how to change a low beam light bulb 2011 honda coupe? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Todd Turbo S Todd Turbo S is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to change a low beam light bulb 2011 honda coupe?

Trying to install HID low beams for my daughters Honda cpe. The headlight assembly are projector types. Any help would be appreciated.

Second question, how do change the fog light bulbs too?
Thanks
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
ilovelamp's Avatar
ilovelamp ilovelamp is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 681
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Young Jedi, you must trust the force within your manual.
__________________
2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Danielc409's Avatar
Danielc409 Danielc409 is offline
Sugar coating for you ..
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Port Arthur, TX
Posts: 6,138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Remove wheel or turn it all the way to one side, peel back the fender liner, and hope you have skinny enough arms to get in there to pull the bulb out.
__________________
2011 Subaru STi - Stage 2 - Plasma Blue Pearl

My member journal / build thread @ IWSTI

2008 Honda Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L AT NBP
No longer owned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
DOOM's Avatar
DOOM DOOM is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 12
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DOOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielc409 View Post
Remove wheel or turn it all the way to one side, peel back the fender liner, and hope you have skinny enough arms to get in there to pull the bulb out.
...which is exactly what i did this weekend to upgrade my lowbeams. crank the wheel all the way to the opposite side of the bulb you want to access. my forearms are all bruised up but overall the job took very little time to complete. the clips can be the biggest pain but you should be able to get by only removing three of them.
__________________
2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 | http://inspiredaccord.blogspot.com
Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Nitto 555 | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/General GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen/Modulo Kit | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/xBa2 Halo/WIFI RGB Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Todd Turbo S Todd Turbo S is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Danielc409 and DOOM, thank you, or rather my daughter thanks you. Four years ago, I had bought my daughter a 2003 Honda Ex V-6 for her 16th B-day and had many issues with it, including replacing the transmission. So when it hit 100K, I sold it and just bought her the new 2011 EX-L V6 with Nav and was surprised that HID were not included. Given the lights are projector types I didn't bother checking. Anyway, her 2003 had 6000KHID and was a huge improvement, so I would imagine with the projectors, the HID's will be even better.

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Markus's Avatar
Markus Markus is offline
Corvalis TTX
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,532
Thanks: 76
Thanked 179 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
Danielc409 and DOOM, thank you, or rather my daughter thanks you. Four years ago, I had bought my daughter a 2003 Honda Ex V-6 for her 16th B-day and had many issues with it, including replacing the transmission. So when it hit 100K, I sold it and just bought her the new 2011 EX-L V6 with Nav and was surprised that HID were not included. Given the lights are projector types I didn't bother checking. Anyway, her 2003 had 6000KHID and was a huge improvement, so I would imagine with the projectors, the HID's will be even better.

Todd
You will find that the H9 bulb in place of the H11 low beam beam bulb will give better results than any HID kit. Several members of this very forum have dumped their HID kits in favour of H9s and have found more usable light. Why? Because HID kits just don't work well in projector or reflector halogen headlights. They generate a lot of glare for oncoming traffic and put too much light in front of the vehicle. This excessive light actually reduces your long distance night vision although it does give people a false impression of having better headlights.

Read this to understand why HID kits are anything but a good idea.
__________________
Mark
14 Accord Touring V6 sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2013 Porsche 911 Turbo S | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Todd Turbo S Todd Turbo S is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Markus

I would strongly disagree. I'd have to see evidence, i.e., an 8th generation projector light with one side H9 and the other, HID (not the inexpensive kits, but rather the Philips HID from Germany). I have several European sport cars, most of which I have upgraded the OEM bulb from 4300K to a higher output, which yields a better overall drivers view and I can tell you that having become use to driving cars with HID lights, I find it almost dangerous to drive behind the wheel of a car with halogen headlights. Three key items I'd like to point out;

First off, H.I.D. lights work better because they are much brighter compared to halogen lights. The average lumen (the amount of brightness that comes from a light source) of an H.I.D. light is about 4000 lumens. Compare this with a typical halogen light which is 1400 lumens, and you’ll see the point. I've read some articles where drivers react faster and more accurately to minor roadway mishaps when they are using H.I.D. headlamps rather than the halogen ones. The testers believe that the primary reason is due to clearer visibility when using H.I.D. lights, which speaks directly against your article.

