Foaming power steering fluid - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Go Tigers!

Foaming power steering fluid

My rack and pinion has had a slow leak so I decided to add some Lucas power steering stop leak. This was a few months ago. It has kept leaking but very little.
The last two days I've noticed that fluid is overflowing out of the resevoir. It is very foamy. I don't notice any change in steering effort.
Is this a sign of pump on its way out or is this a result of using the Lucas product?
I remember reading in a post on one of the many boards I belong to that this, or one of their other products, caused foaming.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
O do u know the buffinman

It's probably the Lucas stuff, I have read that also on the BTOG forum.

Time to flush the system

I1

08 EXL V6 W/Nav PMM 4Dr @ 108K miles
My daily driver

08 Pilot EX-L Dark Cherry Pearl @ 46K miles
The Mrs. daily driver

The Kids
07 EXL I4 Moroccan Red Pearl 4Dr @ 80K Acquired 6/13

06 EXL I4 Carbon Bronze Pearl 4Dr @ 91K Acquired 3/13

Gone but not forgotten....
02 EXV6 Naples Gold 4Dr
96 VP I4 Heathermist 4Dr

[
Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Go Tigers!

I drained as much as possible w/o running the pump, then refilled and ran. I did this twice and am still getting foam. Not sure if it will still overflow or not, only time will tell.
While running, is it normal to see some foaming in the res.?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

No it's not!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Go Tigers!

If it's not normal, then what's the cause? Contaminated fluid or pump going south?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Go Tigers!

Now I'm getting a sort of whine while turning under idle or low acceleration. It's a sound that sounds like rubbing you finger against a clean glass window. After I hear this, I have the overflowing problem. I don't believe it's any suspension parts. Still have the foaming issue too. Maybe the pump or the steering rack? Any ideas?
Thanks
Al
Old 03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
O do u know the buffinman

Sounds like a pump problem with the noise you are hearing.

I1

08 EXL V6 W/Nav PMM 4Dr @ 108K miles
My daily driver

08 Pilot EX-L Dark Cherry Pearl @ 46K miles
The Mrs. daily driver

The Kids
07 EXL I4 Moroccan Red Pearl 4Dr @ 80K Acquired 6/13

06 EXL I4 Carbon Bronze Pearl 4Dr @ 91K Acquired 3/13

Gone but not forgotten....
02 EXV6 Naples Gold 4Dr
96 VP I4 Heathermist 4Dr

[
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM

You have a suction side leak (return) either the rack is pulling in air somehow or the oring on the p/s pump inlet is no good. (the little bolt on elbow with the clamped line going to the reservoir)

The oring is fairly common, did you recently have belts or a timing belt done?
Disturbing the pump is sometimes enough to cause this. The orings rarely leak fluid, but will pull in air.

Air in a hydraulic pump will cause whining.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 AM
Go Tigers!

I did do the belts not long ago, about a month. A chipmunk was in the engine compartment and when I started the car...(you get the idea). Should I replace the o-ring or just try tightening it first? The car is down right now anyway, putting in a new radiator.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Go Tigers!

Well I don't think the return line on the p/s pump is the culprit. I do believe that a leak is causing air to get into the system. I do have a leak in the steering rack and as a result of further investigation, a leaking boot on the tie rod.
Now here's another question:
Does the boot seal the steering fluid or is there a seal on the tie rod itself going into the rack?
Auto parts stores sell a replacement boot kit, but if the seal is bad, that won't cure the problem.
What do y'all think.
Thanks
Al
Old 03-30-2006, 04:22 PM

The piston seal inside the rack is bad, the boots are not supposed to fill up with fluid. Time for a rack.

It's unlikely that the rack leaking will cause you to have an air leak, as those pistons work under pressure.

The return fittings may look just fine, and the bolts will be tight, but for some reason the orings, once aged don't like to be disturbed. For the couple of cents the oring costs you could try it.

A more rare problem is a leaking shaft seal on the pump. They may get a little damp, but for some reason on longer runs they pull in air.
I've seen some, not just Hondas, that do this, and the reservoir ends up gushing out foam after a highway run.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Go Tigers!

The line that goes directly from the res. to pump(return?), has a pressed fitting in the pump. The exit for the pump has a bolted on fitting with an o-ring. Fredsvt, which fitting are you refering to?
You hit the nail on the head about the res. overflowing after being on the highway for a while. Do you think I should swap out the pump? Or is there a rebuild kit for it and would that be worth it?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91EX
The line that goes directly from the res. to pump(return?), has a pressed fitting in the pump. The exit for the pump has a bolted on fitting with an o-ring. Fredsvt, which fitting are you refering to?
You hit the nail on the head about the res. overflowing after being on the highway for a while. Do you think I should swap out the pump? Or is there a rebuild kit for it and would that be worth it?
I'm sorry, I could be having a brain fart here. Most of the later models have a bolt on return (supply) fitting with a spring clamp on the line.
While checking online, your's does have the pressed in return. My bad.

I've seen several of the pumps, mainly on Integras leak from the pump body itself. I'm sure you could buy all the needed parts to rebuild it yourself, I'd price it both ways though. If you have any severely worn internal parts, it may make the diy rebuild worth it.

Stick with Honda parts. I'm not trying to be a pita in regards to aftermarket stuff. But, I've seen many horrors lately with aftermarket reman parts.

I think Honda offers a reman pump. I just checked online and they only show a new one on the online parts lists that I use. Wow! Made me wake up quick. Damn expensive bugger it is.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Go Tigers!

I replaced the pump shaft seal today. I ran it for a few minutes just idling in the drive and no foaming. I know that it was leaking from that seal as when I removed the pulley, there were signs of leakage down the front of the pump. I just hope that ended my foaming problems. I still have the leaking rack, but that's another project.
A seal for 6.29 beats paying 200 or so for a rebuilt pump.
Thanks Fredsvt for all your help.

By the way, the threads on the p/s pump shaft are lefthanded for future references.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:59 AM
1st Gear

Use only Honda approved fluid

In the past if Honda approved was not used it will cause foaming. This will also cause noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.