gear shift button broken and car stuck in park HELP! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

gear shift button broken and car stuck in park HELP!

hello i am a new user
i have a 2002 accord ex
due to the heat in florida the button to engage my transmisson has literally crumbled and now my car is stuck in park. i ordered a new part put with the car in park it is almost impossible to get at the screws and they are very stiff im guessing due to the heat as well. ive seen how to change the part but it shows the shifter in 1st so there is easy access to the screws, well mine wont move out of park. ive put the key in to activate the transmission on the console but it looks like you have to push in the button, which is gone) to change gears.
i really need some help with this please as i am renting a car to get to and from work.
thanks in advance!
paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
7th Gear

Sounds like more than heat, otherwise this would be a common problem.

I think you will have to remove the screws first.

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(Just traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Mine crumpled also. You can stick your finger in the hole and press down on the lever over you can also use you key to engage the shift lock override. Its the little key hole looking thing next to the shifter. You'll have to pry the cover off.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

i have put my finger in but dont feel anything to depress. also ive put the key in the shift lock override but it doent go in very far, it looks like there is a white peice in there that is covering it up? i have used it before and seemed like the key went almost all the way in but now the key wont go more than half way in. this is very fustrating...
any more help is greatly appreciated as i dont want to tow it and get it fixed at dealership. it seems like it should be an easy fix.
thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
9th Gen Coupe

push the key in as far as it will go
then move the shifter into reverse or drive as needed..
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

well i looked in owners manual and it says in order to get key in the lock for gear shift you have to depress the button, which of course is broken, any more ideas? please help!!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

Broken gear shifter

Yep, I live in Miami, I have a 2003 accord ex v-6 and the insides of my gear shifter has crumbled too. Is the fix a simple matter of removing two screws and installing the replacement? Or should I leave it to the pros? Of course, money is an issue...
Thanks in advance for anything you may have to offer.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM

Yes it's real simple to install. You remove the 2 screws and then pop the front of the shifter off. Clear out all the residue and then re-install the new chrome piece. The dealerships should know exactly what part when you go in. They told me it's common. Where in Miami? I can help if you would like.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
Yes it's real simple to install. You remove the 2 screws and then pop the front of the shifter off. Clear out all the residue and then re-install the new chrome piece. The dealerships should know exactly what part when you go in. They told me it's common. Where in Miami? I can help if you would like.
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick response and info! I was all set to order a complete replacement which cost much more, in addition to having to wait for delivery. Instead, I called the dealer, and as you said it's a common problem. I just have to replace the button, spring mechanism, and possibly the "sideplate", depending if it breaks during disassembly. I'm on my way over to South Motors Honda now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again for your quick response! The fix was as you said, very simple and straightforward. The parts guy was well aware of what I needed as it seems to be a common problem with this car, at least in these parts(Miami). I bought the shift button plus inner workings, and a new side-plate. Total cost- @ 35 bucks.

On a side note: I had to borrow my mom's 2003 Camry for a few days before I got a handle on how easy this issue really is(Thank you driveaccord.net!), and after I got back into my Honda of the same model-year I was shocked at how much more substantial the accord feels compared to the Toyota. Steering, braking, handling, interior, etc....no comparison. Honda rules. Granted, the Camry was a 4-cylinder, which by the way was butter-smooth with good low-end torque, but in every other regard it felt terribly inferior. Anyways, that's all I've got.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM

I only had to replace the button. You must have gotten more damage in there than I did. I paid around $11 for the button.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
My First Post

yeah i have a 2003 honda accord lx with the same problem. I know you cant use the overide mechanism because you have to be able to press in the button. i was wondering if anyone knew how to temporarily fix the problem without buying a knew kit, because i have to get my car out of the school parking lot before it gets towed!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson View Post
yeah i have a 2003 honda accord lx with the same problem. I know you cant use the overide mechanism because you have to be able to press in the button. i was wondering if anyone knew how to temporarily fix the problem without buying a knew kit, because i have to get my car out of the school parking lot before it gets towed!
If possible, remove the silver button from the shifter console. Don't worry, it's already broken. Then, because there's probably some disintegrating black plastic in the housing causing it to jam, use your finger to remove those broken bits. And do so until you're able to manually depress the internal button. Now you should be able to drive your vehicle as simply and freely as you would otherwise, except of course in order to shift you'll have to horizontally place your finger inside the console and push down on that rod-like button allowing you to change gears. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

I have the same exact problem. It just happened to me now! I live in Miami as well (107th ave and nw 7st). It's 9:17pm and everything closed. Need to take the kids to school in the Morning. AGGGGHHHHH!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBoy777 View Post
I have the same exact problem. It just happened to me now! I live in Miami as well (107th ave and nw 7st). It's 9:17pm and everything closed. Need to take the kids to school in the Morning. AGGGGHHHHH!!!
Hey, it's no big deal. Do what I said in the post above. If you have any questions, just ask. And unlike the guy before you, please keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.