2011 Accord - Hesitation / Surge Issue - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

2011 Accord - Hesitation / Surge Issue

I have a 2011 Accord LX 2.4L auto, base model car. I have had it for about a month, and it has 1,200 miles on it. At low speeds, particularly from a dead stop, there is a noticeable lull in acceleration at times. The first time this happened, I thought the engine had died, but a second later it came back to life and surged forward. I thought maybe it was the traction control, but I turned that off and it did not improve. I also turned the AC off and the problem continued. I haven't taken the car to the dealership, because when I called multiple dealers about it, they say that since no warning lights are lit up, it must be ok. Others say they have never heard of such an issue. This is my first Accord, though I had a Ridgeline that also had a hesitation that was not as noticeable.

This is a borderline safety issue, as it has hesitated when I was turning left with cars coming the other way, and I got nervous. Again, this is a brand new car - it had 4 miles on the odometer when I bought it. Nothing is clogged or needs cleaning. Is this common for Accords? What is going on? Any insights are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
1st time honda owner

i would still take it in and have them drive it. hopefully it will do the same thing for them.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

how long is the hesitation? my LXP has a "slight" hesitation when im trying to accel. harder, but its like a second long max.
-Odyssey Lower Grill
-Deck Lid/Roof Spoiler
-Morimoto Mini w/ Apollo Shrouds Retrofit (Thanks to thisaznboi88)
-UR Front Strut bar
-17mm TSX Rear Sway Bar
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

The hesitation is only momentary, maybe a second, but it is long enough to be noticeable, and it affects how I have to drive in traffic.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM
7th Gear

Keep taking it back to the dealer. If you get no satisfactory response, call American Honda and register a complaint that dealer will not help you.

You have a new car and should not be having these problems.

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM
4th Gear

our cars have an electronic throttle control so that might be the source of the slight lag, theres also the fact that we have automatic transmissions that have less control over the rev speeds and than stuff gets complicated =P

try installing this, its supposed to reduce the lag from an electronic throttle, and i believe a few members already have this installed:
http://throwdownperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=3183
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / Megan Racing SS Coilovers / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / 19'' STR-607 19x8.5 +30 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.35 / 20% Suntek Tint

The other forum/community is better, just saying...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3 View Post
our cars have an electronic throttle control so that might be the source of the slight lag, theres also the fact that we have automatic transmissions that have less control over the rev speeds and than stuff gets complicated =P

try installing this, its supposed to reduce the lag from an electronic throttle, and i believe a few members already have this installed:
He was asking about a slight drag and surge, that some who have not driven a drive by wire system have not experienced before. Not for some ghetto, boy racer, ad-on they may damage his tranny and will certainly void his powertrain warranty.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 AM
7th Gear

Quote:

Good lord!

Let him take it to get looked at under warranty, instead of putting this "gadget" on that may VOID his warranty.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
He was asking about a slight drag and surge, that some who have not driven a drive by wire system have not experienced before. Not for some ghetto, boy racer, ad-on they may damage his tranny and will certainly void his powertrain warranty.
This
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Good lord!

Let him take it to get looked at under warranty, instead of putting this "gadget" on that may VOID his warranty.

He asked a question, i gave him a possible solution if the dealerships don't fix his problem. Our cars are constantly tuning themselves, it could be that his car limited the initial throttle to be more fuel efficient, this device forces the throttle to run at set voltages so he has more control over his initial acceleration.

How is this a ghetto, boy racer, add-on? its sold by throwdown performance one of our forum sponsers, it actually adds performance gains to the car as it diminishes the lag from our electronic throttle just ask bpearl2010 and deity, though i do agree on him getting it checked out under warranty i do not appreciate people bashing products
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / Megan Racing SS Coilovers / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / 19'' STR-607 19x8.5 +30 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.35 / 20% Suntek Tint

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
He asked a question, i gave him a possible solution if the dealerships don't fix his problem. Our cars are constantly tuning themselves, it could be that his car limited the initial throttle to be more fuel efficient, this device forces the throttle to run at set voltages so he has more control over his initial acceleration.

How is this a ghetto, boy racer, add-on? its sold by throwdown performance one of our forum sponsers, it actually adds performance gains to the car as it diminishes the lag from our electronic throttle just ask bpearl2010 and deity, though i do agree on him getting it checked out under warranty i do not appreciate people bashing products
Why?

