What Type Of Gas Is Reccomended For My Car?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Fluid Dynamics

Drive Honda Accord Forums
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Fly Ry Fly Ry is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Type Of Gas Is Reccomended For My Car??

I have a 2009 EX-L Coupe V6..my boy who has a 2010 125 swears by 93, but with that being 20-30 cents more expensive I don't know if I need it as much as he does?? What's the difference anyways between standard 89 and 93?? Do I need to put in higher grade gas??
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 AM
Dreamacre's Avatar
Dreamacre Dreamacre is offline
7th Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,819
Thanks: 44
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Your car was designed to run on Regular. Putting anything else in it is a waste of money.
__________________
- It is just a car -

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Accordriver's Avatar
Accordriver Accordriver is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,678
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
X2, this has been discussed ad nauseam
__________________
-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Mujambo's Avatar
Mujambo Mujambo is offline
09 Accord Coupe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you put in too high an octane, it can damage your car apparently. One of the service guys told me that my 09 i4 coupe can only take up to 89, but told me 87 is good enough. If I start going into the 90s, I can have problems.

The fuel burns hotter at a higher octane and depending on your vehicle, the engine might not be able to take it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a car buff myself, just going on what a service advisor told me.
Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Accordriver's Avatar
Accordriver Accordriver is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,678
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujambo View Post
If you put in too high an octane, it can damage your car apparently. One of the service guys told me that my 09 i4 coupe can only take up to 89, but told me 87 is good enough. If I start going into the 90s, I can have problems.

The fuel burns hotter at a higher octane and depending on your vehicle, the engine might not be able to take it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a car buff myself, just going on what a service advisor told me.
Who was the service adviser? I'd like to slap 'em.
__________________
-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
namegoeshere's Avatar
namegoeshere namegoeshere is offline
. . .
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,447
Thanks: 1
Thanked 290 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Ry View Post
What's the difference anyways between standard 89 and 93??
about 20-30 cents?
Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Mujambo's Avatar
Mujambo Mujambo is offline
09 Accord Coupe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordriver View Post
Who was the service adviser? I'd like to slap 'em.
Really? Well, make the trip to Richmond Honda here in BC, Canada!

Can you give a quick explanation about the octane? This is something I would like to know
__________________
2009 Honda Accord Coupe i4 Belize Blue AT
Tinted rear and back windows 5% (limo)
8000K HID Headlights & Foglights; Blue LED Domelighting

Future:
3D Blue Carbon Fibre Dash Trim
Rims & Tires
Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
RTexasF's Avatar
RTexasF RTexasF is offline
Old Bird...sometimes wise
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brownsville, TX
Posts: 12,784
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 35 Posts
87 octane
Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Yal Yal is offline
07 Sdn
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 284
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujambo View Post
If you put in too high an octane, it can damage your car apparently. One of the service guys told me that my 09 i4 coupe can only take up to 89, but told me 87 is good enough. If I start going into the 90s, I can have problems.

The fuel burns hotter at a higher octane and depending on your vehicle, the engine might not be able to take it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a car buff myself, just going on what a service advisor told me.
LOL Oh man that was a good laugh..thanks
Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Tailwacker's Avatar
Tailwacker Tailwacker is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
85 is what I run, but then I live in the mile high city.
__________________
1998 San Marino Red Accord Coupe EX V6 171k
Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 AM
hondastevo02's Avatar
hondastevo02 hondastevo02 is offline
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey Mujambo, about the octane. It's just a rating of the fuel's purity. The lower the octane, the more dirt and other impurities are in the mixture; the higher, the "cleaner" the gas. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the simple jist.

That comment about burning hotter and all has SOME truth to it, but let's be real, when your engine is operating at 2, 300 degrees, the difference in temperature between two fuels that are only 6 octane (87 and 93) apart is not going to be significant. If it is, than you are being cheated and that "87" sticker should read lower! You only need to worry about melting your engine when they start dumping unnecessary amounts of ethanol into our everyday gas. That is what will burn a non-flexfuel engine out.

I just bought my '07 coupe a few weeks ago and the salesman gave us a tank of gas (I am assuming 87 octane) and the engine felt like it was misfiring, struggling, and I immediately pulled an O2 sensor code. I would give it a little throttle and it would hesitate for almost half a second. I ran premium and mid-grade for a few weeks and it is much better. Probably still going to change the sensor though.

Better fuels can potentially increase fuel economy, increase horsepower, and decrease build-up in the internals. Hope that is helpful!
__________________
Stevo
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4 - Nighthawk Black Pearl
Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Dreamacre's Avatar
Dreamacre Dreamacre is offline
7th Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,819
Thanks: 44
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Ry View Post
I have a 2009 EX-L Coupe V6..my boy who has a 2010 125 swears by 93, but with that being 20-30 cents more expensive I don't know if I need it as much as he does?? What's the difference anyways between standard 89 and 93?? Do I need to put in higher grade gas??
You are so full of crap.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58372


Why are you playing games with us?

We have better things to do than answer your billshit lies.

__________________
- It is just a car -

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 AM
RTexasF's Avatar
RTexasF RTexasF is offline
Old Bird...sometimes wise
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brownsville, TX
Posts: 12,784
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Yep, ignore this one........fantasy world game player.
Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Kolia Kolia is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondastevo02 View Post
Hey Mujambo, about the octane. It's just a rating of the fuel's purity. The lower the octane, the more dirt and other impurities are in the mixture; the higher, the "cleaner" the gas. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the simple jist.

That comment about burning hotter and all has SOME truth to it, but let's be real, when your engine is operating at 2, 300 degrees, the difference in temperature between two fuels that are only 6 octane (87 and 93) apart is not going to be significant. If it is, than you are being cheated and that "87" sticker should read lower! You only need to worry about melting your engine when they start dumping unnecessary amounts of ethanol into our everyday gas. That is what will burn a non-flexfuel engine out.

I just bought my '07 coupe a few weeks ago and the salesman gave us a tank of gas (I am assuming 87 octane) and the engine felt like it was misfiring, struggling, and I immediately pulled an O2 sensor code. I would give it a little throttle and it would hesitate for almost half a second. I ran premium and mid-grade for a few weeks and it is much better. Probably still going to change the sensor though.

Better fuels can potentially increase fuel economy, increase horsepower, and decrease build-up in the internals. Hope that is helpful!
Oh please review your basic chemistry before posting such misinformation.

Octane Rating has nothing to do with actual octane compound contant.

Energy contant of 87 vs 94 is extremely close and not worth talking about. The flame propagation rate is a bit slower in 94.

Octane Rating has no significant impact on fuel economy (near identical energy contant again). Tire pressure will impact economy more by orders of magnitude...
Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
MotorCity Honda MotorCity Honda is offline
Swirl Free
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 2,679
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
2 words = Owners Manual
__________________
2003 Accord EX I4- Satin Silver Metalic - Sold on 3/14/2011 after 202,000 great miles!

2011 Volvo V50 R-Design - Silver Metallic - Purchased 3/12/2011

2013 Honda Crosstour EXL 4WD - Crystal Black Pearl
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:01 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.