DIY Gen7 steering wheel controls and how to retain stock headunit sound - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > DIY

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Out of Control

DIY Gen7 steering wheel controls and how to retain stock headunit sound

I have been getting a lot of PMs about how I got my navigation to work in conjuction with my aftermarket radio, and also keep my steering wheel controls(audio,talk/back), I will just post a thread so I can refer anyone back here when they ask about it.

First, lets explain the steering wheel buttons.

Take a look at this wiring diagram I found in this forum courtesy of Princess
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...3&d=1237598092

Those are all the wires that come out from the back of the stock radio(navi or non-navi). As you can see in the pins 3 and 11, those are the wire signals that go from the steering wheel audio control buttons to the stock radio. Also, pins 12 and 13 are wire signals from the talk and back buttons. One look at the aftermarket harness from scosche or metra, and you can see that pins for those are MISSING on the harness. What you will need to do is basically somehow make a connection in the empty pin sockets. Easiest thing to do is probably to find a spare harness somewhere and extract the pins out of there(make sure to identify if its male or female pins). Use those pins and place it in the corresponding placement for the steering wheel controls as indicated in the wiring diagram.

This is an example of the work you will need to do:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4362697_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3344196_n.jpg

However I also heard from user Janos about this harness: http://www.carxtc.com/servlet/the-21...X-Radio/Detail

supposedly its an identical replica of the OEM harness so it should already have the pins for the steering wheel controls and maybe the talk/back buttons. If that is true, it will be easier to buy one of those and start working on that one because it comes with more pins already.

So there, that should cover WHY it doesn't work and what you will need to do to get it working again....On the same note, you can also buy one of those steering wheel audio control adapters and tap into those same wires and connect it to your aftermarket radio to control that instead.

Now, lets go into how to make the stock headunit play sound after installing an aftermarket headunit.

Look back at the harness connecting into the stock headunit. Previously you have saw that it doesn't have any pins for the steering wheel buttons, but take another look and you will also see that it does not have any wires for speaker output! This is why your stock headunit cannot play any sound.

Now, there is more than one way to do this. You can buy a harness from metra part #71-1721 which is the harness that goes into the back of the headunit, or you can use the harness I posted above: http://www.carxtc.com/servlet/the-21...X-Radio/Detail

With either of these harnesses, you will have the speaker wire pins coming out from the back of the headunit, which you can use in any way you want. What I did was use a Hi/low converter from sonicelectronix($5) to convert the stock headunit signal to a low level rca signal. Most hi/low converters can input 2 channels, so I took the front left and front right(makes the most sense). I then bought a RCA to 3.5mm aux converter cable to change the rca output to a commonly used 3.5mm aux line found on ALL aftermarket radios.

This is the Hi/Low converter I got: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+Adapter.html
and this is the RCA to 3.5mm aux converter cable I got: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Plug the 3.5mm end into your aftermarket radio so whenever you switch to the AUX input, you can hear the stock radio play again!

This is a picture of how clean it can look, just have the 3.5mm cable coming out through the hole in the dash kit:

Hope this write-up will help out many audio system builders!
Colipto (06-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
i thought this was more relevant to 7th gens so I posted in the 7th gen section. However, mods feel free to move this thread to the DIY section (I dont think I can move it myself?)
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
I have been getting a lot of PMs about how I got my navigation to work in conjuction with my aftermarket radio, and also keep my steering wheel controls(audio,talk/back), I will just post a thread so I can refer anyone back here when they ask about it.

First, lets explain the steering wheel buttons.

Take a look at this wiring diagram I found in this forum courtesy of Princess
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...3&d=1237598092

Those are all the wires that come out from the back of the stock radio(navi or non-navi). As you can see in the pins 3 and 11, those are the wire signals that go from the steering wheel audio control buttons to the stock radio. Also, pins 12 and 13 are wire signals from the talk and back buttons. One look at the aftermarket harness from scosche or metra, and you can see that pins for those are MISSING on the harness. What you will need to do is basically somehow make a connection in the empty pin sockets. Easiest thing to do is probably to find a spare harness somewhere and extract the pins out of there(make sure to identify if its male or female pins). Use those pins and place it in the corresponding placement for the steering wheel controls as indicated in the wiring diagram.

This is an example of the work you will need to do:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4362697_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3344196_n.jpg

However I also heard from user Janos about this harness: http://www.carxtc.com/servlet/the-21...X-Radio/Detail

supposedly its an identical replica of the OEM harness so it should already have the pins for the steering wheel controls and maybe the talk/back buttons. If that is true, it will be easier to buy one of those and start working on that one because it comes with more pins already.

So there, that should cover WHY it doesn't work and what you will need to do to get it working again....On the same note, you can also buy one of those steering wheel audio control adapters and tap into those same wires and connect it to your aftermarket radio to control that instead.

Now, lets go into how to make the stock headunit play sound after installing an aftermarket headunit.

Look back at the harness connecting into the stock headunit. Previously you have saw that it doesn't have any pins for the steering wheel buttons, but take another look and you will also see that it does not have any wires for speaker output! This is why your stock headunit cannot play any sound.

Now, there is more than one way to do this. You can buy a harness from metra part #71-1721 which is the harness that goes into the back of the headunit, or you can use the harness I posted above: http://www.carxtc.com/servlet/the-21...X-Radio/Detail

With either of these harnesses, you will have the speaker wire pins coming out from the back of the headunit, which you can use in any way you want. What I did was use a Hi/low converter from sonicelectronix($5) to convert the stock headunit signal to a low level rca signal. Most hi/low converters can input 2 channels, so I took the front left and front right(makes the most sense). I then bought a RCA to 3.5mm aux converter cable to change the rca output to a commonly used 3.5mm aux line found on ALL aftermarket radios.

