Getting strange noise when turning hard right, possibilities? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

Getting strange noise when turning hard right, possibilities?

This sound is sort like a grinding or shuttering and only happens on a really hard right. If I'm taking a easy right hand turn around a corner I don't hear it, but if I'm in a parking lot and have to turn the car sharply to get in spot or after backing out and turning myself straight I hear it. Any clues what this could be?

Mods:
Custom bent 2 1/2" High Performance Catback Exhaust with Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Weapon R Dragon cold air intake with optional ram air charge and heat shield, Chrome Trim around wheel wells, Ugraded Tire Width to 215/60/15 from stock 195/65/15, Rear Wing, Racing stripes, Hood scoop, Pin strips, Honda Windows Logo, AM Rims, Rear Speakers

Planned Mods
Window Tint, New Wheels, TSX Intake Manifold, Coilovers, TSX headers, Body Kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

I've had similar issue but mine was at higher speeds and it was drive axle but in your case I'd check if your wheel bearings are bad. You can jack it up and press, pull, and lift ont he wheel. It should not budge at all if there is play then you know it is wheel bearing. good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would suspect the CV joint, have someone look to see if the CV joint boot is torn and allowing lubricating grease to be flung out, this leaves little grease inside the boots and will quickly cause wear and damage to the CV joints.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 06-17-2011, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviography View Post
i would suspect the cv joint, have someone look to see if the cv joint boot is torn and allowing lubricating grease to be flung out, this leaves little grease inside the boots and will quickly cause wear and damage to the cv joints.
+ 1
1985 TRX125
1987 Mustang GT
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_twisted_stl View Post
+ 1
+2

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
I would suspect the CV joint, have someone look to see if the CV joint boot is torn and allowing lubricating grease to be flung out, this leaves little grease inside the boots and will quickly cause wear and damage to the CV joints.
Thanks, I"ll get someone to look under there for me. Any idea about estimated cost for this type of repair? What a bummer I just saved up for my Fujita CAI and placed the order for it before my wife told me about the sound. Looks like I might have to send it back if it is an expensive repair.

Mods:
Custom bent 2 1/2" High Performance Catback Exhaust with Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Weapon R Dragon cold air intake with optional ram air charge and heat shield, Chrome Trim around wheel wells, Ugraded Tire Width to 215/60/15 from stock 195/65/15, Rear Wing, Racing stripes, Hood scoop, Pin strips, Honda Windows Logo, AM Rims, Rear Speakers

Planned Mods
Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Out of Control

Best bet is to jack up front and check all suspension points along with CV joint/boots . use pry bar to check ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings , swaybar links etc looking for play an noise when flexed .
could be any of these including CV but generally CV makes a clicking noise most times ,unless its real bad .

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebigg2000 View Post
Thanks, I"ll get someone to look under there for me. Any idea about estimated cost for this type of repair? What a bummer I just saved up for my Fujita CAI and placed the order for it before my wife told me about the sound. Looks like I might have to send it back if it is an expensive repair.
Mostly now, they sell the whole shaft including the CV joint and boot and it is usually cheaper to do it this way. Should be @ $120 for the shaft + labor. Call around and price them out.

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

just a reference when I looked up my Accord, from auto parts warehouse dot com

Replacement Axle Assembly
* List Price: $94.41
* You Save: $47.85
* Our Price: $46.56
* Low price guarantee
* In Stock

CV AXLE ASSEMBLY, NEW -- Includes axle nut, joints, and boots; Manufactured from 100 percent new components to ensure proper fit and operation; Provides maximum safety and stability, restores vehicle's handling and control, and improves passenger comfort over the toughest and roughest driving conditions; Backed by 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty.

* Condition: New
* Quantity Sold: Sold individually
* Product Fit: OE replacement
* Warranty: 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty
1985 TRX125
1987 Mustang GT
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Mostly now, they sell the whole shaft including the CV joint and boot and it is usually cheaper to do it this way. Should be @ $120 for the shaft + labor. Call around and price them out.
Whew....what a relief, I thought it would be way more than that. I think I can keep my CAI now when it gets here. Thanks guys

Mods:

Planned Mods
Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 AM
04 Accord V6 6spd

assuming it is in face one of the driveshafts, its not a hard thing to change.. not at all.. most likely theres a procedure for on here for it.. Biggest issue would be something not wanting to come off lol (whether it be rust or whatever)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
TL-S 20mm RSB/27.2mm FSB
K&N Typhoon Intake
Paul's Intake Manifold Spacer
ATLP V1 J-Pipe/RV6 Race Pipe
XLR8 Mounts (62a)
XLR8 Pulley (not installed)
Blitzsafe Hon Aux DMX v.2
Hand-Stitched (Red) Shift Boot
OEM Style Wing

Lighting:
Retro & LED Fog Strip
Full LED Interior + Footwells, Door Side Pockets, Reverse
Pic of most of the LEDs
Reverse LEDs
Custom-lit Coin Tray

My Coin Tray DIY
-CARDOMAIN-
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntextreme3 View Post
assuming it is in face one of the driveshafts, its not a hard thing to change.. not at all.. most likely theres a procedure for on here for it.. Biggest issue would be something not wanting to come off lol (whether it be rust or whatever)
agreed, still, you probably can tackle this yourself w/ jack stands if your mechanically inclined. Ive done a handful on various hondas and others. But yeah, any sort of under body work can quickly become a nightmare w/ broken or stripped hardware. If your car is clean underneath id go for it. assuming its torn
- OEM mudflaps
Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear

Whew! Thank goodness it wasn't anything bad. Haha it turned out when my buddy helped me remove my front bumper to do a resonator delete he forgot to put back some of the clips by the right wheel well and it was flopping around a bit and rubbing the wheel on tight turns. Everything is squareed away now. No I just have to wait on getting my cold air intake put in. I've given up on the Fujita, the place I ordered it from didn't have it stock and I had to wait three days before they told me, and I called three other places today they were all out also so I ended up ordering a Weapon R based on based on a cold air intake shootout I read in DSport magazine. The Weapon R was a close 2nd to the Fujita

Mods:

Planned Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.