How do you know if you have a coolant leak? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Out of Control

How do you know if you have a coolant leak?

I was doing some fluid checks over the weekend and I noticed that the reservoir tank was empty and the fluid level in the radiator itself was not visible at the top. Does this mean I have a coolant leak somewhere? AFAIK, I don't have any going into the combustion chamber itself because I don't have any white smoke coming out of my exhaust. And if I do have a coolant leak, it's not so much that my car is pooling fluid on the floor whenever I park.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
6th Gear

Who said it would end up in your combustion chamber? You might check your oil to make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake -- especially if there's no evidence on the ground.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

How long has it been since it was last checked? That's a lot of coolant to lose all of a sudden. Agree with above, milky looking oil would be a sure answer as to where the coolant went.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
6th Gear

My guesses are as follows: radiator leak, heater core or water pump. If it only leaks when the system is hot and under pressure the coolant can be lost as steam so you never see a puddle. Fill the system up and check things out while its hot.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Out of Control

Honestly, I haven't checked my cooling system since the day I got my timing belt and water pump done. That was at 136k miles and my car is creeping on 212k miles. When that was done, the shop topped off all the lost coolant.

The last oil change I did about 4k miles ago (I do my oil changes every 7k on full synthetic), the oil looked dark brown like it's supposed to.

I have filled it up since and i'll just keep an eye on it.

I also want to do some regular maintenance, and I was going to do a coolant system flush next weekend and replace the coolant with Honda blue coolant. My thing is, IDK how to do the flush service. I presume I need some sort of machine?

During this process I am also planning on replacing the thermostat along with the upper and lower hoses of the coolant system to and from the radiator and engine block.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

maybe it is just coolant loss....
try to check your radiator caps, maybe the rubber doesn't close well (harden).
'01 accord (current car)
'06 accord (current car)
always been a Honda family :)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Honestly, I haven't checked my cooling system since the day I got my timing belt and water pump done. That was at 136k miles and my car is creeping on 212k miles. When that was done, the shop topped off all the lost coolant.

The last oil change I did about 4k miles ago (I do my oil changes every 7k on full synthetic), the oil looked dark brown like it's supposed to.

I have filled it up since and i'll just keep an eye on it.

I also want to do some regular maintenance, and I was going to do a coolant system flush next weekend and replace the coolant with Honda blue coolant. My thing is, IDK how to do the flush service. I presume I need some sort of machine?

During this process I am also planning on replacing the thermostat along with the upper and lower hoses of the coolant system to and from the radiator and engine block.
If you just had your timing belt done, then a coolant flush should be unnecessary - as long as they used Honda coolant.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Let's see over 76k miles have passed since the timing belt was done and coolant topped off. It could be normal to lose that much over that time frame. Get the blue oem stuff in there. Check the level very often at first to monitor(daily when cool). At the longest every two weeks down the road. Not only the coolant but ALL fluids: oil, coolant, p.s., brake, atf.

99 Accord Coupe: 2.3, 166k, original owner.(sold)

94 Civic Coupe: manual (sold with 45k)

83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe: Traded in with 67k.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordriver View Post
If you just had your timing belt done, then a coolant flush should be unnecessary - as long as they used Honda coolant.
I don't think the shop I took my car to for the timing belt and water pump replacement used Honda OEM stuff or any equivalent that does not use any additional solvents like silicate which is why I'm interested in doing a flush.

I'm wondering how it is that I can do a flush of all my coolant? Since I don't have any sort of machine that will do a flush for me and I know I can't use a garden hose as that has minerals that are harmful to the metals of the engine block and radiator, what do I do? How do I properly remove all of the old fluid and replace it with new fluid? Would it be OK enough if I were to just do a drain and fill of my cooling system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
Let's see over 76k miles have passed since the timing belt was done and coolant topped off. It could be normal to lose that much over that time frame. Get the blue oem stuff in there. Check the level very often at first to monitor(daily when cool). At the longest every two weeks down the road. Not only the coolant but ALL fluids: oil, coolant, p.s., brake, atf.
It is quite possible to have lost the fluid like that, but if the entire cooling system is air tight, why would have I lost any fluid at all?

After this, I will be monitoring my coolant level much more closely than once every blue moon. I'll be checking it every oil change at the longest interval.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 AM
6th Gear

Just drain the radiator and the engine block and you should be good to go. Draining the rad is easy, but the drain plug for the block is a little hard to get to..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Out of Control

where is the coolant drain plug for the engine block?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
where is the coolant drain plug for the engine block?
I believe there's technically two, but the plug you'll want to use is on the rear of the engine block; it's got a slender end that you can attach an end to.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Striking-A-Chord

Quote:
I believe there's technically two, but the plug you'll want to use is on the rear of the engine block; it's got a slender end that you can attach an end to.
thanks for posting the info

I'm going to drain my coolant and change the thermostat while I'm at it

GO STEELERS!!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
At the rear? So, closest to the firewall or the side opposite of the engine pulleys?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 AM
6th Gear

Firewall side of the block. Just so you know, it's kind of a pain to get to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.