Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Successfully installing aux input converter for iPod

103K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  JLB 
#1 ·
I am pretty new to this forum and have been reading up how popular the radio to ipod install is. I decided to do it finally and it was a great success. If you have any questions or comments please let me know anything. And what you think of my post too. Thanks and I hope this helps anyone interested in this project, enjoy!

This is a step by step process of what I did to successfully install the auxiliary input connector for an ipod. I have a 2006 Accord EX with just a CD/AUX button. No navigation or XM radio are in my car, but this is the same process you would take even if you have navi or XM. However, if you have XM, you will have to disconnect the cable for XM to use the input for your ipod or MP3 player. If you don't care about XM and rather would have an auxiliary connect, then you're in luck. If you have Navi, then you may need to buy another connector cord.

The necessary auxiliary input converter I purchased is part # HON03/PC-SON. It is by PIE (Precision Interface Electronics). It says Honda to Sony and mentions it can be used for an external Sony Multidisc player. You are able to use it as that, but it also can be used for the aux device like i did. I got it off of amazon for about $70 from Audio Connections. $70 is a pretty good deal because most of them are between 60-120 depending on where you go. I believe Best Buy sells a whole kit to convert your car but it is well over $100. By doing it this way you save a lot of money and can do it easily yourself. The only other cord you will need is a simple RCA cable. The one that actually goes into the iPod device.

Necessary things:

Grab some zip ties to keep it all clean, some double sided thick tape to mount the converter box, scissors, screwdrivers (phillips and flathead), and also a couple different sized rubber gromits to put in the hole so it looks professional and clean (Not pictured). The gromit size will depend on how big the hole you drill is. Also, it is good to disconnect the negative part of your battery. Make sure you have your radio code handy for reconnection otherwise you can't use it!!!

Technology Electronic device Cable Wire Electronics

Technology Electronic device Electronics Cable Electronics accessory

Pull up on the front of the gearshift cover and there are 4 snaps that will pop it out pretty easily so you can expose the ashtray screws. It is easier to put the gear shifter in the low gear so it is out of the way. Just pull the parking break. Turn the key as far as it will go and keep it in.

Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mid-size car Hand

Unscrew the two screws to allow the removal of the ash tray unit.

Technology Electronic device Router Computer hardware

You will be able to pop up the ash tray unit with the removal of the two screws.

(I am posting the rest of the steps in seperate posts so I can include all of the pictures.)

See less See more
#2 ·
2nd part post

Vehicle Car Hand Finger Driving

There are also 2 screws behind the ash tray. In order to unscrew them you should use a flathead screwdriver to pop out the ash tray. Make sure you do not remove the rubber lining in the ash tray casing because it is extremely difficult to put back and make flush again.

Technology Electronic device Electronics Vehicle Car

Yellow Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery

Pull up the whole ash try unit and it should come out. Some people recommend unplugging the power socket, but it is not a necessary step. By laying the unit on the passenger side it is out of the way enough without unplugging it. Your decision to unplug it or not.

Technology Vehicle Hand Car Auto part

Once you have the ash tray unit out of the way, there are 2 more screws now exposed holding in the storage compartment. Take them out, then push upward inside the unit with a decent amount of force and it will pop. This is to get it positioned so you can pull it straight out towards you.

Fashion accessory

(Will post 3rd part below)

#3 ·
3rd PART

Hand Auto part Technology Vehicle Car

The storage unit has 2 plastic pieces that hold it in place. One on each side. When pulling out the compartment close it first. Then, pull it parallel and directly towards the back of the car. It takes a little bit of wiggling and can be a little struggle.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Now you have everything exposed and need to locate where to plug the converter into! It is located in the middle and is a white plug. Fairly easy to see, just stick your head in there.

Vehicle Auto part Car Subcompact car

Vehicle Vehicle door Auto part Car

Simply plug in the cord you purchased to the back of the radio. It should be an empty plug if you don't have XM. If you do, then you will need to unplug the XM cable. Now, plug it into the converter and then the RCA cable into the red and white plugs. (Pic below I have plugged in the cable so you know what it looks like.)

