50% oil life and 2 quarts low? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM
4th Gear

50% oil life and 2 quarts low?

First off I want to say that I feel like all I do is complain about this damn car... So I just want to make it clear she is my baby. I love her and pamper her like she's a lady. haha..

But I took it in because the stripping on the roof (black right above the door) was coming up on the left side... well when the tech went to take it off HE CRACKED MY WINDSHIELD. So I have to drive 400 miles this weekend with a cracked windshield.

The other reason I took it in is from 2k-4.5k rpms I would hear a grinding coming from the engine. Initially it was just when turning but eventually it began to happen even when going straight. for the last 300 miles or so I have also been occasionally getting a low oil pressure indicator. It's not continuously on and it doesn't always come on. When it would happen it would stay on for about 5-10 seconds and go away. I want to note that I would have taken it in right away if my MM didn't read 50%...

Oh and to add to all of this my warranty is up in 39 miles!

Gonna wait and see what happens... :/

OEM Foglights
OEM Interior Illumination
55w 6000k DDM Tuning Low Beams
35w 3000k Raptor Fog Lights
Hyper White Map/License Plate LED
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

You let your oil go 2 quarts low without topping it off and have been getting an oil warning light for 300 miles. Yet you claim to "pamper" your car??
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

I follow the maintenance minder- you know, what Honda recommends? Not to mention I checked my oil just over 1k ago and I was sittin' pretty. And I have a question for you "genius", why is my car burning oil? Especially at the rate of 2 quarts for 1k miles? Tell me oh wise accda.

Do you HONESTLY think I would INTENTIONALLY let my car go 2 quarts down?

OEM Foglights
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Electro-Motive

Quote:
Originally Posted by accda View Post
You let your oil go 2 quarts low without topping it off and have been getting an oil warning light for 300 miles. Yet you claim to "pamper" your car??
I lol'd.

To the OP, you obviously should read your owners manual, and check your oil out of habit every few times you get fuel. Honda won't cover any motor damage because you failed to keep the oil at the proper level, thats not their responisibility. And never drive your car with a low oil pressure light on.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Your "statement" makes no sense at all. What is it that you are actually saying here? As mentioned, you didn't check the oil and the engine makes bad noises and that's a Honda problem?????? I don't get it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Your "statement" makes no sense at all. What is it that you are actually saying here? As mentioned, you didn't check the oil and the engine makes bad noises and that's a Honda problem?????? I don't get it.
I checked my oil about 1k miles ago (give or take 100).. so 2 and half weeks ago and I had plenty of oil left.. wasn't getting thick, no clumps nothing. I take my car in today because of the grinding and they tell me I'm 2 quarts down and they change my oil and it is straight black and it was thick. I have/had checked my oil. I had no reason to change/put anything in when I checked it. I don't race my car and rarely engage VTEC. I don't understand how my car burned 2 quarts in 1k miles and 2-3 weeks. <--- THAT is a Honda problem. My car should not be burning 2 quarts of oil, period.. and my MM should not say I have 50% oil life when in reality I'm past due for an oil change.

OEM Foglights
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I follow the maintenance minder- you know, what Honda recommends? Not to mention I checked my oil just over 1k ago and I was sittin' pretty. And I have a question for you "genius", why is my car burning oil? Especially at the rate of 2 quarts for 1k miles? Tell me oh wise accda.

The maintenance minder tells you when to CHANGE your oil, not when to CHECK ITS LEVEL. Whether you are at 100%, 50%, or 0% if your oil light goes on, check it immediately. It's going on for a reason. You say that you didn't INTENTIONALLY let it go 2 quarts down, but the light was on and your engine was grinding for 300 miles, yet you continued to drive along happily ignoring those warning signs. What more did you expect your car to do, call you on the phone and beg you to pour some oil in it??
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

When I called my Honda dealer and told them my oil pressure light was coming on for 5-10 seconds when I turned the car on they said it was normal. That most cars do that.. Like when they flash when you turn it on. That's also when I scheduled the appt to go in today. They said although it's normal, it's best to get it checked out.

OEM Foglights
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The other reason I took it in is from 2k-4.5k rpms I would hear a grinding coming from the engine. Initially it was just when turning but eventually it began to happen even when going straight. for the last 300 miles or so I have also been occasionally getting a low oil pressure indicator. It's not continuously on and it doesn't always come on. When it would happen it would stay on for about 10-15 seconds and go away. I want to note that I would have taken it in right away if my MM didn't read 50%...
Quote:

OP,

I don't think anyone would intentionally let the car go 2 quarts low and still drive the car.

That out of the way, it needs to be clearly pointed out that the MM is based on software algorithm calculating remaining oil life based on theoritical data, it does NOT actually physically montiors or analyze the oil itself for quality or quantity.

The oil warning light flickering or staying on for 10-15 seconds as you mentioned is a BIG warning sign the very first time it happens, otherwise Honda, or any other manufacturer wouldn't have bothered to put the warning light there in the first place, remember there is actually a hardware pressure switch monitoring the actual, real life, at the current moment oil pressure to warn the driver should something go wrong with the lubrication system, and this can be any number of things besides low oil level, such as oil pump starting to fail, blockage in the oil return path from collapsed oil filter element etc, as well the low oil level could have been caused by damaged oil pan or gasket or loose/lost oil filler cap, no MM can detect any of these conditions which can cause the oil pressure warning light to come on.

