2003 Accord V6 Automatic Transmission Problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

2003 Accord V6 Automatic Transmission Problems

2003 Accord V6 Automatic Transmission
200k miles, still in great shape.

Hey all!

Bummer, was decelerating today and my 03 felt like it hit a rock in the road (didn't actually hit a rock though). Didn't think too much of it until I accelerated at the next stop light and the tranny slipped in 3-4 or so and wouldn't stay there. So I limped it in 1st over towards the dealer and left it there but didn't drop the keys(sunday). There's an AAMCO nearby, I just am wondering what I should do?

Should I take it to the dealer and probably get gouged? Anyone know about AAMCO? I'm guessing if it's a full rebuild we're probably talking $3k or so huh?

Advise, words of encouragement are welcome!
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
. . .

I'd take it to dealer first. Did car have oil jet kit installed? There was a transmission recall where they were suppose to install the oil jet kit to help with transmission issue.

If it's bad tranny, maybe you can get Honda to help out in the form of goodwill work. They might help cover the cost of either rebuilt transmission or labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure it got the recall work done. This was before I owned the vehicle however. Came up on the vehicle history though.

I mean, what are the chances of goodwill work done on the tranny? Though I've done the majority of my maint at the dealer, it's got 200k miles on it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Make that BluFlsh

That is a bummer. My 03 only has 90k miles, so I'm hoping it goes as far as yours did. Were there any fluid changes done? I would say at least $3,000, at a dealership. I think good-will at this point is a long shot.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah this is the first major repair i've needed, and the vehicle is paid for so....i can't say i'm FURIOUS like so many others out there who had problems eariler than me.

Yours should hold up at least for awhile longer...I just think it's one of those things with this model not to neglect, get your fluids flushed and check often. I really do love the car, so even at 3k it's probably worth it if I get another 100k miles out of it.....though $3k would go far towards a lease or downpayment!

Funny enough I got a tranny flush about 6 months back because they noticed it was dark...probably a symptom of the bigger ensuing problem.

I would agree that goodwill repair is probably out of the question -- may not hurt to ask I guess, but then they'll need to take it in and diagno$e it, and then tell me it'll be $3k on top and goodwill is not an option due to the mileage.

Just wondering if it's something that might be better and CHEAPER served by a tranny shop where they guarantee their work...? AAMCO is offering free diagnosis, 100 buck off coupon.....
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

Who flushed the transmission? I'm pretty sure Honda says not to flush any of their transmissions, and to only do drain & fills. Also changing out the filter (which Honda says doesn't exist) is a good idea.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

You can go ahead with dealer but it will cost you about $6500. I took mine to AAMCO and paid $2700. It's been 50,000 mile already with the rebuilt tranny and honestly I'm nervous because I had the dealer replace my tranny at 50,000 miles when it started slipping. Then at 110,000 miles it messed up again. Called corporate and try to get it replaced or get help for the cost but nada. They said my mileage was too high and out of warranty even if the tranny is a POS. AAMCO found water in my tranny due to the kit Honda put in to help cool down the fluid so that was replaced also along with my front motor mount. They showed me my tranny while they were rebuilding it also. I am now at 152,000 miles and still running good. hopefully it stays like that. Drain and fill genuine Honda fluid every 15-20,000 mile. Why? Because itís a pretty small transmission that only takes 3 quarts of fluid compared to Toyotas that holds up to 7 quarts so our tranny fluid puts in alot of work. Remember, itís just drain and fill no filter so don't let the shop screw you $120. Buy your fluid from the dealer (it take exactly 3 quarts) and drain and fill yourself.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
I'd take it to dealer first.

If it's bad tranny, maybe you can get Honda to help out in the form of goodwill work. They might help cover the cost of either rebuilt transmission or labor.
sounds like good advice to this sailor. Reviewing CU data on the 2003 Accord would underscore substituting a clutch for the torque converter/planetary gearset route.

Incense will be burned, perhaps a rain dance. Maybe the Honda folks will meet you halfway or propose some action to ease your (fiscal) pain. IIRC, they have done this in days prior.

best, ez....

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambonesian View Post
Remember, itís just drain and fill no filter so don't let the shop screw you $120. Buy your fluid from the dealer (it take exactly 3 quarts) and drain and fill yourself.
Actually our transmissions do have a filter. I agree with most of your advice, but in my opinion it's beneficial to periodically change the transmission filter.This thread will fill you in about the filter.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ghlight=filter
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds85466 View Post
2003 Accord V6 Automatic Transmission
200k miles, still in great shape.

Hey all!

Bummer, was decelerating today and my 03 felt like it hit a rock in the road (didn't actually hit a rock though). Didn't think too much of it until I accelerated at the next stop light and the tranny slipped in 3-4 or so and wouldn't stay there. So I limped it in 1st over towards the dealer and left it there but didn't drop the keys(sunday). There's an AAMCO nearby, I just am wondering what I should do?

Should I take it to the dealer and probably get gouged? Anyone know about AAMCO? I'm guessing if it's a full rebuild we're probably talking $3k or so huh?

Advise, words of encouragement are welcome!
I would call auto lots and parts counters, look for a crashed tranny. It would be nice to buy a brand new one but you may not get the value before you want a new car. I would throw a junker in it and drive it until it explodes though.
- OEM mudflaps
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
Actually our transmissions do have a filter. I agree with most of your advice, but in my opinion it's beneficial to periodically change the transmission filter.This thread will fill you in about the filter.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ghlight=filter
cool thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
3rd Gear

I had aamco rebuild. There were a lot of hard parts replaced (low holding sprague for one), aside from the common 3rd clutch drum failure on this model.

Full rebuild with update kit, 3yr/36k mile warranty, $3600. Cheaper than the dealer by about 2k, better warranty, updated parts.

Cheaper than a new car+payments. Hopefully I'll get another 190k out of this one.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.