03 2.4L 4CYL Accord Coupe EX Excessive Oil Consumption issue - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

03 2.4L 4CYL Accord Coupe EX Excessive Oil Consumption issue

Hello All Accord owners.

Has anyone had an 03" 4CYL 2.4 L with an over consumption oil issue? Mine consumes a fair bit of oil every two weeks I need to top up the oil. There are no leaks and if does not burn any in the exhaust either. Is this normal with these Honda's? And if so then why? I have a 188,000KM's on it now..Honda claims that it should consume 1.5 L of oil or so...Does not make any sense to me. Would love hear from someone if they have the same problem.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 AM
6th Gear

Well, you need to track how much oil it IS consuming. I think the issue with the Accords is when the dipstick is down to the add oil mark (last mark/dot on dip stick). When it is as this mark the oil is only down by maybe a third of a quart instead of the half/whole quart like the dipsticks of old.

I know mine seemed to use oil (was always at the add oil mark) until I started tracking the amount and found it was only using maybe a half quart per 5000 miles (or 8047KM). If you do your oil change every 10000 miles (16093 km) then you could be using a quart of more.

I started changing my oil at the 5000 mile mark. By then it has used the rest of the gallon (3.8 liter) of oil I had left from the oil change and another third to half quart of so.

Welcome to the forum. Try searching on the forum for this topic since I remember it being discussed here and there.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Low Gear

My old K24 (06 EX) didn't burn a drop of oil. Sorry to hear that.

^ Besides the above reply on keeping track, also make sure you are checking it in the exact place and the exact method. All of us does things a bit different (I'll assume you are checking your oil properly). Just make sure you are consistant down to a T.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM
4th Gear

Mine was burning a lot of oil, especially on long drives when it was hot outside with lots of high rpms. No leaks, just a very sooty tail pipe. My mechanic took the valve cover off and said I needed new valve stem seals, he replaced and adjusted and the consumption has gone down. That's my .02

If you don't have any soot in the tailpipe I would think maybe take a plug out and look to see how dirty it is? Maybe you're losing oil on the intake side?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
No longer active

Mine doesn't burn any oil. A few things to be sure you are doing (I hope this isn't offensive to you):
1) Always check the oil when the engine is warm.
2) Always wipe the dipstick after first removal, then reinsert it to get the most accurate level
3) Always check the oil on a level surface

If you are already doing that, next time you get an oil change, don't touch it (unless it is obviously close to being at the low mark). Next time you get your oil changed, ask the guy how much he took out.
If oil isn't found on the ground beneath where you park your car, isn't splattered in your engine bay and you aren't blowing dark smoke, well- I have no idea where the oil could be going....

No messages will be checked. No responses will be given.

Frankly, even though this forum has a lot of very nice people, the few bad apples around here have gotten on my nerves. I simply don't care enough to log on and try and help others when all too frequently, I get mocked or made fun of.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

Hey thanks for the replies. I am having my dealer run an Oil consumption test and something tells me that they are going to come up and tell me that its normal and that is it.... I've had a few Honda's over the years and never have I had to top the Oil in between oil changes. In fact in this car I had the Oil Engine light come on to my horror a few months ago and when I checked the dip stick it was bone dry. that's what started this whole investigation from me. I had to fill it up with 6L of oil at a gas station. Something does not seem right here. I am so happy with this car otherwise. She has run beautifully for the last seven years. (I do baby her and have looked after her always) But this problem I have a feeling is going to bite me hard in the wallet....I may have to part with it down the road. Oh well.....
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMAN63 View Post
I had to fill it up with 6L of oil at a gas station. Something does not seem right here.
6L= 6.3 quart, I hope not, it should only hold 4.2 liter. Did you overfill?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
6th Gear

I've got the same engine, same year, similar mileage (183k kms), not consuming much oil here. She'll drink Castrol, but Mobil1 level is the exact same Day 1 till change time.

6L is virtually impossible. 4.4 L will get it at the top tick mark.

I'm suspecting you have an oil leak somewhere

Growing up:
1992 Chevrolet Cavalier: 2000-2008
1986 Pontiac 6000 LE: 1995-2000
1982 Honda Accord: 1993-1995
1979 Honda Civic: 1991-1993
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
6th Gear

Check your pcv system...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Replace the pcv valve. This issue has been documented on here numerous times. I had a similar issue, but replaced the pcv valve before it got anywhere near as bad as yours.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Excessive oil consumption seems to be limited to the '03, and early '04 model years with the v-tec 2.4l motors, from the research I've done.

the general consensus is that there are no visible signs of leakage, and oil is consumed faster when the engine is run at higher RPMS (lead footed).

