92 Accord - Erratic rpms, missing/sputtering, stalling - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The Early Generations

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
My First Post

92 Accord - Erratic rpms, missing/sputtering, stalling

Ok..so I'm having some serious issues with my car. It's a 92 Accord 2.2 AT. I was having the infamous didn't want to start problem when it's hot out. After some research found out about the problems with the Main Relays on these cars. Then one day all of a sudden it started sputtering and stalled out shortly after I started driving (almost acted like it ran out of gas). It continued to do this sporadically on hot days. I thought the main relay must be getting pretty bad and finally went and picked one up and switched it out last week hoping perhaps that would fix both problems. No longer have the hot start issues but still having the sputtering/stalling issues.

I can usually tell when it's going to start sputtering/stalling because my tach usually starts jumping 300-400 rpm and the rpms will bounce sometimes with no accompanying missing/sputtering sometimes with. Then sometimes the tach will just go haywire and jump all over the place and finally will just drop to zero. When it drops to zero the car acts like it has stalled but no lights come on in the dash and if you pump the gas several times all of a sudden it'll usually (not always) sputter back to life and keep going. Occasionally pumping the gas doesn't work and after a moment it is completely stalled or it will sputter and stall completely. If it stalls completely sometimes it will restart right away and sometimes it will take 5 minutes or so before it will start again and when it restarts it usually sputters/misses at first and you have to really keep on the gas pedal to keep it running. Then I can usually finish driving to where I was going or it'll start the same cycle again immediately or within minutes. Also, there's a strong odor (fuel?) after sputtering and trying to keep it running. Figure I must be flooding it a bit when trying to keep it going.

Also, I've now noticed that at an idle at stoplights my rpms now drop to only 500 rpm - I keep thinking the car's going to die.

Has anyone had similar problems? I'm kind of at a loss. From searching on the internet it sounds like these cars are known for distributor issues. I've also read that erratic rpms could mean the ignitor? Perhaps the coil? Could it be a fuel filter or god forbid fuel pump issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear

here are some checks...
Fuel pump: turn the key to acc..if you can hear the pump click on then the pump is good. you should hear it kick on.

Ignitor & coil: Get a helms and test the voltage for each. Usually ignitors don't slowly die they just stop working. Its almost all or nothing for them.

Fuel Filter: Easy...if you cant remember or don't know when it was last done then just replace it. That is cheap maintenance.

As for the low idle clean out your IACV with some brake cleaner and a rag to make sure it isn't gummed up. Also check the flux thermo valve on the fIACV.
Below the throttle body you will see the FIACV. It will have two coolant hoses attached, disconnect them and remove the FIACV. On the back of the valve there will be a copper/brass cover. Take that cover off and that will expose the fluxthermo valve. screw it down clockwise. You should be able to see an entrance hole...you dont want that covered.

Let us know how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
erratic rpm, missing, sputtering, stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.