Replacing Auto Transmission - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
My First Post

Replacing Auto Transmission

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, my car just broke down which is a 1998 Honda accord LX 4 cyl auto with 130k, just graduated still jobless.

My car won't shift to 2nd gear when driving. Before that I notice when i shift my gear to 2 my car will jurk very hard. I think it is time for me to replace my transmission.

I was shopping around for a used one, i found some near me which already have 147k on it and the junk yard was asking for 700+. I came across ebay that they sell JDM F23A F23 auto transmission. I am wondering will the be any problem fitting into my car ?

Greatly appreciated for those who reply.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Greg

Damn man, that ****s. I feel for ya. Hopefully one of these Accord members will jump in soon with some keen advice for you.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Spending the much on a used transmission is not wise. You don't know the condition of the replacement and it could be on the way out just like the one you have in the car. You are better off getting your unit rebuilt or going to a shop that sells a rebuilt with warranty.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Aspiring Tuner

i have the exact same car you have...thatd be crazy if yours way silver too..lol. sorry to hear that...mine has 250k but my engine is blown. so im in the same boat almost. im sure you can find plenty of trannys for 4-700 dollars. hold on ill find one for ya

98 LX

ENGINE MODS
-Spectre CAI
-Flowmaster 40 Series
-NGK G-Power Plugs
-4-2-1 Header
-CherryBomb GlassPack Resonator

COSMETIC MODS
-Double 5% Tint
-Twin Halo Projectors
-Bright White LED Turn Signals
-DDM Tuning 6000k 35w

SUSPENSION MODS
-Megan Strut Bar

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Aspiring Tuner

http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/eng...N%201998+.html

heres an engine and tranny combo for 1000 so im def sure u can find just a tranny waaay cheap.

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/details.php?id=3717

nuff said

98 LX

ENGINE MODS
-Spectre CAI
-Flowmaster 40 Series
-NGK G-Power Plugs
-4-2-1 Header

COSMETIC MODS
-Double 5% Tint
-Twin Halo Projectors
-DDM Tuning 6000k 35w

SUSPENSION MODS
-Megan Strut Bar

Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 AM

The local tran repair shops around here charge $1800 for a rebuild. Just fyi...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
Spending the much on a used transmission is not wise. You don't know the condition of the replacement and it could be on the way out just like the one you have in the car. You are better off getting your unit rebuilt or going to a shop that sells a rebuilt with warranty.
+1.

Don't get a used one with 100k+ miles on it already. just get your tranny rebuilt instead. it may cost more, but you'll at least know that all the internal components are new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
The local tran repair shops around here charge $1800 for a rebuild. Just fyi...
and that's about how much a rebuild will cost.

it *might* cost a little less since you have a 4cyl. just shop around to several different tranny shops and see who will give you the best deal on a tranny rebuild. go somewhere local instead of a big-shot shop like AAMCO too.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
+1.

Don't get a used one with 100k+ miles on it already. just get your tranny rebuilt instead. it may cost more, but you'll at least know that all the internal components are new.
That's crap! Don't believe it when a transmission shop tells you that they are replacing all the component with new ones. Most shops will never replace all the components, they usually lie about what they really do.

Keep searching for a used tranny, you might still be able to get some good miliage out of it and also save an extra $800 bucks. I just recently replaced my tranny with a used one due to bad differential bearings. My original tranny had 141K on it and the used one has 110K on it. With a complete flush, it's shifting as smooth as a baby's bottom. Btw, the junk yard was able to test the used tranny to make sure it's working. I paid $700 for the used one and $400 in labor, my mechanic allowed me to take my original tranny home with me. I able to sell it on craigslist for $350.
AEM SRI
Apexi WS2 catback exhaust
Red and clear tail lights
Chrome Headlights without amber
DDM Tuning 55W 6000K low bean
Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K high bean
01-03 Honda Civic foglights w/DIY OEM Fog switch
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
02-SE

I would definitely do a rebuild, I have a transmission guy around me in the Tampa bay area that i asked the price of what a rebuild would cost, god for bid it explodes, and he gave me a $1050 estimate. he says he gets them in all the time. He said the 6-cyl rebuild would only cost $950, which i thought was weird. But i trust him.