It is an opinion. You can agree or not.

I think the "Mugen" add ons look like crap.
Others think the chrome on my car or my grille look like crap.

So according to you, if a sponsor sells something, no one can have an opinion on it?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Drive by wire takes a while to get used to. My last car had it and it took me a year to grow accustomed to it. Now, my Accord version is different and it'll take me time to get used to that as well. However, the engine cutting out shouldn't be happening. Take it to the dealer and hammer them on it.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Why?

It is an opinion. You can agree or not.

I think the "Mugen" add ons look like crap.
Others think the chrome on my car or my grille look like crap.

So according to you, if a sponsor sells something, no one can have an opinion on it?
You outrightly bashed the product believing that its a useless mod that has no performance gains. You obviously never used the product or even researched it to outright call it a ghetto racerboy mod, if you're going to give an opinion, if you're going to comment on a product give one based on experience you receive from a product, not from a biased mindset.

its like me saying that the accord is a underpowered, slow, bulky, heavy, far from sport, uncomfortable, wannabe racer, ghetto man's luxury car, without even test driving or even researching the car.

w/e theres no winning against people online so lets drop it already

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
5th Gear

Hmmm...that's strange indeed. Our I4 automatics are naturally sluggish off the line (car's too heavy and there's not much low end torque) but there shouldn't be that much hesitation before acceleration begins.

I've noticed that my car sometimes hesitates and surges during heavy throttle inputs. When it happens to me, I'm usually in 1st or 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm. The car will pull normally up to about 5000 rpm but then it'll lose power for a moment before gradually accelerating harder towards the redline. Both my 2010 and 2011 have done this on occasion, but my 2010 stopped doing it after it reached a certain mileage. Then again, I had also started using premium gas in it early last summer. That may have alleviated the problem as the power loss I noticed felt almost as if the engine was pulling timing to prevent knock during hard acceleration. I've felt it a few times in my 2011 so far during the first 1500 miles and it may be because I'm only using 87. It may be worth mentioning that the few instances I have noticed it (in both cars) were in hot and humid weather with the A/C on. The hesitation in my 2010 is actually what prompted me to switch to premium gas. That and I swear that I could hear pinging during high-load situations such as accelerating, especially up hills. I'm going to continue to run regular in my 2011 because it seems to do fine most of the time, but I may switch to 93 before the summer's over if the hesitation persists.

I'm wondering if Honda might've cut it too close by specifying regular gas for these engines. A 10.5:1 compression ratio is pretty high for a port-injected engine to run 87 in a heavy car that's meant to haul 5 people and their cargo in possibly extreme conditions. It seems like it would have to pull timing a lot and/or dump more fuel (run rich) just to keep the engine safe. Indeed I did notice through my own unscientific testing with my 2010 that the timing advance is more conservative with 87 octane than with 93 in these cars. I also observed better mileage with 93, but that could've been caused by other factors such as engine break-in and my driving style.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
You outrightly bashed the product believing that its a useless mod that has no performance gains. You obviously never used the product or even researched it to outright call it a ghetto racerboy mod, if you're going to give an opinion, if you're going to comment on a product give one based on experience you receive from a product, not from a biased mindset.

its like me saying that the accord is a underpowered, slow, bulky, heavy, far from sport, uncomfortable, wannabe racer, ghetto man's luxury car, without even test driving or even researching the car.

w/e theres no winning against people online so lets drop it already

Let's try to keep up, OK?

1. Show me where I said it was a ghetto racerboy mod? I believe that was the poster before me.

2. IMHO, it is insanity to try to tell someone to add a 3rd party "mod" to a car that is currently under the manufacturers warranty. Adding that could void his power train warranty.

3. "the accord is a underpowered, slow, bulky, heavy, far from sport, uncomfortable, wannabe racer, ghetto man's luxury car"

, you mean it isn't?

If you wanted to say that is your opinion, you have the right to do so.
It is like people asking for opinions on how their car looks. It should only matter to the person who owns the car.

Personally, I think the "mod" you suggested is usless, and I would never buy or research it's use. I feel the car does well, the way it is designed.

Again, MY opinion. I don't need to back it up, as it is how I feel. If you like it, then use it. I really don't care.

I don't like the "Mugen" grille's. I think they look like a big "Track-3 Razor". Don't need squat to back it up, it is my opinion.

Did I tell you that Jerry Mathers is 62, today?

That is one old Beaver!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.