Second, H.I.D. burners give off more light from less power than halogen lights. What this means is that power consumption is significantly reduced. What's more, reduced fuel consumption can consequently produce lesser CO2 emissions per vehicle. This leads to a much cleaner and greener environment which is the a hot topic nowadays.

Third, H.I.D. lights work better than halogen lamps because their average life span is 2000 hours, while a halogen lamp runs for about 450 to 1000 hours.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
xJoeMama78's Avatar
xJoeMama78 xJoeMama78 is offline
Out of Control
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
Markus

I would strongly disagree. I'd have to see evidence, i.e., an 8th generation projector light with one side H9 and the other, HID (not the inexpensive kits, but rather the Philips HID from Germany). I have several European sport cars, most of which I have upgraded the OEM bulb from 4300K to a higher output, which yields a better overall drivers view and I can tell you that having become use to driving cars with HID lights, I find it almost dangerous to drive behind the wheel of a car with halogen headlights. Three key items I'd like to point out;

First off, H.I.D. lights work better because they are much brighter compared to halogen lights. The average lumen (the amount of brightness that comes from a light source) of an H.I.D. light is about 4000 lumens. Compare this with a typical halogen light which is 1400 lumens, and you’ll see the point. I've read some articles where drivers react faster and more accurately to minor roadway mishaps when they are using H.I.D. headlamps rather than the halogen ones. The testers believe that the primary reason is due to clearer visibility when using H.I.D. lights, which speaks directly against your article.

Second, H.I.D. burners give off more light from less power than halogen lights. What this means is that power consumption is significantly reduced. What's more, reduced fuel consumption can consequently produce lesser CO2 emissions per vehicle. This leads to a much cleaner and greener environment which is the a hot topic nowadays.

Third, H.I.D. lights work better than halogen lamps because their average life span is 2000 hours, while a halogen lamp runs for about 450 to 1000 hours.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Todd
Mark is a lighting engineer with multiple cars with factory HIDs. He's not against HIDs in general, just HIDs in halogen housing. The way your headlights work is about more than just pointing light out from the front of your car. The optics of the headlight system are complex and are designed for optimal performance around one light source. With HIDs the filament is not in the correct place and the foreground is too bright which reduces distance vision.

I have firsthand experience with this. I tested my HID kit back to back with H9s in my 8th gen coupe. With the HIDs the area right in front of the car was brighter. I also compared distance vision using reflective signs. Although it seemed like I could see better with the HIDs because of the bright foreground, I could see signs farther down the road with H9s. A road obstacle that pops up 25 feet in front of the car at night is something you probably won't be able to avoid regardless (45 MPH = 66 ft/sec). But something that you can see from 150 feet away can be avoided. I would rather sacrifice a small amount of very close visibility to see farther down the road more clearly.

Read the like that Mark posted, it's a good one.
__________________
2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Markus's Avatar
Markus Markus is offline
Corvalis TTX
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,532
Thanks: 76
Thanked 179 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
Markus

I would strongly disagree. I'd have to see evidence, i.e., an 8th generation projector light with one side H9 and the other, HID (not the inexpensive kits, but rather the Philips HID from Germany). I have several European sport cars, most of which I have upgraded the OEM bulb from 4300K to a higher output, which yields a better overall drivers view and I can tell you that having become use to driving cars with HID lights, I find it almost dangerous to drive behind the wheel of a car with halogen headlights. Three key items I'd like to point out;
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'll bet that German Philips HID kit you have is not a real Philips kit. I'm friends with the executive in charge of world wide automotive lighting at Philips corporate and it's his assertion that Philips has never made HID kits and has never provided HID burners to the rebasing market. It's all fake according to him. There is a vendor in the US, The Retrofit Source, that was selling what they had been told were rebased Philips burners. Upon pressing the supplier for the truth the supplier finally admitted that the bulbs were in fact not Philips but were counterfeit. As the colour temperature of the light increases beyond 4100K we humans actually, and in real world testing, see less. The light may seem whiter and/or bluer but it actually tricks the human visual system into thinking we can see more. There's a good reason why OEM HID is capped at 4100K - if we humans could see more with 5000K light then 5000K is what OEM HID would be.


