Radio and LCD display turn on by themselves - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Radio and LCD display turn on by themselves

Hi there,

I have a 04 Accord LX 4 cylinder sedan. It has 120K. The battery is 6 month old. Recently I found the factory radio and LCD display turn on by themselves, when the car is parked and locked without car key inside.

I tried to turn off the radio when I turn off the car. But it didn't help. The radio still turns on by itself. I found that if I change the volume to zero, then the radio stays off. But LCD display turns on and off by itself every few seconds with backlit. Both radio and LCD operate normally when I drive.

Can someone tell me what is the problem? How to fix it? Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear

Any input?

There is apparently a more serious circuit problem. I garaged the car for 5 days around Christmas. After that I couldn't start it, the battery is drained. I don't believe the LCD back lit can drain the battery that quickly.

I had to recharge the battery. Any pointer on how to go about fixing it? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. Will stop by Autozone this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
You have a short somewhere.

If you have an Advance Auto or Auto Zone near you, they have a computer thingy that will hook into your car and diagnose the problem, for free.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

freeflight,

Did you find a solution? I have noticed the same problem with the radio turning on and the screen flashing after I turn off my '07 Accord. I did not drive for 2 days and found my battery had drained so I needed a jump start.

I tried changing the battery but this did not stop the radio from turning on. Next I pulled the fuse for the radio so my radio no longer works, but the battery has also not drained again.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Hi CivilMA,

I haven't got a chance to fix it. After some research, I found this is a common problem with Accord.

In your case, the radio is clearly the culprit. What works for me is
1. turn the volume to zero
2. turn off the radio
Although the LCD backlit display still flashes, this keeps the radio off. LCD alone doesn't drain battery that fast. I can start the car without trouble after parked it for three days.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilMA View Post
freeflight,

Did you find a solution? I have noticed the same problem with the radio turning on and the screen flashing after I turn off my '07 Accord. I did not drive for 2 days and found my battery had drained so I needed a jump start.

I tried changing the battery but this did not stop the radio from turning on. Next I pulled the fuse for the radio so my radio no longer works, but the battery has also not drained again.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Forum Insomniac

Do you have any aftermarket mods? If so, they could have caused a short somewhere that affects your radio. It's possible two melted or uninsulated wires are touching each other. Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Do you have any aftermarket mods? If so, they could have caused a short somewhere that affects your radio. It's possible two melted or uninsulated wires are touching each other. Just a thought.
No mods what so ever. Will do a check when I got a chance.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Forum Insomniac

Yeah that's just plain odd since the radio shouldn't be getting any power to itself other than the security system installed into the radio.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Yeah that's just plain odd since the radio shouldn't be getting any power to itself other than the security system installed into the radio.
I did some search on the Internet. It seems to be a relatively common problem with Accord. The problem is likely with the radio itself. Dealer's fix is to replace the factory radio for about $500+
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

I bought the car brand new and nothing has been added. Would an aftermarket radio solve the problem? I think I could get an aftermarket sterio for less than $500.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM
07 Sdn

Yeah for $500 i'd go aftermarket than replace.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
6th Gear

Quote:

Or did you buy it used and somebody had installed/removed accessories before selling to you?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

I talked to an installer at Best Buy when I was looking at radios. He suggested the problem might be with a relay that gets stuck in the "on" position. Anyone familiar with the wiring or try replacing a relay?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Mike

Hi, some random thoughts, from memory there are no mechanical relays inside the radio, so the only relay he could be talking about would be a relay supplying ACC and IGN +12volts to the radio. However I donít think a separate relay exists for that circuit?

Apart from a 7.5 ampere switched circuit (IGN/ACC), there is also a permanent un-switched + 12v supply to the radio for real-time clock, security and last Radio/CD state etc. As itís appears to be a 10A circuit, I would think that this circuit is likely switched electronically (electronic relay if you like) in the radios and therefore could be the source of the problem.

There would be a number of ways the radio could fail and trigger this fault, without a circuit it would be hard to fix as there is a microprocessor controlling the on/off operation. I have never found a circuit of the internal radio/CD.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

Good info, thanks.
I will take the car to Kragen for a test, see what those guys say about this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCz View Post
Hi, some random thoughts, from memory there are no mechanical relays inside the radio, so the only relay he could be talking about would be a relay supplying ACC and IGN +12volts to the radio. However I donít think a separate relay exists for that circuit?

Apart from a 7.5 ampere switched circuit (IGN/ACC), there is also a permanent un-switched + 12v supply to the radio for real-time clock, security and last Radio/CD state etc. As itís appears to be a 10A circuit, I would think that this circuit is likely switched electronically (electronic relay if you like) in the radios and therefore could be the source of the problem.

There would be a number of ways the radio could fail and trigger this fault, without a circuit it would be hard to fix as there is a microprocessor controlling the on/off operation. I have never found a circuit of the internal radio/CD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.