20 Amp fuse replaced with 30 Amp - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

20 Amp fuse replaced with 30 Amp

Hi:

Well I solved the problem I had with my brake lights and my gear being stuck in park. Saturday night my car alarm kept going off and then Sunday morning is when my brakes lights and gear would not shift out of park. SInce then I have relaized that my horn and brake lights are hooked to the same wire. Well I took out the 20 amp fuse and it was blown, and everytime I put a new 20 amp in, it would blow. Then I put a thirty amp in and now I can shift gears and my break lights work. Will this 30 amp fuse cause me a problem with the car in any way. I am sure that there is still some type of problem because I should not have had to use a 30 amp fuse. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
If the wire is designed to handle 20 amps, it will probably not be happy and get hot if more than 20 amps is passed through it.

Nothing probably will happen right now, but something definitely isn't right. The worst I can see happening is over the time the terminals will get hot and cooking the plastic they're attached to. Other than that, wire insulation can get hot and melt and probably start a fire.

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Out of Control

very bad. find the problem before smoke and fire show you where its at... not good to over fuse a blowing fuse.

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Sounds like there's a short somewhere (door switches, brakes light or ignition wires). Putting a 30A fuse in place of a 20A fuse is very bad! You're just gave your car an invitation to a firery death! If you can't find out what it is with the 20A fuse in place, take it in!
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
4th Gear

Very Bad Idea. Problems can arise as previously stated. Mainly, fires can start very easily when improper fuses are used. Secondly, if you do have a problem, forget your warranty. It's void if you use higher amp fuses (and they find out).

Did you have an aftermarket alarm? If you do and that's causing the problem, bring it back and have them rewire it correctly. The power wire for the alarm is usually taken off the ignition harness. You should never have to up the amperage of a fuse.
2003 BMW 325i - Sapphire Black
1998 Accord EX V-6, Nighthawk Black Pearl
Old 12-13-2005, 05:54 PM
K20A3 > F22A1

Even though lots of others have said this, allow me to join in and say:

Bad Idea

As one of my professors at Tech used to say: "Fuses are there to protect the wires, not you."

Replacing a 20A fuse with a 30A one will most likely result in a fire.
04 RSX (Nighthawk Black Pearl) - 37,000 mi

Recent Departures:
------------
93 Accord LX (Arcadia Green Pearl) - 224,000 mi
"Bye my little green car, I'll miss you!!!"
Old 12-13-2005, 06:38 PM
6th Gear

It's a very good idea to keep with your original post.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:18 AM
1st Gear

Cool 30 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach
Very Bad Idea. Problems can arise as previously stated. Mainly, fires can start very easily when improper fuses are used. Secondly, if you do have a problem, forget your warranty. It's void if you use higher amp fuses (and they find out).

Did you have an aftermarket alarm? If you do and that's causing the problem, bring it back and have them rewire it correctly. The power wire for the alarm is usually taken off the ignition harness. You should never have to up the amperage of a fuse.
My alarm was going off Saturday night and SUnday morning my horn did not work anymore and my car was stuck in park. I now have the 20 amp fuse back in the car, but I had the person who installed the alarm disonnect it from my horn. NOw everytime I blow my horn, I blow the fuse.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

Took out 30 AMP fuse

Took out the 30 AMP fuse. Went to the shop where my alarm was installed. Had them disconnect the alarm from my horn, and now I can shift out of park without using key. But now even though my alarm is disconnected from my horn, everytime I blow my horn I short out my fuse. What could it be? Do you think I shorted out the horn and now I new a new horn? IN the meantime I do not have a horn to blow.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 AM
1st Gear

Well,

It's guaranteed that you have a short, and it sounds like it's somewhere between your steering column, and your horns (obviously)...

How did they tie the alarm into your Horn system?? Did they go to a fuse block, or did they use the vampire style connectors to tap into the wire??

JT
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 AM
4th Gear

If the horn circuit was working fine when you took it in and not after the alarm install, bring it back to the shop and give them a chance to find the problem. Have the shop disconnect the control module itself, not just the horn. Very easy to unplug it. If you exhaust that avenue, tell them you will bring it to the dealer and have them fix it and give the bill to them to pay. If you think the horn itself is bad, unplug it and hit the horn button. If it still blows, there is a short in the wiring. If it doesn't, the problem is the horn itself.
2003 BMW 325i - Sapphire Black
1998 Accord EX V-6, Nighthawk Black Pearl
Old 12-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda Nation

You need to have the people who installed your alarm trouble shoot this.... sounds like they messed something up. Tell them even if they have to remove the entire security system box, siren, any relays they installed, and put all your factory wiring back the way it was to troubleshoot and THEN reinstall everything, they need to do that, and you shouldn't have to pay them a dime.

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.