O2 Sensor Changed, Check Engine Light Still on...? Will it go off? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

O2 Sensor Changed, Check Engine Light Still on...? Will it go off?

Hello,

My mothers 2004 Accord had its Check Engine Light come on. She tried the gas cap tightening and that did not work. I had her take it to Autozone and they read the code on the computer. O2 sensor. She bought the Bosch O2 sensor that I changed yesterday.

That was not as easy as I thought.. Jacked up the car and had to remove the pipe from manifold. Not enough room to get socket on 02 sensor. Removed bolts from the exhaust mount and dropped down the front end of entire exhaust. Kept exhaust propped up about 5 inches because Cat sensor was still wired in and at its length limit. Then, vise gripped the flange end while I turned the special socket to remove the O2 sensor. That's tough because of the flexible joint on the pipe, you need to anchor flange before loosening 02 sensor.

Anyway, 02 sensor is in. Drove the car about 25 miles and the light is still on.

Will the light eventually go off by itself? (If the O2 sensor was the problem and is now fixed?) Or, do I have to somehow reset the check engine light? Autozone did state that they would not turn off the light.

Thanks,

redbug2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 03:58 AM
mobiless2

Have to get code cleared. I purchased a code reader from Autozone for $39.99 & cleared the code.
2005 SSM LX I-4 Auto Sedan: TL-S FSB / TL-S RSB / Tokico HTS Shocks / Neuspeed Sport Springs / 18" Element SC Wheels / 225-45-18 / TSX Rotors / CR-V Dual Piston Calipers / Drum to Disk Conversion / SS Brake Lines / K&N SRI / Japspeed TSX Header / TSX IM / P2R Thermal Gaskets / Ralco Pulleys / HFP Front Lip / OEM Deck Lid Spoiler / TSX Mirrors / OEM Fogs / HID Retro-Fit / K40 261K

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto Sedan: Weapon-R I Throttle / TL FSB & RSB / Morimoto H1 / OEM Fog / K40 / Viper 5704 125K
Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 AM
1st Gear

Did you get the actual code or did the guy at Autozone just tell your mother which O2 sensor was needed? I ask because the downstream sensor on my Accord ('03 I4) went out last year and initially the guy told me that it was the upstream sensor. I double-checked based on the code when I got home and discovered that he was wrong. For me the CEL went off on its own after I changed the sensor.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Agree. Make sure you change the correct o2 sensor. Autozone informed the o2 downstream sensor was bad. Brought Bosch OEM o2, installed it and CEL went off after the first start.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
6th Gear

Just because you get an O2 sensor code doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is bad. You can have a rich or lean fuel conditions, exhaust leaks, shorted wires and other things causing the sensor to turn on the engine light. There are several diffrent O2 sensor codes that will help isolate the cause. You really need to troubleshoot the cause of the problem before throwing parts at it.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
aka 'The Gif King'

First of all. Are you I4 or V6?

Second... why didn't the dude tell you the code? How can he just say o2 sensor? If you're I4, there's 2. And if you're V6, I believe there's 3.

They have different duties. So by him not telling you the code, you might have just spent money on something that you didn't have to change.

You should talk to the Manager.

Anyway, try disconnecting the battery. Wait 10 minutes, and connect it again. That should restart the computer. If the CEL is still on, then you just wasted your money!

This happened to me about 3 weeks ago... I even made a thread about it. The code was P0134

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877738

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 PM
mobiless2

There is (4) O2 sensors on V6. 2 per side.
2005 SSM LX I-4 Auto Sedan: TL-S FSB / TL-S RSB / Tokico HTS Shocks / Neuspeed Sport Springs / 18" Element SC Wheels / 225-45-18 / TSX Rotors / CR-V Dual Piston Calipers / Drum to Disk Conversion / SS Brake Lines / K&N SRI / Japspeed TSX Header / TSX IM / P2R Thermal Gaskets / Ralco Pulleys / HFP Front Lip / OEM Deck Lid Spoiler / TSX Mirrors / OEM Fogs / HID Retro-Fit / K40 261K

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto Sedan: Weapon-R I Throttle / TL FSB & RSB / Morimoto H1 / OEM Fog / K40 / Viper 5704 125K
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 AM
1st Gear

Its a 4 cylinder.

My mother took the car to Autozone on my recomendation. I would hope that the guy reading the code would be smart enough to sell her the right sensor...(wishfull thinking),,,, Is the Cat sensor the same? If so, would be nice if I could swap the old front sensor provided the front one was good... Or, maybe they are both bad?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 AM
aka 'The Gif King'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbug2 View Post
Its a 4 cylinder.

My mother took the car to Autozone on my recomendation. I would hope that the guy reading the code would be smart enough to sell her the right sensor...(wishfull thinking),,,, Is the Cat sensor the same? If so, would be nice if I could swap the old front sensor provided the front one was good... Or, maybe they are both bad?
Nah bro... the I4 has two O2 sensors, Upstream sensor and Downstream sensor.

The Downstream sensor is on the Catalyic Converter, it serves no other purposes other than emission purposes.

The Upstream sensor 'aka' Primary sensor 'aka' Air/Fuel Ratio sensor is on the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

Did you try disconnecting the battery?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877738

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbug2 View Post
Its a 4 cylinder.

The issue might be the sensor you bought. For one, you cant buy the OEM sensor at Autozone so the Bosch sensor is not OEM. Search around and you will see that some people have had immediate trouble using the Bosch sensor. When I changed mine years ago, I purchased it from a Honda dealer online. It was roughly $65 + ship. Wish I had the part number for u, but again, do a search.

Oh, and driving the car with the new sensor made the CEL disappear.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:46 AM
5th Gear

How much does Bosch sensor cost? Is it upstream or downstream? AFAIK the only sensor that works reliably on Hondas is Denso.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 AM
6th Gear

The upstream and downstream sensors are different and not interchangable.
Always remember the parts store guys get paid to sell parts - not to diagnose your problems. And the parts they want to sell are the brand they carry - not always the best one for your car. If you are not well versed on modern car diagnostics they can really take advantage of you. As this sales guy aparently did.
If you kept your old O2 sensor, I would recommend putting it back in and try to get a refund on the Bosh sensor. Tell your story to the store manager if the counter guy baulks.
Car forums like Drive Accord are very useful to research problems before you go parts shopping - not after.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Mothers car is 20 miles away, will disconnect battery provided she can find her radio pin key. My father may have one of those reset computers. Blows me away that Bosch builds a product that us faulty? Still hoping that resetting the computer may solve it.

If it fails I will surely attempt to take it back.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
6th Gear

Bosch sells an OEM direct fit for most cars. It isn't so much that the sensors are faulty- just that they don't seem to function quite as well as the Honda OEM sensors in Honda cars (different specs, different tolerances etc.).
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
Denso makes the OEM sensor for our 7th gens I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.