How often should I change my engine Oil for Honda Accord? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Maintenance & Detailing

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 AM
My First Post

How often should I change my engine Oil for Honda Accord?

I've been told 3000, but my owners manual says 7500. I have a 98 honda accord v6 with 128k. I currently drive 35 miles (one way) to school, 4 times a week. I don't drive aggressively or anything like and it's usually raining where i live. I'm using castrol synthetic blend at every oil change. Would it okay to wait until 5k miles to get it changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 AM

I go 7500.

The days of 3000 miles intervals are long gone. Oils have been improved. Most shops will still say that because because people are used to it and it means more money for the shops.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripliver View Post
Would it okay to wait until 5k miles to get it changed?
Yes, or every 6 mos whichever comes first. I like the 5k interval for that oil and your application.

Still not sure? Get a Used Oil Analysis done. Google Blackstone labs for a test kit. Costs about $23 and is cheap insurance. Not to mention the peace of mind.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

On my 07 oil and filter every 5,000
Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Johnnylakis

Send a message via MSN to johnnylakis Send a message via Yahoo to johnnylakis
Quote:
I've been told 3000, but my owners manual says 7500. I have a 98 honda accord v6 with 128k. I currently drive 35 miles (one way) to school, 4 times a week. I don't drive aggressively or anything like and it's usually raining where i live. I'm using castrol synthetic blend at every oil change. Would it okay to wait until 5k miles to get it changed?
I personally go by the maintenance minder, but did the '98s have one?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

There is no maintenance minder on a '98. With today's oils 5,000 miles would be a safe bet. DO watch for consumption though.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

Every 5k with the type of oil and your highway miles sounds just fine. If it was a service shop, especially a quick-oil change place, that told you every 3k, you have to take that with a very big grain of salt. They recommend that to everybody, even when the manufacturer specifies lots more miles per OCI. For them, its about business and making money.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

7500 do the rotation too at the same time ..and now i'm going to get alignments if needed (bought lifetime deal)
also made 2 complaints to Firestone (legitimate service gripes) and they mailed me a total of 5 free oil change coupons! i'm set for a while!

----vehicles currently owned---
06 Accord EX-L coupe 6 cyl
11 Mustang
-------previously owned---------
04 Grand AM GT coupe
96 Corolla
89 Tercel

Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Good question i havent read the manuel about the oil change 7500 i alot dont u guys think. 3,000 is fair but more than 5,000 is time for a change. Does it go the same for fully synthetic oil.
-Axel exhaust-upgrading to catback soon
-No brand upper strut bar
-7 inch pioneer dvd tv flip out, 2 12 inch pioneers 3000 watts each,pioneer 5 1/2 and 6x9 replacements, 4000 watt lanzar amp
-replaced all dash,dome,door,trunk,licence plate lights to blue LEDs "ledautomotive.com"
-20 inch velocity rims
-purchased black housing head lights and onex 10k HIDs
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

since we here talking about change oil, whatt kind/brand of oil do you recommend. not too pricey not too cheap.

I just bought my 1st car similar specs 98 LX w/134k, was told to do oil change every 3k by the shop that i took it for oil change. he used wolfs head, tried to google it but not much people use it. should i continue with that brand? also what kind of oil should I put. really have no clue how to maintain a car. joined the forum to look for infos everything about car.

thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
. . . I have a 98 honda accord v6 with 128k. I currently drive 35 miles (one way) to school, 4 times a week. I don't drive aggressively or anything like and it's usually raining where i live. I'm using castrol synthetic blend at every oil change. Would it okay to wait until 5k miles to get it changed?
Short answer: Yes, no question about it. Your current driving habits fall well within the "normal" service interval described in your Honda owner's manual.

Additionally, as others have stated, you could easily extend your synthetic oil change interval to 7500 miles if you wish to do so. Check your oil level at least every 1000 miles or so until you are confident that your oil level is sufficient for the longer oil-change intervals you choose.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 AM
banned

Quote:
On a 6th gen V6 that is NOT in a severe or extreme climate and not being used aggressively, 5k oil changes is just fine especially since you can go 7500 miles between oil swaps. I would be more worried about what oil you are using to ensure maximum protection as well as doing ATF drain and fills for your transmission every 10k-20k miles. I am planning on my engine lasting 300k miles on the original engine and not having to rebuild my engine. The transmission, to me, can be a weak link and if you get 300k on the original tranny, you are doing real good too.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Also available in sober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemy06VtecV6 View Post
On a 6th gen V6 that is NOT in a severe or extreme climate and not being used aggressively, 5k oil changes is just fine especially since you can go 7500 miles between oil swaps. I would be more worried about what oil you are using to ensure maximum protection as well as doing ATF drain and fills for your transmission every 10k-20k miles. I am planning on my engine lasting 300k miles on the original engine and not having to rebuild my engine. The transmission, to me, can be a weak link and if you get 300k on the original tranny, you are doing real good too.
WOW. Really? 30K is early for changing ATF. I've never even heard of somebody doing it sooner.

As far as the OP's question, I find that an every 5000 mile oil change interval is the easiest to remember and keep up with and it provides the engine with excellent lubrication. I personally use synthetic oils in all of my vehicles (which is probably overkill), but the same interval can be used running conventional oil.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.