Idler/Tensioner pulleys - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 PM
4th Gear

Idler/Tensioner pulleys

One of the pulleys on my v6 was making a horrible noise on cold days. So I decided to change out both the tensioner pulley, idler pulley (kinda impossible to tell which one is squealing since they are so close), and serpentine belt while I was at it. I got the tensioner pulley off with no problem but the idler pulley bolt is too long to come out; it hits the frame. Can someone tell me how to change it, and a write up would be amazing...

Thanks ~ Josh.

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM
mobiless2

Loosen sub frame & lower.
2005 SSM LX I-4 Auto Sedan: TL-S FSB / TL-S RSB / Tokico HTS Shocks / Neuspeed Sport Springs / 18" Element SC Wheels / 225-45-18 / TSX Rotors / CR-V Dual Piston Calipers / Drum to Disk Conversion / SS Brake Lines / K&N SRI / Japspeed TSX Header / TSX IM / P2R Thermal Gaskets / Ralco Pulleys / HFP Front Lip / OEM Deck Lid Spoiler / TSX Mirrors / OEM Fogs / HID Retro-Fit / K40 261K

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto Sedan: Weapon-R I Throttle / TL FSB & RSB / Morimoto H1 / OEM Fog / K40 / Viper 5704 125K
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
4th Gear

Take off the side mount and jack the engine up.
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 AM
6th Gear

Doesnt the tensioner pulley assembly come off with two bolts? Once off you can remove the pulley from the assembly.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 AM
4th Gear

I may try jacking it up. Yeah, I have a haynes manual and it says there are two bolts but I could not figure out which two! The haynes manual is like half the size of every other haynes manual I own/have owned. It ****s, and there arent a whole lot of pictures.

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
I may try jacking it up. Yeah, I have a haynes manual and it says there are two bolts but I could not figure out which two! The haynes manual is like half the size of every other haynes manual I own/have owned. It ****s, and there arent a whole lot of pictures.

Buy a real manual then! www.helminc.com for Honda manuals.
2001 Yamaha R6
Bowman Kart(rented)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Out of Control

i changed the tensioner on my 7th gen accord i4 before, and i had no problems with it. now im planning to change it on my tl-s, but i looked at my engine and it looks like i may run into this problem too. how did you end up doing this? did you jack the engine up in order to get the required clearance?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, I changed out the top pulley and belt only. The squeal hasn't come back so I said screw it on the bottom one... Let me know how you do it. haha.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
Let me know how you do it. haha.
check out this thread i started over at acurazine. it might apply to you too.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809834
Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Out of Control

just did the auto tensioner. it is true that the long bolt does not come out that way. there is in fact a small bolt on the bottom side(takes awhile to find). whole process took me < 1 hr and that includes removing the side motor mount
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

Oh you did have to remove the mount? I could never find said bolt either. Man, that little tensioner sounds like a pain.

I'm glad my noise went away without me having to go through all of that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Out of Control

i dont think i HAD to but it gives me a little more room, plus the side mount is so easy to move i might as well do it.

yea that bolt took me like 10 min feeling around the auto tensioner to find it, its tough because you cant see it, you can only feel for it. then you have to get a socket and short extension and then feel for it again(in a tight spot).

once u do it once, it'll be much easier the second time because u know where the hidden bolt is. however i dont think these things go out enough times for me to have to ever change this again.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
My First Post

Pulley Removal

[QUOTE=Ilovemyvtx;786430] Reply

2004 V6 Accord
I had the same whining noise coming from the pulley side of the engine. All rpms and operating temperatures. Used screwdriver to listen and alternator was the the strongest vibration whine.
I pulled alternator and took to get tested and it was okay and spins freely and quietly.
I picked up a replacement tension assembly. I see in your picture that the pulley cannot be removed without other methods mentioned. I removed the 12mm offset bolt from under the tension assembly and the whole thing came out pretty easily. New tension arm is alot stiffer and made it fun to re-install belt. Engine runs quiet and I am thankful to this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idler, pulley, tensioner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.