Past Car:
1996 Honda accord coupe LX! 106,xxx miles
*Totaled as of 3-31-10 Dumb People!*
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45234[/SIZE]
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Aspiring Tuner

everyone just completely skipped over my post..lol OP apparently doesnt have a problem buying online as he was already looking on ebay...or is he looking for manual tranny? bcuz i posted the auto..this thread should be done

98 LX

ENGINE MODS
-Spectre CAI
-Flowmaster 40 Series
-NGK G-Power Plugs
-4-2-1 Header

COSMETIC MODS
-Double 5% Tint
-Twin Halo Projectors
-DDM Tuning 6000k 35w

SUSPENSION MODS
-Megan Strut Bar

Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlti View Post
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, my car just broke down which is a 1998 Honda accord LX 4 cyl auto with 130k, just graduated still jobless.

My car won't shift to 2nd gear when driving. Before that I notice when i shift my gear to 2 my car will jurk very hard. I think it is time for me to replace my transmission.

I was shopping around for a used one, i found some near me which already have 147k on it and the junk yard was asking for 700+. I came across ebay that they sell JDM F23A F23 auto transmission. I am wondering will the be any problem fitting into my car ?

Greatly appreciated for those who reply.

Ian
I have the same car with the same problem. My father in law is a mechanic. If it can be repaired, they buy some kind of transmission kit. The guy that is going to do my tranny will charge me $1,000. They normally charge around $1,200-1,300 for the repair. If you change out the whole tranny with a rebuilt one, it normally is about $1,500. The guy I have charges $1,200. I'm letting you know this so you don't get screwed on prices.

Mine has been doing the hard jerk for about 8 months now. I will be getting fine replaced the week of thanksgiving. I know it ****s, but hopefully you can get at least a part time job and give the mechanic 1/2 the money now. Be VERY CAREFUL where you go. Some guys are known to take out transmissions out of junkyard cars. Which is also an option. The tranny at a junk yard costs about $120. But those are the options I know of. Best Of Luck!!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

goodwill

don't forget to try honda goodwill. If you can show that you changed the fuild at the specified interval, they may kick in some $$$ towards the repair. Heck, they may kick in anyway.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Highly improbable on a gen 6 with 130K miles
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Don't use a JDM gen 6 auto, been there on here before and it didn't turn out well. Due to gearing differences among other things, the PCM won't be happy with it.

Having a local trans shop do it would be the cheapest as far as "rebuilds" go, but all you usually get is the friction elements replaced, and maybe a bearing or two and hopefully the torque converter. Some valves may be looked at, and some orings and gaskets replaced. It really depends on the shop. A good trans shop would charge at least 1800 to 2200 for the job.

The reman units from HEC or H&A are really gone over, they get all the updates that Honda has come up with, new bearings, seals, all orings, solenoids, torque converter. The V6 versions are required to have an external cooler installed, and all have to have an external magnefine installed. The level of work done is reflected in the price though. Plus it has to be installed by a shop and sold TO a shop, you can't buy them.

Honda def won't goodwill it. The 1998 V6 coupe here had issues with its trans (carrier bearings) at 107k when the car was ONE year old. They just laughed.

When it was 2.5 years old at 159k when it puked its guts, finally, they asked why the shop I was working at was installing a trans in a car that was so new (they knew of the issues already) we stated the mileage, again they laughed.

That was a $3800 hit.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96accordcoupe View Post
I would definitely do a rebuild, I have a transmission guy around me in the Tampa bay area that i asked the price of what a rebuild would cost, god for bid it explodes, and he gave me a $1050 estimate. he says he gets them in all the time. He said the 6-cyl rebuild would only cost $950, which i thought was weird. But i trust him.
$950 sounds more like a used transmission than a rebuild!
AEM SRI
Apexi WS2 catback exhaust
Red and clear tail lights
Chrome Headlights without amber
DDM Tuning 55W 6000K low bean
Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K high bean
01-03 Honda Civic foglights w/DIY OEM Fog switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.