Power steering pump groaning noise... again! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Forum Insomniac

Power steering pump groaning noise... again!

Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42915). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Hey all, to start off, my power steering pump used to make a whining noise every time I started my car, so I followed the DIY for replacing the power steering pump o-ring (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42915). That shut up the whining noise for a while until a couple days ago. I don't know if it has to do with the temperature here being in the high 20s and mid 30s or if I put on the o-ring wrong, but the whining and groaning noise has come back, and this time it doesn't go away like it used to when the engine is warm.

So, do any of you have a solution to this problem? I'm going to replace my drive belt tomorrow with the Goodyear Gatorback, so maybe I can fix this power steering noise while I'm under the hood. I'm thinking somehow when I replaced the old o-ring, maybe I put the new one in wrong. I'm not too sure. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe the pump is bad and you need a new pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

how old is the fluid?? try flushing out the pump with fresh fluid then changing it again to clean out any debris. if it still occurs you may need a pump
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
banned

Quote:

Wait till you feeeeel how buttery smooth your steering will be after you replace the PS pump and drive belt. I was like you, I would have normally not replaced anything early to protect and keep the total cost of ownership(TCO) low to justify a Honda even more. I replaced the drive belt almost by accident because the power steering hoses broke on separate days and the 2nd time, PS fluid spilled on the drivebelt thus prompting replacement prematurely. But after seeing hos smooth, easy and literally effortless it is to turn the steering wheel, replacing the pump *and* drivebelt is something I would do early because the benefits are so great. Trust
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Forum Insomniac

Alright guys. I added some power steering fluid while I was at the gas station earlier and that shut up the problem. My car has approximately 91,000 miles, and maybe a new pump would help, but I'm going to try some other things right now like replacing my drive belt tomorrow. As far as the flush goes, how do I properly go about that? As a last resort, I'll go and replace the pump.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Alright guys. I added some power steering fluid while I was at the gas station earlier and that shut up the problem. My car has approximately 91,000 miles, and maybe a new pump would help, but I'm going to try some other things right now like replacing my drive belt tomorrow. As far as the flush goes, how do I properly go about that? As a last resort, I'll go and replace the pump.
Take something to pull out the old fluid out (**** out) of the pump like a turkey baster. Add new fluid back in and run for a few weeks and repeat process. I had to repeat the process because the dirty fluid that remains in the steering rack and needs circulated through the system.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Forum Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Take something to pull out the old fluid out (**** out) of the pump like a turkey baster. Add new fluid back in and run for a few weeks and repeat process. I had to repeat the process because the dirty fluid that remains in the steering rack and needs circulated through the system.
Okay, I get it. Drain and refill, and then drain and refill again a couple weeks later. Easy enough.

I'm gonna do some other maintenance later today, but damn it's so cold outside! I hope it warms up later today.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM

If you had to add fluid and the noise stopped that means the fluid was low. You might have a leak in the system. When you changed the o-ring did you top off the fluid? Check the fluid in a week to see if the level changed.

The pump could be leaking at the seals or it could also be a line.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Forum Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
If you had to add fluid and the noise stopped that means the fluid was low. You might have a leak in the system. When you changed the o-ring did you top off the fluid? Check the fluid in a week to see if the level changed.

The pump could be leaking at the seals or it could also be a line.
You're right. I checked my fluid and it's apparently leaking. I looked under the car and found power steering fluid along my frame on the passenger side. The lines are fine around the reservoir and low pressure side. I did notice some fluid around the metal high pressure line where it comes out of the pump, but I don't think there's enough fluid there to actually cause the leak I'm looking for. I hope it's an easy fix. And you know what? I didn't have this problem until I replaced the o-ring. I don't know if this is coincidental though.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 AM

You wont notice a leak by looking at the hose. When the wheel is being turned that's when there is pressure and you will notice a leak.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Forum Insomniac

So I did my oil change today and noticed power steering fluid around and near a rubber boot that's connected to the front axle. The line connected to the boot is metal, and I'm thinking it's a high pressure line. I'm hoping it's just a gasket or something rubber that's easy to replace and not the whole metal line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.