Black Darkness Light Sky Snapshot

#4 ·
4th PART

Technology Electronic device Electronics Cable Battery charger

Feel free to connect your battery temporarily to see if it works. Turn on your car, enter the radio code to unlock it, and then test it out. Push the CD/AUX button until the car shows a screen that says CDC. Now play your iPod and rock out!

Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Technology Mid-size car

If it worked, congrats. But there are still a few important steps left in the mod. In order to have a clean looking mod you will need to drill a hole in the storage compartment and feed the cord through that. It is a great place to store you iPod or MP3 player as well. I decided to use the right side just because the angles looked better and it seems like a more popular place to do it.

Electronics Floor Hardwood Flooring Technology

After fiddling around with different drill bit sizes, I ended up using a 11/16 spade bit. It sort of tore up the previous hole that I drilled earlier because it was a spade drill bit and jumped around. The hole was not perfectly circular, but ended up working in my favor because I could fit a rubber gromit in, and more importantly, the cable wouldn't fall back through like it would if the hole was bigger. So it was a little bit of trial and error.

Electric fan Fan Mechanical fan Audio equipment Electronics

I put the converter box on the right side as well. Put double sided tape on the box and stick it to the right side. I stuck it to the insulation, but it worked perfectly and was out of the way. Also it is a good time to decide how long you want the cord to be. Just pull through what you think will be an appropriate length and zip tie the rest so it will be clean and out of the way. Remember, just because no one will see it doesn't mean it shouldn't be a clean job. Plus, someone will see it eventually, is my philosophy. The yellow box is where the converter box is located. It is against the right side hidden perfectly out of the way where you want it so there are no future problems. Also, make sure all of the connections are secure and you can use electrical tape to secure a connection that isn't perfect.

Car Vehicle Room Luxury vehicle Family car

#5 ·
5th PART

Time to put everything back. I skipped a couple pics because it is just putting everything back in the opposite order you took it apart in. This picture shows where all the screws go.

Vehicle Car Auto part Subcompact car

Now that everything is back reconnect your battery and enter your radio code. You will have to reset your clock and presets, but it was well worth it and you can now use your iPod!

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Lexus Toyota

I hope this was a helpful post for anyone interested in doing this project. It was easy and well worth it. Let me know if you have any questions at all. I am fairly new to this forum, but like it more everyday. Let me know what you think of my step by step process. Sorry some of the pics are blurry. It was also a pain to post more than one part, but I wanted to include as many pictures as possible to make it more clear. Comments and questions please!! Thanks!!

#6 ·
Nicely done. Some choose the center console for an installation location. My 2003 Accord already had two pre-cut holes in the center pocket, in the bottom at the rear. If you look at the bottom of the pocket, you would see them. When I installed my XM radio, I just had to push down on the felt lining to expose them. Not sure if those holes disappeared in later year models.

#7 ·
Hi,

I am a new member. I have 2005 Accord LX and I already ordered the HON/PCSON adapter. I am planning to install it this weekend.

I only have a regular CD player(Single Disc, No XM). Will the adapter still work for me OR Should I have CD changer? I see the white plug underneath the factory stereo.

When I usually press CD/AUX nothing happens..I just see CD all the time.Not sure after pluging the adapter its gonna show CDC.

Can you please clarify?

#8 ·
If you have a CD/AUX button it should work just like my review. I have the same button and before I installed the converter the "CDC" label wouldn't come up either. It will work the same way as you see in the pictures. Hope this helps.:)

#13 ·
Hey bitnbyte, Im happy you did it successfully! Thats awesome! As far as putting the compartment back in just make sure the adapter doesnt prevent it from opening and closing. It just takes a couple estimates of room and looking, pretty simple overall. Nice!!
:thmsup:

#17 ·
Great DIY article & pictures!

Thank you for the great description of your installation of the iPod connector!

I have a 2007 Accord SE V6. I would like to know how to determine what radio is in my car? Is it a Sony? It has a multi-CD changer.

Thank you.

#18 ·
Thank you for the great description of your installation of the iPod connector!

