Softer ride for my 2006 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

Softer ride for my 2006

I have 90,000 on the original suspension and was looking to plan ahead for an alternative to OEM replacements. Plenty of people change their suspension to stiffen the ride or improve handling. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and want a softer smooth ride. Does anyone know where I find a ride like this without actually buying an old Buick or Cadillac?
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrady III View Post
I have 90,000 on the original suspension and was looking to plan ahead for an alternative to OEM replacements. Plenty of people change their suspension to stiffen the ride or improve handling. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and want a softer smooth ride. Does anyone know where I find a ride like this without actually buying an old Buick or Cadillac?
Just so with a tire with softer sidewall i guess but keep in mind a softer side wall means number steering, Less quicker steering, and a tad less mpg.

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3093726
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Goodyear has a purpose built tire for ride comfort: http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/as...mfortred|Exact

I don't think you'll be able to find any suspension components that will improve ride comfort. Koni FSD shocks come to mind but they don't make any that fit the Accord.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Motor City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch Driver View Post
Goodyear has a purpose built tire for ride comfort: http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/as...mfortred|Exact

I don't think you'll be able to find any suspension components that will improve ride comfort. Koni FSD shocks come to mind but they don't make any that fit the Accord.
Tires make a decent difference in the ride...but hes going to have to continue buying new ones..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Option 1: Buy soft touring tires and run OEM pressure or a hair lower.
Option 2: Buy a Camery
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear

The only thing I can think of besides different tires as others have suggested is an adjustable dampening shock like Koni Sports (yellow). But, even at the full soft setting, is the ride softer than stock shocks? That I personally do not know. I have them, but I am not on stock springs.

My suspicion is, if you want a ride like a Buick or a Cadillac, you need to change cars.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

OP,

At 90,000 miles, your OEM struts likely are close to the end of its useful life, which might be why you felt the ride is harsh.

While I enjoy good handling performance, I opted to add sway bars rather than sport springs/struts exactly because I didn't want to compromise the ride quality of OEM struts.

I am very happy with the combination, you may find a new set of OEM struts ride nicely compared to your 90,000 miles worn out ones.

Also keep in mind that softer sidewall tires will make your steering/cornering vague, I put Falkan ZE512 tires on my previous car, an 1996 Integra GSR, the ride definitely softened, but the handling took a nose dive even just in regular daily driving.........

I now run the Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position all-season ultra performance tires, loving every minute of it for the perfect combination of performance, comfort, quietness.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Out of Control

see if you find oem struts on ebay with less miles. People are always modding their cars fast and selling barely used shocks, struts.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Fbro28 View Post
see if you find oem struts on ebay with less miles. People are always modding their cars fast and selling barely used shocks, struts.
I have 4 OEM struts sitting in my garage. They have about 50K on them. Would you happen to be in the Dallas area?

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
OP,

At 90,000 miles, your OEM struts likely are close to the end of its useful life, which might be why you felt the ride is harsh.
I always thought the ride would get softer with age. I love the car as is but if I could change anything it would be the ride. I don't want a camry or buick or Cadi but would love a softer ride. I looked into the Goodyear "soft" tires but read reviews that they were prone to defects in the inner belts.

Thanks for the comments on the Koni Shocks too. It would be great to know if they were softer on the lowest setting than OEM ones. I would get them if I knew that I could adjust them for a softer ride than I have now.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM

I had 166k on my 99 on the original shocks/struts. I had them inspected at the dealer where I know the guys pretty well. They test drove it, inspected it and said they were fine. Struts were dry with no leaks.

Find a tire that has a soft ride BUT only drop the speed rating by 1 notch. If yours is a H rating drop it to a T rating. I believe thats the next increment lower off the top of my head. Don't go any lower or it will affect the handling too much in a negative way...aka buick handling.

The higher the speed rating the thicker the sidewall which consequently = stiffer ride.

I would look into some Cooper CS4's. Very quiet and nice ride.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
2nd Gear

No, I'm near Detroit
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post

Find a tire that has a soft ride BUT only drop the speed rating by 1 notch. If yours is a H rating drop it to a T rating. I believe thats the next increment lower off the top of my head. Don't go any lower or it will affect the handling too much in a negative way...aka buick handling.

The higher the speed rating the thicker the sidewall which consequently = stiffer ride.

I would look into some Cooper CS4's. Very quiet and nice ride.
I replaced the tires last year to some BFgoodrich Advantage but I don't now the speed rating. I figured my shocks/struts were about to go due to mileage but I never thought they would last THAT long (166K).
Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM

I did about 50/50 highway/city driving. Maybe a bit more highway. The OE struts are very expensive BUT they can last a long time.

The Coopers come in a V/h rating but also a T rating. Here is the link below.

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...=cs4_touring_t
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrady III View Post
I always thought the ride would get softer with age. I love the car as is but if I could change anything it would be the ride. I don't want a camry or buick or Cadi but would love a softer ride. I looked into the Goodyear "soft" tires but read reviews that they were prone to defects in the inner belts.

Thanks for the comments on the Koni Shocks too. It would be great to know if they were softer on the lowest setting than OEM ones. I would get them if I knew that I could adjust them for a softer ride than I have now.
I hod Konis on my Prelude SH. On softest setting, they were firmer than stock. KYB G2 maybe what you want and are inexpensive. I'd call your dealer and ask for an answer which will help. Tires or shocks. Question. Has the ride changed to you since you 1st drove it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.