about to purchase michelin primacy mxv4 at sam's club. - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Off Topic > The Pit

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

about to purchase michelin primacy mxv4 at sam's club.

Can you guys talk me out of this? I'm getting a state inspection done in two weeks and wanted the local mechanic to install my tires for me, but i was quoted around $780 after taxes for the 4 tires installed. seems pretty high to me. Sam's club is offering the same for about $649 after taxes and installation. does this seem like a no brainer ? I've had tires done at sam's club on my dad's toyota and my gf's cr-v w/o any issues before.

There wouldn't be a chance that sam's club would use a cheaper substitute for the tires, right?
oem foglights
106K miles
35% Tints, 60% 3m Crystalline tint windshield

Kenwood KDC-X993 head unit w/ Alpine PDX 4.150 Amp and Focal Access 165 A1 component fronts, 690CA1 rears

Other Cars that i maintain
2007 Lexus RX350 70000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

I have the same tires for about a year now. No problems what so ever, as expected from Michelin of course. Just a little bit more of road noise compare to the OEM Bridgestone that came with the car back in '03 but I find these handle snow and rain better (and we get lots of snow up here). Expect them to easily last for over 80k miles. I would go with the shop you went before, since you are happy with the work they did.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
No longer active

Just a thought, but I had my tires replaced a short time ago and have been VERY happy.
I got my General Altimax HP's at tirerack.com for $311.80 shipped. Tire rack sent them to the car-x by my house who installed them for about $40 a tire (around $200 all in, including tax).
In total, I paid about $500 after taxes an installation and would recommend this to anyone. While I was there, I had an alignment and a trans service and had my car in about 6 hours.
I'm not saying the price you were quoted was bad, but my Generals have been awesome (so far). Wet traction, road noise, dry traction, and overall smoothness are all hugely improved over the OEM Michelin's the car came with.
Sam's club (or anyone for that matter) will not try and pull a fast one by putting a different tire than ordered on. That would be fraud, fraud is illegal, and you would easily win the embarrassing lawsuit that followed. If that is your concern, well - don't be concerned. If the question you want answered is if the first shop was overcharging, the answer is yes.
That said, I almost put the Primacy's on my car as well until I spent a few minutes on tirerack.com and saw that the Altimax HP's are rated almost as high as the Primacy, though you do give up a little tread life.
The Altimax's run $68 per tire and the Primacy's run $113 per.
The Primacy's, if ordered through the tire rack, would be $452.00 + s/h and any applicable tax. Installation at a car-x (or any of tire rack's recommended installers) shouldn't run you much more than $120-130 or so (including tax).
If you used tirerack, you'd spend about $582 + tax/s+h. In other words, it would be cheaper to order the tires. If they have them in stock, they usually ship within 24 hours of the order and the tires arrive in 2-4 days. Food for thought....

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

look into the Continental Extremecontact DWS...they are SIK. I've personally never been a fan of michelin or bridgestone. Both make sub par performance tires at the high performance tire price.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Succinct
The Primacy MXV4s I had installed on my 2006 AV6 are the very best tires I've ever bought (and I've been buying them since 1978). Period. Get them and enjoy their utter silence.

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe. Garage Queen.
1991 Legend L sedan
2006 Odyssey EX-L/RES (Slate Green/Olive)
Veteran owner of numerous other Acura/Hondas previously
2001 CR-V LX 2WD - (R.I.P. Mom!) My son's car
SOLD: 2006 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (Sapphire Blue/Black, 5AT) - 27.2mm TL front sway bar, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, tinted windows, 6MT shock tower brace, Michelin Primacy MXV4 (stock size 215/50-17)
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to andysinnh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
The Primacy MXV4s I had installed on my 2006 AV6 are the very best tires I've ever bought (and I've been buying them since 1978). Period. Get them and enjoy their utter silence.
I concur. I've got Primacy MXV4's on both the Freestyle and the Accord, and they're the best tires I've ever put on - and this dates back to the 70's as well! I need to get tires for my Montego - but the size I need (P225-55HR18) is on national backorder from Michelin - so I'll just wait till they come available....

andy

12 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Package (White, Wife's toy) 19k miles
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD Base (White, mine) 16k miles
14 Honda Accord LX Sedan (Black, Son#1's) 6k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (Black, Son #2's) 114k miles
08 Mini Cooper Hatch (White, Son #3's) 122k miles
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysinnh View Post
I concur. I've got Primacy MXV4's on both the Freestyle and the Accord, and they're the best tires I've ever put on - and this dates back to the 70's as well!
andy
Primacy MXV4 215/50-17's on my 6M have 20k now. 9/32 remain (10/32 new IIRC). Snow is pretty rare in our state capital. During last years rainy season they were light years ahead of the OEM Mich HX MXM4 17's.........................

I think we're approaching a quorum...............

ez....

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)

Last edited by ezshift5; 09-10-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: incorrect tire data
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
6th Gear

I don't have the Primacys on mine yet so can't comment on that...

but I'd go with Sam's club. Or better yet, if you have a local costco nearby, you might want to check it out. My local Costco charges $152(even cheaper for my 15s ) a tire plus $15 per tire installation package which means you get lifetime rotation and free repairs for the life of the tires.

Past Hondas:
2011 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan AT
best tank: 29.54 mpg

2006 Accord LX I4 Sedan AT
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM

I wonder how the new Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring compare to the MXV4. I dont like the looks of the MXV4 both tires are expensive. Been thinking about Kumho grand touring tire the Plantium LX too. I sure do need a quieter tire, I have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.