Car grinds in reverse? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Kyle

Car grinds in reverse?

Got a strange question for you guys who have a manual transmission? I noticed that when I have the clutch depressed to the floor and put the car into reverse while it's moving backwards it wont go into gear...its grinds until I stop the car? Why do I have to stop the car to put it into reverse is this normal?

Wish list
-Just some window tint and a remote car starter, bought this car for fuel economy and because I have a baby on the way. NOT for performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to braddtm
same thing happens to my car...I'm pretty sure it's normal not sure tho

Eibach Pro-Kit_04 TSX Intake Mani_TL TypeS RSB_Injen CAI/RS_18' Black Gloss Enkei_Megan Racing Rear Camber Kit_Interior/Exterior LED Upgrade_Yellow Ebay Fogs_Blackhoused OEM Headlights
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddtm View Post
same thing happens to my car...I'm pretty sure it's normal not sure tho
Damn, guess that makes me feel better but it's just weird cause the clutch gets disconnected from the transmission in reverse too I'm sure but yet it causes it to grind I just don't understand.

Wish list
-Just some window tint and a remote car starter, bought this car for fuel economy and because I have a baby on the way. NOT for performance.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 PM
03 Accord coupe Ex 2.4L

Yes it's normal. Think of it like this, Once your engs RPM's get to a point, It's difficult if not impossible to go into a lower gear even with clutch depressed. It's a safty feature. Well reverse only has one gear. More or less same thing is happening even though going slow. You COULD force it in ( I don't recommend it) but technically going into "R" and 1st the car should not be moving even though plenty of us, to include myself roll straight outta "R" into first gear without comming to a complete stop.
Sold the Accord___ Mods: Injen CAI, Sloted/dimpled rotors, 8k HID high and low beam, 20* tint, TL-S front and rear SB, GReddy strut tower bar, OEM fog lts w/8k HID, DC Sport header, Tanabe exhaust system, Enkei EDR9 18" black, OEM lip kit, Exedy lightweight fly wheel and stage 1 clutch, Tein SS coilover kit, NEUSPEED short shifter, TSX intake manifold

DIY headlight swap---> http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46767
Rome wasn't built in a day
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM
No longer active

Could be a failing clutch, could be a bad reverse gear (I've had both in an old VW Golf I had a long time ago).
OR, it could be that the reverse gear is a straight cut gear (forward gears are mesh or angled), meaning it is not as smooth of a connection made. If you've ever wondered why cars make a whine while reversing, this is the reason.
It also could be that your car needs a clutch linkage adjustment. If the adjustment is correct when the clutch is depressed the gears should stop turning and eliminate the grinding.

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 AM
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_

My '02 Nissan Altima did the same thing...actually even more restrictive than my Accord.

For me, with the Accord, I can at least put it into 1st or Reverse while slightly rolling; as with the Altima, I had to come to a complete stop to do the same thing.

Like 7thGenCoupe said, it's normal for your MT to do this.
-Acura TSX retro headlights (Blacked out) w/amber LED turn sig bulbs & "bullet" angel eyes
-Depo Fogs w/2500K bulbs
-Hybrid Tail Lamps w/red 7w LED turn sig bulbs
-Custom JDM style grill & mesh lower grill insert
-K&N Typhoon CAI
-USA Spec iPod interface
-Front 12.6" Wilwood BBK & Rear 12" upgrade w/15mm Ichiba wheel spacers

FUTURE MODS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Vossen 19" VVS-CV3
-Hybrid Mirrors
-Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Kyle

Thanks for your replies guys,

Wish list
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffislouie View Post
Could be a failing clutch, could be a bad reverse gear (I've had both in an old VW Golf I had a long time ago).
OR, it could be that the reverse gear is a straight cut gear (forward gears are mesh or angled), meaning it is not as smooth of a connection made. If you've ever wondered why cars make a whine while reversing, this is the reason.
It also could be that your car needs a clutch linkage adjustment. If the adjustment is correct when the clutch is depressed the gears should stop turning and eliminate the grinding.
The reason is because there is no synchro for R. Your accord could be brand new, and would grind when shifting into R when moving.

35% film front
5% film rear
STi BBS 05-07 Wheels
235/45R17 Falken 912's
Eibach Pro Kit
Ingalls rear camber + toe kits
McGard Spline Drive Lugs |

Stock Airbox
TB coolant bypass
RV6 V2 Pre Cat Deletes
RV6 V3 J-Pipe
2.5" mandrel bent cat-back
UR Under-Drive Crank Pulley
Innovative 85a Motor Mounts

GM Synchromesh MTF
NRG Carbon ball shift knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.