Damage from transmission flush? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Damage from transmission flush?

A few weeks ago my Dad asked me to change the transmission fluid in his 2007 I4 Accord with 90,000 miles. It was the original fluid. I found this site and learned from searching how it's done. I planned to do the 3 drain/refill method that others have done and use Honda ATF. I bought 9 quarts of ATF from a dealer at $7.11/quart. But my Dad forgot he asked me to do it and just had it done at Jiffy Lube instead. I asked him if it was drained/refilled or flushed and he wasn't sure. I asked because I read on here that flushing can cause problems. I looked at the receipt and it said 7 quarts of Penzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF were used. The total cost was $124. If it was flushed do you think it messed anything up and tore the filter? I'm debating if I should change the filter and fluid just in case. Please give me your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
5th Gear

Stick to honda fluids. Generic is not so good. Flush probably messed up a lot more than the filter. However the damage was probably already done in letting it go 90k.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
4th Gear

1st) Check your fluid, Some Juffy Lubes are known for scam (they charge for service that they never performed)
2nd) go buy 1 case of Z1, you can do some drain and refill!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleankill View Post
1st) Check your fluid, Some Juffy Lubes are known for scam (they charge for service that they never performed)
That would ****! But it's probably better in OP's case if this is what happened. The thing is, how would you tell whether they did it or not?

I'm with everyone here, go with Honda transmission fluid.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
. . .

Z1 will be fine. But Redline D4 would be better. It won't break down as quickly as Z1
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADriver06 View Post
That would ****! But it's probably better in OP's case if this is what happened. The thing is, how would you tell whether they did it or not?
It would be easy to tell since the OP left the factory fluid for 90K. If it's still there it's dark brown to black. If Jiffy put new fluid in there it should be some lighter color.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 AM
5th Gear

^Oops that's a great point cajun. I forgot about the part that fluids change color if they're left in the car for too long. I wouldn't know cuz I already changed mine ATF twice at 46k.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:13 AM
1st Gear

Last time I drove this car before the trans flush I noticed the gear selector changed gears with a little bit of a "slam". It used to be buttery smooth. Good idea to just change the fluid and filter right away to Honda ATF? or maybe the Penzoil should be okay for a shorter time interval?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 AM
7th Gear

I wouldn't trust Juffy Lube to change a light bulb.

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Sold the Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaudio2 View Post
Stick to honda fluids. Generic is not so good. Flush probably messed up a lot more than the filter. However the damage was probably already done in letting it go 90k.
Read his post. The original fluid was in the vehicle for 90K miles, not the Penzoil fluid. His dad just had that done, so probably no damage was done. Of course the original fluid should have been changed before 90K as well.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Sosi baklazhani bydlo

Send a message via AIM to hebrew_hammer
Because your an I4 i wouldnt sweat it. The k24s can have the flush done with no problems, now if you had a v6, then you would have a bit of a problem. Oh and we gotta have a mini meet since theres no one from philly here lol. In anycase, youll be fine. Just make sure they put the right amount in and your good to go
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
FL350

First, give your Dad a good swift kick to the pants for even driving near a Jiffy Lube. Second, get the Pensoil ATF out immediately and get the Honda Z1 back in. Replace the filter too. Carry on.

'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
'04 Honda Accord LX (no longer owned)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
First, give your Dad a good swift kick to the pants for even driving near a Jiffy Lube. Second, get the Pensoil ATF out immediately and get the Honda Z1 back in. Replace the filter too. Carry on.

I wish I could do that to anyone who let Jiffy Lube touch their car.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Prim and Proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleankill View Post
Some Jiffy Lubes have been known to scam but they're the exception not the rule. The point is to develop a relationship with anyone working on your car in order to develop trust with them. Any auto shop can scam someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
It would be easy to tell since the OP left the factory fluid for 90K. If it's still there it's dark brown to black. If Jiffy put new fluid in there it should be some lighter color.
When I got my car at ~76k I flushed the trans right away. Fluid was still pretty dark after flushing it I'm assuming because I didn't change the filter and that there was quite a it of varnish and what not since it was probably the first time the fluid was changed. If it's been 90k since the fluid was changed OP might notice a subtle change in fluid, if at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordslacker View Post

I wish I could do that to anyone who let Jiffy Lube touch their car.
I work at Jiffy Lube, ya jerks

5% Rear Tint, 25% Front Tint | Weapon R Dragon Short Ram Intake with APC Cone Filter | Acura TL 17mm Rear Sway Bar | Eagle Eye LED Taillights - Red/Smoke | Nokya Hyper Yellow Hi-Beam Headlights | Resonator and Pre-muffler Removed | Test Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
All cars get the flu......Yugo had the plague...
Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by the grey quincy View Post
When I got my car at ~76k I flushed the trans right away. Fluid was still pretty dark after flushing it I'm assuming because I didn't change the filter and that there was quite a it of varnish and what not since it was probably the first time the fluid was changed. If it's been 90k since the fluid was changed OP might notice a subtle change in fluid, if at all
You're stating that you flushed out all of your old fluid, replaced with new and it was "still pretty dark". So be it if that's what you say, but in my experience the color change is obvious.

My 02's fluid was dark brown at 30K. I replaced < 40% of the total capacity with just one drain + fill and my fluid looked close to new again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.