Quote:
First off, H.I.D. lights work better because they are much brighter compared to halogen lights. The average lumen (the amount of brightness that comes from a light source) of an H.I.D. light is about 4000 lumens. Compare this with a typical halogen light which is 1400 lumens, and you’ll see the point. I've read some articles where drivers react faster and more accurately to minor roadway mishaps when they are using H.I.D. headlamps rather than the halogen ones. The testers believe that the primary reason is due to clearer visibility when using H.I.D. lights, which speaks directly against your article.
HID lights don't automatically work better than halogen. Just as there are good and bad halogen lights there are good and bad HID lights. There are, believe it or not, some halogen headlights that are considered better than some HID headlights. It's all in the engineering. Have you ever wondered why OEM HID is typically wider than OEM halogen? It's because we headlight designers cannot put all of the light available from the HID bulb into straight-ahead lighting. HID headlights would never pass certification testing if the beam pattern was the same as halogen. There'd be too much forward light and this is one of the very reasons HID kits are just bad news.

The article is written by one of the best HID headlight designers and gurus in the business. I'm not sure which testers you are referring to but I'd bet my paycheque they don't know more about automotive lighting than Mr. Stern does. I have been designing headlights, HID and halogen for just over 25 years so I'd like to think I know a little about that of which I speak.

A typical OEM HID setup is about 3100 lumens, not 4000 as you claim. A typical 35w HID kit (which typically are only about 27-30w) and has inferior salts in its bulbs is unlikely to produce more than 2700 lumens. And that's at 4100K temperature. As the colour temperature goes up the lumens go down. An H9 bulb is rated 2100 lumens at 12.8v. When the engine is running and voltage is at 13.8-14v, that will increase to ~2700 lumens (lumens of a halogen bulb increase with voltage to the power 3.4). An H9 will easily have more lumens than a typical HID kit (HID output does not vary with input voltage as long as the minimum required voltage for the ballast is met).

The colour temperature of HID can be problematic compared to that of halogen. The SPD (spectral power distribution) of HID favours blue light (this is why HID appears "whiter" than halogen). This bluer light is problematic in wet weather because the driver's visibility actually decreases in wet weather with HID. HID also causes a colour shift - what would be red with halogen will look redish-gray with HID. It's generally accepted in the industry that people see colours truer with halogen than with HID although the jury is out on whether that really matters. What is also accepted is that HID is not "better" than halogen and it certainly does not give clearer visibility (whatever that really means?).

I drive two cars with OEM HID myself - a Porsche 911 and an Infiniti G37X. Both have decent lighting but if I'm driving at night in wet weather I'll jump in either my Accord or my XJ6. Both have halogen lighting systems. It's interesting that my Accord with 9012 HIR bulbs in place of the 9006 OEM bulbs actually produces more usable light than the OEM HID in my 911 or G37X. It's not as wide a beam as the other two cars but the light is more usable especially in inclement weather.

Quote:
Second, H.I.D. burners give off more light from less power than halogen lights. What this means is that power consumption is significantly reduced. What's more, reduced fuel consumption can consequently produce lesser CO2 emissions per vehicle. This leads to a much cleaner and greener environment which is the a hot topic nowadays.
Correct. Assuming a 35w (OEM) or 27-30w (typical Chinese kit) is used. The folks who opt for 55w HID are saving no energy.


Quote:
Third, H.I.D. lights work better than halogen lamps because their average life span is 2000 hours, while a halogen lamp runs for about 450 to 1000 hours.
The average lifespan of OEM quality HID can be 2000 hours. The life of Chinese HID bulbs, the ones found in most if not all HID kits last much less than that. The newest Philips 9012 bulb is rated at 1400 hours and, again, I'd bet my paycheque that it outlasts a typical aftermarket HID bulb. And I really can't see why average life matters in whether a headlight is good or not - surely it's the light on the road that matters? Regardless, just like halogen bulbs, HID bulbs diminish in output over time. Should anyone actually get 2000 hours out of a HID bulb it will probably be putting out no more than 1000 lumens and will certainly not be as white as it was when new.