I bought my '03 EXL new, and it seems to have been using excessive amounts since it was new, but it was never really notice until around 40k miles, after the factory warranty had expired. Now at 98k miles it is using 1qt every 300 miles or so, still with no visible signs of leaks or smoke being emitted from the exhaust. It passes the NY State emissions test with out any problems, which is almost as strict as California.

I had changed both O2 sensors out around 40k miles, because one went bad. I had tried flushing the engine and fuel system, thinking it was possibly a stuck piston ring, or stuck valve, at 80k miles, with no results. Changing the EGR doesn't do anything.

For the entire time I've owned the car, Fuel mileage has never changed, it seems to remain constant with approximately 20 mpg, combined city/highway driving. performance and accelleration has not changed either.

I have changed to using 10w30 oil instead of the 5w20 in the last 10k miles to try and cut some of the oil consumption, but no luck.

Just recently, my check engine light came on, with a bad Catalytic converter code, most likely due to the excessive oil consumption.

Every few months I try searching the net for new info on this situation, and its seems to becoming more and more a problem for current owners, with no recalls or TSB's being issued by Honda. Even my mechanic has noticed the same problem with other '03 accords.

IF a class action lawsuit gets started, I'm sure it will pop up in the forum soon enough. Until then, keep checking you oil levels....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Even though it sounds backwards, changing to a more viscous oil will not decrease oil consumption in these or many newer designed engines.

The low tension piston rings absolutely need the low viscosity oil, otherwise they are starved for lubrication, which causes them to overheat, and begin to microweld and eventually lose tension. This is first evident with the oil control rings, as the oil consumption will increase dramatically. Then the compression rings slowly wear and grind on the cylinder walls. This wear is most prevalent during cold starts when the oil just can't get to where it needs to fast enough. You wouldn't believe how fast the rings overheat, even at cold start, when they have no/limited lube.

You are correct about the oil causing the cat codes as it slowly poisons the converter.

All K series use oil, the harder they're run the more oil they use. The K20 engines that rev, like the type S engines and the Civic Si engines even when new use more than a quart in 5k if used a little hard, if beaten upon, the consumption goes up. On these motors they spec 5w30, mainly as a way to keep oil in the bearings at such high revs.

The early K engines seem to be prone to camshaft wear as well. It appears to me to be insufficient hardening of the cam lobes. Mainly exhaust cam.

Using the highest quality 5w20, in ones that spec it, you can does significantly reduce the chances of them becoming major oil users, save ever overheating them. All bets are off at that point.

I've seen it first hand with my sister's previous shoebox Civic Si, it used about a quart between changes. Which for her was 5 to 8k. I made her go and get oil, and the Honda filters to use during changes. She went and got some really cheap, VERY cheap Citgo 5w20 at one change at around 60k. After that change, its oil consumption went up to more than 2 quarts every 5k or less.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

Here is my experience. I have a 2005 with the 2.4L. It has always consumed 1/2qt per 4k-5k miles. I now have 140,000 and it runs like new, but is consuming more like 1qt per 3k miles. I do drive pretty hard. 80mph on the highways and some high engine revving.

I've tried all different viscosity grades and like fred said, no change. I want to keep this car a lot longer. I'm currently using M1 0w30. I've thought of spiking it with a qt of 15w50 for extra ZDP. Could help protect the cam lobes a bit better but these engines are generally low wearing from what I've seen...

Like others have said, the oil must be getting past the oil control rings. PCV valve was extremely clean when i first looked at it around 120k.

I wonder if I need new valve stem seals?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusvonstorm View Post
Mine was burning a lot of oil, especially on long drives when it was hot outside with lots of high rpms. No leaks, just a very sooty tail pipe. My mechanic took the valve cover off and said I needed new valve stem seals, he replaced and adjusted and the consumption has gone down. That's my .02

If you don't have any soot in the tailpipe I would think maybe take a plug out and look to see how dirty it is? Maybe you're losing oil on the intake side?
good idea dude. Have you had a valve adjustment? Thats alot of miles. Try high mileage oil and see what that does.

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3093726
Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Valve stem seals would show heavy smoke at startup after the engine sits shut off for at least 4 hours or more after being hot. The cat will be cold and unable to burn off the smoke before it can get out the tailpipe.

Toyotas are very well known for this issue.

I can see a slight improvement if the engine has well over 100k. I'd expect maybe a quarter to half qt per OCI by doing the stem seals.

Buster, have you tried conventional oil 5w20 or Motorcraft's semi 5w20?

If one wants to see where the oil is coming from when being burned, take a borescope and look down the plug hole first when hot. The edges of the pistons will be "washed" to bare aluminum where the oil is being forced up around the rings if the oil control rings aren't doing their job.

If you let the motor get cold, and gently roll the motor over by hand a couple of times, and then do the borescope, you should see oil puddled on top of the pistons after the valves have opened and you can look back at the valves and see them wet with oil.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.