuel, the test hours and the same test conditions; the only thing that was different was the oil used to run the test. You can see a synopsis of the all of the industry test procedures online at www.SwRI.com.

37. What is the relationship (differences) between the Formula Shell®, Quaker State® and Pennzoil® product lines?

We are all one company under the Shell Group, but we understand that consumers have a very strong brand preference – for whatever the reason. We respect this and have marketers and formulations to support the different brands. Rest assured that the specific formulations for Formula Shell®, Quaker State® and Pennzoil® are different from each other.

38. Can Pennzoil Ultra™ provide protection for the maximum oil change interval recommended in an owner's manual or by the oil life sensor?

Yes. Our oils will meet ANY of the drain intervals set by the OEM as long as the Pennzoil® oil meets the viscosity and credentials specified in the owner’s manual.

39. Will you offer Pennzoil Ultra™ coupon(s)/rebate(s) to members of BITOG?

We are so encouraged by the interest in Pennzoil Ultra™ by BITOG fans we have a special on-line offer for you.. Take a look at the new banner ad on BITOG. If you purchase Pennzoil Ultra™, you can receive an authentic Scuderia Ferrari cap! Follow the on-line instructions, fill out the request form, and we will send you a cap in the mail while stocks last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.