99 accord - check engine - Flashing D4 light - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

99 accord - check engine - Flashing D4 light

Hi all. Great forum. Long time lurker, first time post. I have 3 Hondas at this time and could/should post pic's some day.

Daughters - 99 Accord EX Sedan 4 cyl 5AT (previously my car for 6 years)
Wife's - 03 Odysey EX
Mine - 05 Accord EX V6 Sedan

On to the problem. We recently had a remote starter added to the 99 Accord. It starts the car fine, but recently the check engine light came on and I'm not sure if it's related to the remote start or not as they had problems getting past the Honda security.

When the car is started and let idle for a say 10 minutes, then my daughter puts the key in the ignition, turns it to on, applys the brake (should disengage the remote start), then puts the car in reverse. The D4 light begins flashing and the car shifts much more noticibally than usual. The check engine light came on the first time and is still on at this time.

Before I take the car to the dealer, I'd really like your thoughts on possible problems/solutions.

Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's probably unrelated to the remote start, because you say the shifts are much more noticeable. Sounds more like your transmission is about to sign off on you. You can check the engine light using this method...don't let a mechanic tell you that it's not possible to use this method on an OBD-II car, I've done it and it works

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/engine_codes/index.php
Old 12-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Can you say 270HP?

Did the place that installed the remote starter tamper with the electircal system? Because if important componets can't get the power they ask for you will see lots (maybe all) the lights on the dash come on. When my battery was on its last leg, the SRS, Check Engine, Low Fuel, Oil Pressure, Shift Indicator, lights ALL lit up and I thought the ECU was going but it was a battery. Putting remote starts on 98-and up Accords as I have been told, is an all around bad idea. THis is because of the ignition coding. Now your trannie is most likely shot. Sorry to say it, but most everyone on this thread would have to agree that the 98-02 Auto Trannies are always failing left and right. There may be a TSB on the issue. Hopefully princess (one of the members) can give us some insight. The harsh shifting is an issue if anything. Hopefully we can all help in some respect. But wecome to the familiy.
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P. , 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001 , 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
Old 12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

One item I left out of the original post. The tranny shifts fine using remote start for a short period of time (couple of minutes) or started via the key. Only when the remote start is used for 10 or more minutes do I have a problem. This morning after letting the car warm up for about 10 minutes, it did shift hard. I then turn off the engine and restarted with the key. It ran fine after that.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Using Benji's link above (Thanks!), I was able to get the check engine code which reported as a 7. According to the information from the above site this is a Throttle Position Sensor circuit low (or high) input reading.

In addition to the check engine code, the green light around the D4 indicator was flashing for 5 times, paused, then repeated this cycle. Is this significant?

Steve
Old 12-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

If it's the throttle position sensor, then my guess is that they are related, especially after you say that it doesn't happen when you don't use the remote start. Take it back to the installer and see what they say. They might tell you to go to the dealer and bring them the bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Can you say 270HP?

And if they don't help you at all reset the CEL. And see if the issue comes back. I never get anything replaced unless I see a performance issue when the CEL is on, I always reset iy because Honda isn't exactly great at making the sensors talk to the computer the right way. But do as Ben said. Tell us what they say... If you could I'd ask them for a refund, and to take the thing off. I don't know how much the remote start means to you, but I think its a bad idea on newer Accords (98+). Others may disagree though.
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P. , 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001 , 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
Old 12-18-2005, 08:13 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
5 flashes...p0705 is usually

"Check for short in the wire between the D6 terminal and the transmission range switch or A/T gear position indicator, and check for an open in the wires between the B20 and B22 terminals and body ground (G101). If wires are OK, check for loose terminal fit in the PCM connectors. If necessary, substitute a known-good PCM and recheck."

or the transmission range switch or A/T gear position indicator have gone bad.

according to the trouble shooting chart.

So it's likely just a wiring thing that definately could've been brought on my the new addition.

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM
6th Gear

I agree with Accord4Life, I would have them remove the remote starter. I would do this b/c you said they had a hard time getting past the Honda security! This is not a shop that I would want touching my car.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 AM
1st Gear

Good news....

Based on information from this site, I spoke with the installers and explained the two specific problems we were ahving with the remote starter. I explained they had one final attempt to resolve the problems or remove the system in its entirety. A few hours later they call stating that it is fixed. This occured the week before Christmas.

Sure enough it is working just fine to thsi day. Thanks much for everyones comments! What a forum!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
care to stay for a while, and pull up a chair???
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.