I ran a series of tests several years ago for the company that I was designing headlights for at the time. The test was to see which headlights were considered "better". We took a standard halogen projector and ran the test with halogen bulbs and a HID kit. Every single time the HID kit was used the test subjects said the kit provided better light than the halogen bulb. Even when we were able to clearly demonstrate that their distance vision dropped dramatically with the HID kit (because of the overlit foreground) they still said the HID kit was better because having a huge amount of light immediately in front of the vehicle (where it actually does no good at speeds over 25 mph) made them feel good and gave them a sense of comfort. They felt they had better lights than they really did and the sense of comfort was just that - a sense and not reality.
__________________
Mark
14 Accord Touring V6 sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2013 Porsche 911 Turbo S | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
an3i7rust's Avatar
an3i7rust an3i7rust is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rego Park/ Forest Hills NY
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to an3i7rust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelamp View Post
Young Jedi, you must trust the force within your manual.

dude every topic u post on, you make useless smart ass comments.. why not help explain the guy how to do it properly then tell him to look that in the manual which doesn't help for shit...

oh and btw I dunno about the coupe but in the sedan i went in thru the wheel well and blindly did it by feeling where the old bulb is and pulling it out and putting in the new one, unless you want to do it the long way by removing the front bumper..
__________________
2010 Accord LX
Blue LED Grill Lights
30K Dark Blue HIDS
Blue License plate LED Strip
Interior Blue Lighting

Coming soon-
35% tints all around
Mugen type R Spoiler
Injen CAI
Exhaust System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 AM
ilovelamp's Avatar
ilovelamp ilovelamp is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 681
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by an3i7rust View Post
dude every topic u post on, you make useless smart ass comments.. why not help explain the guy how to do it properly then tell him to look that in the manual which doesn't help for shit...

oh and btw I dunno about the coupe but in the sedan i went in thru the wheel well and blindly did it by feeling where the old bulb is and pulling it out and putting in the new one, unless you want to do it the long way by removing the front bumper..
Not sure why asking the op to read the manual is useless... There is a whole section in the manual dedicated to changing the bulbs. If the purpose of the forum is to repeat unnecessarily what is already out there it simply loses value. And I beg to differ, I did help him.
__________________
2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Silverstreak's Avatar
Silverstreak Silverstreak is offline
Autobot Gunner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 408
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the good info in this thread. I'm planning to change out my bulbs for Crystal Vision Ultra halogens this weekend. I wanted the pure white look without going to HID.

I've never done this before and am hesitant about going through the well. Hopefully I will be able to get the clips off & on without breaking them.
__________________

35% tint -- Oddysey Lower Grille -- Plasti-dipped all chrome -- Blacked Out Lower Bumper -- Painted Exhaust Tips -- Crystal Vision Ultra 4300K heads/fogs -- body color door handles

Coming Soon:
Light Smoke Tail Tints -- LED conversion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM
suisunca's Avatar
suisunca suisunca is offline
BringTheIntegraBack
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 343
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
Second, H.I.D. burners give off more light from less power than halogen lights. What this means is that power consumption is significantly reduced. What's more, reduced fuel consumption can consequently produce lesser CO2 emissions per vehicle. This leads to a much cleaner and greener environment which is the a hot topic nowadays.

Todd
Your second statement is absolutely bull. You ask Markus to provide data but make flippant assertions as though you are a scientist. (Incidentally, in science, "significant" actually means something--statistical analysis precludes the use of the term unless certain probabilities are first proven. Look it up.)

Headlight usage will not increase fuel consumption by any measurable amount, let alone increase CO2 emissions!! Just because clean and green is the hot topic, that does not make your statements become magically true.
__________________
2011 PMM Coupe | V6 EXL Nav 6MT
HFP Suspension | 19" HFP Wheels
SPC Camber Correction | TSX RSB | 2010 Tails
Photos here: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60979

1992 Integra LS 3DR 5MT
Bone Stock; Original Owner
590,000 miles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 AM
ilovelamp's Avatar
ilovelamp ilovelamp is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quakertown, PA
Posts: 681
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suisunca View Post
Your second statement is absolutely bull. You ask Markus to provide data but make flippant assertions as though you are a scientist. (Incidentally, in science, "significant" actually means something--statistical analysis precludes the use of the term unless certain probabilities are first proven. Look it up.)

Headlight usage will not increase fuel consumption by any measurable amount, let alone increase CO2 emissions!! Just because clean and green is the hot topic, that does not make your statements become magically true.
__________________
2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.