This is the Hi/Low converter I got: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+Adapter.html
and this is the RCA to 3.5mm aux converter cable I got: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Plug the 3.5mm end into your aftermarket radio so whenever you switch to the AUX input, you can hear the stock radio play again!

This is a picture of how clean it can look, just have the 3.5mm cable coming out through the hole in the dash kit:

Hope this write-up will help out many audio system builders!
nice dude. i always wondered if this was possible since i have a after market HU as well. my only question is do you hear any hissing or static when you play audio from the Stock HU? i have '05 Accord EX and before i installed my Kenwood HU i used my Stock HU with Apline Type R speakers and a subwoofer and i used to hear terrible hissing come out through the speakers and forced me to buy a after market unit. Also i use my AUX input to play my zune in my Kenwood HU. can i have both hooked up to the same AUX input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by highercal View Post
nice dude. i always wondered if this was possible since i have a after market HU as well. my only question is do you hear any hissing or static when you play audio from the Stock HU? i have '05 Accord EX and before i installed my Kenwood HU i used my Stock HU with Apline Type R speakers and a subwoofer and i used to hear terrible hissing come out through the speakers and forced me to buy a after market unit. Also i use my AUX input to play my zune in my Kenwood HU. can i have both hooked up to the same AUX input?
well there is a LITTLE hissing when played through the stock headunit, but honestly I only hear that when the volume is pretty high with little or no music playing. one problem with the stock headunit though, starting around volume 25 or so, there is noticeable sound quality degradation, and by 35 there is lots of distortion. So I usually keep the volume on my headunit lower to preserve sound quality and turn up the volume on my aftermarket radio.

Umm I guess you can have a 3.5mm aux cable Y splitter, it should work.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
well there is a LITTLE hissing when played through the stock headunit, but honestly I only hear that when the volume is pretty high with little or no music playing. one problem with the stock headunit though, starting around volume 25 or so, there is noticeable sound quality degradation, and by 35 there is lots of distortion. So I usually keep the volume on my headunit lower to preserve sound quality and turn up the volume on my aftermarket radio.

Umm I guess you can have a 3.5mm aux cable Y splitter, it should work.
how bad is the hissing? i want to use my stock HU XM feature as my kenwood requires a ridiculously overpriced adapter to play satellite radio. Also the links for the wire harness arnt working it always takes you to a page where the harness is not available.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
how bad is the hissing? i want to use my stock HU XM feature as my kenwood requires a ridiculously overpriced adapter to play satellite radio. Also the links for the wire harness arnt working it always takes you to a page where the harness is not available.
fixed the link.

its not bad at all, when music is playing, i dont hear it whatsoever. only when the volume is pretty high, and like suddenly theres a pause in the music or something, I might hear a little. Still, not to the point where it bothers me. Perhaps you had hissing due to other problems such as grounding?

I also think if I had a higher quality hi/low converter instead of the $5 one I got, the sound would improve, LOL.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
fixed the link.

its not bad at all, when music is playing, i dont hear it whatsoever. only when the volume is pretty high, and like suddenly theres a pause in the music or something, I might hear a little. Still, not to the point where it bothers me. Perhaps you had hissing due to other problems such as grounding?

I also think if I had a higher quality hi/low converter instead of the $5 one I got, the sound would improve, LOL.
Actually Best Buys "Geek Squad" advised that the radio couldnt handle all the wattage i have in my car (which is about 2000 peak and about 1300 RMS.) as soon as i popped in a Kenwood HU (which is totally ruins my interior due to their safari lights on the buttons) all the hissing went away. i wish i coulda kept my stock hu but i couldnt stand the annoying hissing. anyways i should give this a go since its literally a $20 job
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
fixed the link.

Does it play music on ALL your speakers? i noticed that you only hooked up your front speaker
Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Does it play music on ALL your speakers? i noticed that you only hooked up your front speaker
yes...because the converter only accepts 2 channels. but remember, an aux port only supports 2 channels(left and right) so basically your cable is filled and music plays from all speakers. granted the fade and balance function may not work so well anymore, but I dont see how that will be a problem for anyone.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

Send a message via AIM to korrupt3dazn Send a message via Skype™ to korrupt3dazn
sweet thanks for this thread paperboy :-D. now I know how to wire up my steering wheel control module.

Previous Cars:
2004 Accord EX-L I4
2000 Accord EX V6
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Just another old guy ....

Quote:
i thought this was more relevant to 7th gens so I posted in the 7th gen section. However, mods feel free to move this thread to the DIY section (I dont think I can move it myself?)
Thread moved to DIY section and "Gen7" added to title.

My youngest son, RIP 10/3/2004 (He was 19 at the time)
My mom, RIP 4/6/2011

Forum Rules: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19181
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrupt3dazn View Post
sweet thanks for this thread paperboy :-D. now I know how to wire up my steering wheel control module.
Did you wire up steering wheel control module? what model did you buy for wheel control module?
I have Honda Accord EX 2008, none of the buttons are working after installed aftermarket HU FARENHEIT F 81ACRD.

thanks,
Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Very helpful post, i was wondering why my steering wheel controls were not working when i installed a new 2 din HU using the metra kit.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

Just got that harness from carxtc... doesn't look like the pins are where they should be for steering wheel controls, I've attached some pics.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.