As the owner's manual surely has pointed out, stop driving immediately if warning lights come on and have a competent (Honda) shop inspect it if you expect the warranty to be honored.

I am not going to dispute or challange you that the oil level was fine and oil wasn't clumping just 2 weeks ago, only you know that for a fact, or the MM is only at 50%, however none of these aspects has any relavance if the oil pressure warning light came on, you truly should have stopped driving the vehicle immediatey in a safe manner as soon as the oil light came on the first time and checked the oil level at that point, or have the car towed to a Honda shop, or ANY qualified shop to have it inspected.

Not heeding the caution/warning/direction in the Owners' Manual about the warning light will not put you in a good position, especially if the engine has been damaged.

Good luck with your dealing with Honda, but in the future keep an eye on the oil pressure warning lights, for that matter all warning lights, and give them the respect they deserve, they are there for a very good reason, and that is to prevent the driver from damaging the car any further, but it won't help if you ignore these warning lights.....

Finally, let it be re-stated that MM is nothing more than a fancy predicator of oil life, that's it, do not only trust MM when there are, in this case, many other warning signs over many miles driven yet the owner/driver did not take appropriate action, that is far from pempering your car.........
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
4th Gear

That all being said, can some one please answer my question....

why is my car burning 2 quarts of oil in 2 weeks/1k miles?

OEM Foglights
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
When I called my Honda dealer and told them my oil pressure light was coming on for 5-10 seconds when I turned the car on they said it was normal. That most cars do that.. Like when they flash when you turn it on.
OP,

How many cars have you owned previously? I doubt you would see this in any normal functioning automotive engine.

No car should be doing that even after an oil change, the light should extinguish within a second after engine start, maybe a couple to three seconds if it was right after an oil change.

5 to 10 seconds is extremely abnormal and extremely alarming.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That all being said, can some one please answer my question....

why is my car burning 2 quarts of oil in 2 weeks/1k miles?
If it did, then there is a defect somewhere within the engine or lubrication system which Honda should rightfully rectify.

However, the problem is significantly worsened when you ignored the tell-tale warning signs that the engine was running low on oil and still drove it for 300 miles.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda Nation

OP,

As has been stated above and previously by other posters, an oil light is a very serious matter..... your owners manual will also advise you if you see that light at any time to immediately pull over, shut off the car, and call your dealer or service station. The reason being is, the oil light is actually MUCH lower than advisable to be running your engine. When it flashes the oil pump, which is submerged in the oil pan below the oil level, is being starved of oil. It is ****ing in air, and it's frictional parts are not being lubricated..... along with most of the rest of your engine.

At the point you are at, there is no doubt a problem if you are telling the truth that a thousand miles ago your oil was fine and then all of a sudden it's thick and 2 quarts down. I'm at 14,000 miles, play with my Accord V6 6MT hard, and have yet to use a half a quart. Not to mention I've had 1 oil change at 7800 miles, I'm at 30% on my second MM, and my oil is still medium brown.

HOWEVER, I also know this because I check my oil level EVERY time I fill the gas tank at the gas station. Check the level and take off the fill cap to check the color/condition of the residual coating on the valve springs (you can see them when you take off the oil fill cap on the V6 - pretty cool).

What I am advising is that from now on you check your oil level every time you fill the gas. It takes only a couple of seconds, and if you do it while you lock the gas hose if your fill up is going to be a lot, you waste no time.

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
If it did, then there is a defect somewhere within the engine or lubrication system which Honda should rightfully rectify.

However, the problem is created when you unintentionally ignored the warning signs that the engine was running low on oil and still drove it for 300 miles.
The thing is I don't see how my unintentional ignoring of the light caused the problem.. If the car wasn't burning oil the light never would have come on and there never would have been any grinding.

OEM Foglights
Autozone Grille
Resonator Delete
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The thing is I don't see how my unintentional ignoring of the light caused the problem.. If the car wasn't burning oil the light never would have come on and there never would have been any grinding.
I never suggested you caused the intial problem of low oil level, what I'm saying is that continued operation with the low oil level has likely done additional damage to the engine which could have been prevented if you had followed the manufacturer's instruction to stop operating the car and have it taken to the dealership as soon as you saw the oil warning light come on the very first time.

Here's anothe analogy, this is not much different than having a slow tire leak developing 2 minutes after you've checked the tire pressure, then your tire pressure monitor/warning light came on, but you dismissed the warning light since "I just checked the tire pressure 2 minutes ago so nothing can be wrong", and keep on driving the car until that tire explodes, ripping your bumper corner and ruining your rim since it was grinding on the concrete road surface as you came to a stop, hopefully without causing a collision with the highway divider or other vehicles.

Who's responsible for the massive bill when a simple $25 tire patch would have taken care of the slow leak PROVIDED you had pulled over to check the tire pressure as soon as the TPMS light came on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.