I have a 2007 Accord SE V6. I would like to know how to determine what radio is in my car? Is it a Sony? It has a multi-CD changer.

Thank you.
If it has a multi cd changer in the trunk then I believe it would be sony, if it is 6 changer inside then I am not sure. Sorry cant help more than that!

#19 ·
I am pretty new to this forum and have been reading up how popular the radio to ipod install is. I decided to do it finally and it was a great success. If you have any questions or comments please let me know anything. And what you think of my post too. Thanks and I hope this helps anyone interested in this project, enjoy!

This is a step by step process of what I did to successfully install the auxiliary input connector for an ipod. I have a 2006 Accord EX with just a CD/AUX button. No navigation or XM radio are in my car, but this is the same process you would take even if you have navi or XM. However, if you have XM, you will have to disconnect the cable for XM to use the input for your ipod or MP3 player. If you don't care about XM and rather would have an auxiliary connect, then you're in luck. If you have Navi, then you may need to buy another connector cord.

The necessary auxiliary input converter I purchased is part # HON03/PC-SON. It is by PIE (Precision Interface Electronics). It says Honda to Sony and mentions it can be used for an external Sony Multidisc player. You are able to use it as that, but it also can be used for the aux device like i did. I got it off of amazon for about $70 from Audio Connections. $70 is a pretty good deal because most of them are between 60-120 depending on where you go. I believe Best Buy sells a whole kit to convert your car but it is well over $100. By doing it this way you save a lot of money and can do it easily yourself. The only other cord you will need is a simple RCA cable. The one that actually goes into the iPod device.

Necessary things:

Grab some zip ties to keep it all clean, some double sided thick tape to mount the converter box, scissors, screwdrivers (phillips and flathead), and also a couple different sized rubber gromits to put in the hole so it looks professional and clean (Not pictured). The gromit size will depend on how big the hole you drill is. Also, it is good to disconnect the negative part of your battery. Make sure you have your radio code handy for reconnection otherwise you can't use it!!!

View attachment 33929

View attachment 33926

Pull up on the front of the gearshift cover and there are 4 snaps that will pop it out pretty easily so you can expose the ashtray screws. It is easier to put the gear shifter in the low gear so it is out of the way. Just pull the parking break. Turn the key as far as it will go and keep it in.

View attachment 33927

View attachment 33928

Unscrew the two screws to allow the removal of the ash tray unit.

View attachment 33930

You will be able to pop up the ash tray unit with the removal of the two screws.

(I am posting the rest of the steps in seperate posts so I can include all of the pictures.)
Hi! Are you able to control the iPod from the steering wheel/dash or are you only able to control it from the iPod itself?

#20 ·
missaccord06,

The input i installed only plays the music from the ipod to the speakers through the 3.5 mm jack. You cannot control it via radio or steeringwheel controls. I believe that requires an input that goes into the bottom prongs of the ipod that will also charge it. I went this route because personally I don't feel the need to use that input, plus I believe it is a bit more expensive to do it that route even if you DIY. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me or anything if you need more info! :thmsup:

#22 ·
Nice! Let me know how it goes, I may install something similar to what you bought so it will charge it, only down side is that it will only work for ipods or iphones, most people wont have an issue. I think I just figured the 3.5 mm jack was easier, good quality though!:thmsup:

#23 ·
I have a 2006 Accord SE with the 6 Disc in-dash CD changer which has the CD/Aux button. I was wondering if i install the AUX input converter will it the cd changer be inop or will i be able to switch between both cd changer and the aux input just by pressing the CD/AUX button?

#28 ·
Yes I did see that product offered online by blitzsafe, however I am concerned with a few bad reviews regarding this product and its sister product for which I have provided a link for below:

Do you have any input/recommendations? I am thinking of just buying at and trying it, if it does not work like I want maybe Amazon will take it back...

...and thank you for your quick reply!

#32 ·
Did you hear?

iPhone 5 may not have the normal 30 pin connector?!

It may be micro usb...so that means anyone who installed something with the 30 pin connector AND has an iPhone to play their music will either have to swap out their install, or not get the iPhone 5. (Assuming it has a different charging port)

What do you think?

