Do you pinch off the brake lines when turning/pushing caliper piston back in? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Maintenance & Detailing

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
5th Gear

Question Do you pinch off the brake lines when turning/pushing caliper piston back in?

This is a long debate that I've seen all over the web. I replaced my rear pads and rotors yesterday following instructions done by Eric the car guy (www.ericthecarguy.com). He insists that the brake lines must be pinched off (vice grip with rubber hoses) with bleeder screw cracked open when turning (rear) or pushing (front) the caliper piston back in. This prevents back flow into the master cylinder passed the seal. Now, I personally had a fuss over this because brake fluid started leaking from the bleeder screw even after I tightened it. I had to make it real tight then it stopped leaking. So on the left rear side, I didn't perform this procedure. I read some comments on the web and some guys insist that a high pressure hydraulic line should never be pinched.

I'm asking if you guys ever do this. I did a few brake pad changes on my old 98 V6 Accord and I never had to do this. If someone here works for Honda, please chime in on this.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

I have never once pinched a line for a brake job. I have been a home mechanic for ~10 years too. I don't think it is good for the line at all.

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Make that BluFlsh

I've done brakes on my own cars for many years, and never pinched a line, or opened the bleeder bolt, when pushing the piston back in. The level in the resevior just rises, so you don't want it to be full, when you push the piston back in.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
4th Gear

Don't pinch the lines, you could damage them and if they fail, they'll do it while you're under braking. Some reason never to hang a caliper from the line.

But DO open the bleed valve when pushing the piston back in. The crappiest fluid in your line is in the caliper and you want to avoid pushing that fluid into the ABS system.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolia View Post
Don't pinch the lines, you could damage them and if they fail, they'll do it while you're under braking. Some reason never to hang a caliper from the line.

But DO open the bleed valve when pushing the piston back in. The crappiest fluid in your line is in the caliper and you want to avoid pushing that fluid into the ABS system.
So I have one guy here says to do it. But without pinching the brake line, you will still have some fluid that back flows. I think it's better off just doing a complete brake system flush.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:42 PM
4th Gear

No fluid will back flow unless you push the piston really quickly or keep the bleed valves closed. Gravity and a couple of check valves will help the fluid stay down.

We have to push the pistons in anyway. Otherwise there is no way to be sure an air pocket or old fluid is still in the cavity.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
5th Gear

Don't pinch the lines. It is not a good idea.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Opening the bleed bolt sounds logical, but there's no way I would put a vise-grip on my brake line.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:28 PM
07 Sdn

Been doing my own brakes since '96 and I've never opened the bleed screw OR pinched the line.
I did have one car I had to open the MC cap to allow the air to back out because the pressure wouldn't allow me to push the piston back in. I believe this is where the whole open the bleed screw thing came from...some mc caps seal so well that opening the bleed screw makes it much easier to push the piston back in. Especially with old rusted iron calipers you used to find on cars built in the 80's
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Opening the bleed bolt sounds logical, but there's no way I would put a vise-grip on my brake line.
Watch here,

He pinched the rubber brake line with with a vice grip with rubber hoses over the clamps.

I mean, what's the worst that can happen without opening the bleeder screw? I never had a problem without doing this while changing pads.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 AM
4th Gear

The worst would be to contaminate the ABS/Stability pump and related systems.

Less bad would be overflowing the MC reservoir and spilling paint removing brake fluid in the engine bay.

Openning the bleed valves isn't mandatory. Above all, it speeds up the subsequent bleed process. For a "like new" bleed, the pistons need to be all the way in.

As for pinching the lines, no way i'm ever doing that. I've seen a brake line failure and i'm glad I wasn't in that car when it turned sideway under heavy braking...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolia View Post
The worst would be to contaminate the ABS/Stability pump and related systems.

Less bad would be overflowing the MC reservoir and spilling paint removing brake fluid in the engine bay.

Openning the bleed valves isn't mandatory. Above all, it speeds up the subsequent bleed process. For a "like new" bleed, the pistons need to be all the way in.

As for pinching the lines, no way i'm ever doing that. I've seen a brake line failure and i'm glad I wasn't in that car when it turned sideway under heavy braking...
Ok, so I'm not calling Eric the guy wrong, but from I've read with most people out there, they refuse to clamp the brake lines. I would agree in this case. Actually, I don't even want to open the bleeder screw anymore because I don't have the means to bleed the brakes with a one man bleeder kit. I will just open the master cylinder cap. I've never had problems in the past anyway.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM
4th Gear

You could at least get rid of most of the old fluid from the caliper.

Just pump the brake pedal slowly afterward and top off the MC reservoir. You'll have done a partial bleed. Don3 let the reservoir empty itself and suc in air !
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
5th Gear

I specifically stopped by Honda today to ask. I spoke to a mechanic and was told that they NEVER open the bleeder screw when pushing the piston back in. So there you go. Honda trained mechanics don't even do this.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 AM
4th Gear

Of course they won't !

That would be like a free brake fluid service. They'd rather charge u an extra 100$ instead !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.