Pulley Whining Noise? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Forum Insomniac

Pulley Whining Noise?

Hey all, what's up? I haven't been on here in a while. I seem to have a problem with my Accord again. For several months, I've noticed a low pitch noise coming from one of the pulleys around the alternator or below when the car is running. As I rev up, the noise gets louder, but as it warms up from a cold start, the noise slowly fades away. Well, earlier today, the noise got louder and made a couple screeching sounds. The screeching eventually went away, but the humming sound stayed. I'd post a video clip on here, but I don't have a camera to do so. Sorry. Based on the information I've provided, what are the chances it could be pulley bearings about to seize up? If the problem is a bad pulley, what are my options for repairing it? Could I spray some lubricant such as WD-40 in there to get me by for a while until I can get a replacement pulley? Also, which pulley is likely to go out first? I have a hunch it's the alternator pulley. The noise isn't from the power steering pulley nor the A/C pulley, and I doubt it's the crankshaft pulley. Maybe it's the tensioner pulley? Anyway, much help would be appreciated. I'm going to take my car to Advance Auto Parts tomorrow to get some free advice. If they can't figure it out, I'll take the car to a shop and let them figure out where the noise is coming from. Thanks a lot in advance for your help friends!

Edit: I went on YouTube and found a video of someone who has the same problem as me. The video is of a different car, but it makes the same noise as mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXej4PmypzA I hope this helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
6th Gear

Idler pulley. Common on Hondas I have had.

Cheap and easy fix. If you want to test to see if that is what it is pull off the belt and spin the pullies. You can rent the pulley tool at some auto parts store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Out of Control

spary wd40 on the power steering and see if the noise stops. It happen to my friend also.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM
6th Gear

Oh, yea, I forgot about the power steering issues on V6 and did not see you had one. Here is the discussion including the service bulletin.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...power+steering
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Forum Insomniac

Noises can be deceiving, but I seriously don't think it's the power steering pulley or O ring. I'll check it though. The moaning/whining sound seems like it's coming from further down. I hope it's the idler pulley and not the alternator pulley. Any other ideas? How hard would it be to replace the idler pulley?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Forum Insomniac

Do any of you think the weather (temperature, humidity) could affect the noise? Where I live, it's constantly humid (80% or higher) and hot in the summer time.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 AM
4th Gear

That pulley tensioner tends to fail.. Mine did too.Btw, if relevant my power steering reservoir leaked. But it never made any noise-- just a mess.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Forum Insomniac

Okay, so I've narrowed the problem down to either an tensioner/idler pulley or the alternator pulley. The pulleys are under $30, so that's kinda cheap for a car part, and I plan on replacing my belt with a Goodyear Gatorback one since I'll be taking off the old one and I don't know how long it's been on there (possibly since 2003!). I'll probably take my car to a shop and let them do the work. There's a very reputable shop down here that's been around for 30+ years and I wanna try them out. Any advice?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Okay, so I've narrowed the problem down to either an tensioner/idler pulley or the alternator pulley. The pulleys are under $30, so that's kinda cheap for a car part, and I plan on replacing my belt with a Goodyear Gatorback one since I'll be taking off the old one and I don't know how long it's been on there (possibly since 2003!). I'll probably take my car to a shop and let them do the work. There's a very reputable shop down here that's been around for 30+ years and I wanna try them out. Any advice?
On my Q45, the pulleys were considerably more expensive. We'd remove the pulley then replace only the bearings, which we'd order online. Took em to napa to have them pressed into the old pulley wheel. For $30 you're good tho.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Forum Insomniac

Damn. Luxury cars always seem to have a markup on everything. I wonder if NAPA sells the Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt. If not, I might have to go to Goodyear and get the belt.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Sold the Accord

When you hear the noise while parked, turn the steering wheel in either direction. If the noise increases, then you have air in the system caused by the faulty O-ring on the power steering pump, as described in the post above with the link. As the car warms up, and the air bubbles subside, the noise goes away, similar to what you describe.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Forum Insomniac

It's not the power steering pulley. I've already tested for that, and besides, the noise is coming from somewhere lower than the power steering pulley. It sounds like it might be the alternator pulley or further below, but I can't tell since my head obviously won't fit down there. I'll just have to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen for it.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Quote:
It's not the power steering pulley. I've already tested for that, and besides, the noise is coming from somewhere lower than the power steering pulley. It sounds like it might be the alternator pulley or further below, but I can't tell since my head obviously won't fit down there. I'll just have to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen for it.
It sure sounds like power steering pump moan/whine, to me (if your car sounds like the one in the video). He didn't say it was the power steering "pulley". It's an o-ring on the pump inlet pipe, letting air into the power steering system. This is the bulletin.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Forum Insomniac

I still think the noise is coming from a pulley below. I fired up the car from a cold start and opened the hood and stuck my ear as close to the sound as I could and it's coming from near the alternator, not the power steering. I'll get it checked though seeing as sounds can be deceiving. The noise used to go away, but now it persists, only a little quieter. Also, when I fired the car up Saturday morning, it started making a higher pitched whining noise for a few seconds. Anyway, I'll get it checked out at a shop, but thank you so much for the service bulletin. I'd rather it be the o-ring instead of a pulley.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
I still think the noise is coming from a pulley below. I fired up the car from a cold start and opened the hood and stuck my ear as close to the sound as I could and it's coming from near the alternator, not the power steering. I'll get it checked though seeing as sounds can be deceiving. The noise used to go away, but now it persists, only a little quieter. Also, when I fired the car up Saturday morning, it started making a higher pitched whining noise for a few seconds. Anyway, I'll get it checked out at a shop, but thank you so much for the service bulletin. I'd rather it be the o-ring instead of a pulley.
Hey man I had the same problem. my cousin said it was the tension pulley but it not. a matter of fact its not any pulley. like you said sounds can be deceiving. so listen to any of us thats telling you there is air in the p/s system. It's cost less than $7 bucks to fix this problem. I have done this to my 03 Accord and problem resolved. but if you don't have an open mind and keep on thinking it's something deep in there then it's your money not mine.

we all wanna save money and we all count on each other experiences on our cars. so don't doubt us please and save your money. It the power steering buddie. follow the tech sheet and you'll be fine... you should clean the resevoir while you're at it.

do this first if that don't fix then you just fixed for the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.