#33 ·
Thats a shame, the convenience of being able to charge and stream audio through one port is unprecedented. If it comes to it though, I will have to go in and switch from the 30 pin connector to the 3.5mm route. Definitely not preferred for the sake of sound quality, but at that point options would be limited.

Kinda disappointed with this years WWDC...

#34 ·
Is the SQ really that different from the 30 pin connector vs 3.5mm jack? I just got the jack because I figured it was pretty much the same.

And yea, WWDC was a let down. Oh well. Not interested in the apple computers anymore, but still love my iPad and iPhone.

#35 ·
This tutorial is awesome! I'm going to do it this weekend. Quick question though. I'm assuming that the songs/artist/etc doesn't show up on the factory radio display while playing a song from your ipod/mp3. I've also seen the sticky at the top and that one clearly states that the song/artist will not display. Is there any way of making the song info display on the factory radio while playing it on your ipod. Something like how the 2008+ models have the ipod connector in the center console by the E brake and that one displays the song info on the radio display.

#36 · (Edited)
- Thank you very much for the kind comments. With the method I did there is no way to show the songs in the head unit.

If you install an iSimple kit, I believe you can see the track names and also charge the iPod/iPhone. (You may need navi, not sure) The iSimple kit is also very good, just a little bit more expensive and uses a 30 pin connector so you can only use apple products. I chose the headset jack because:

- I didn't want to mess with the 30 pin connector (Had pieces break/bend before)
- This way was a little cheaper
- You can use any device with a 3.5mm headphone jack (Not just iPhone/iPod)
- I wasn't interested in charging my iPhone (Kind of weird about that - I like to charge it a full charge when I do)

Hope this helps, this was my first sort of real mod/install and it was very easy. :thmsup:

#38 ·

Read some of the customer reviews...they can be pretty informative.

I THINK you can change songs with the steering wheel controls, not sure though. Read up about it. Sorry for the delayed response.

#39 ·
Great tutorial. Your pics were even easier to understand than some videos I've seen. I will definitely use this when I go to do my install. However, I don't want to use the same device as you because I want my iPod to be charging and also use the steering wheel controls to change volume/songs. And if possible, it'd be great if I could see the artist/song on the display.

Here is exactly what I am looking for if anyone has any suggestions:
iPod specific
Support of steering wheel controls
Not concerned about losing XM

I've looked around online at different ones and could probably go ahead and make a decision based off what I've seen, but I'd appreciate any opinions that any of you may have. Especially if you personally have something like what I am looking for. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Side note : My car is a 2007 EX-L V6. I have the CD/AUX button and XM option but will never use XM.

#42 ·
can you install even with a broken 6 cd changer?

My cd/aux mode doesn't work at all. I have a 6 cd changer and after a couple years of jammed cds, I now can't even get to the cd mode. Everytime I press the cd/aux button, it does nothing.
I was thinking of trying to install the aux input but I didn't want to purchase anything if the mode still wouldn't work after installing the aux.

From what I was reading it might be a blown fuse, are they anyway connected? Would I have to change the fuse for the aux to work, if I do decide to install it?

#43 ·
My cd/aux mode doesn't work at all. I have a 6 cd changer and after a couple years of jammed cds, I now can't even get to the cd mode. Everytime I press the cd/aux button, it does nothing.
I was thinking of trying to install the aux input but I didn't want to purchase anything if the mode still wouldn't work after installing the aux.

From what I was reading it might be a blown fuse, are they anyway connected? Would I have to change the fuse for the aux to work, if I do decide to install it?
I would look into the fuse situation. I assume that the operation of the cd changer would not change the ability to use an AUX input. As long as its JUST the cd changer, and not an important part of the head unit itself.

The reason why nothing happens when you push the AUX button is because there is no device connected. The same thing happened for me before I installed the AUX. Once you install and plug it into the back of the radio, it will toggle between CD, AUX, AM/FM. (But in your case maybe not the cd because you said it didn't work.) So in other words, its an easy mod and I would say if you installed it, you should be fine to use an mp3 player or whatever even if the cd player doesn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.