1999 Accord transmission problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

1999 Accord transmission problems

When coming to a stop it will downshift into 1 hard before stopping, and taking off it will rev higher than it needs to and slams into gear. It seems to be having this problem only in 1 and 2 gear, but 3 and 4 seem to be fine when it shifts into them. I have been to a transmission shop and they said it seemed fine and did a flush. Didn't help and i am now in the same situation. Now they're saying that its a solenoid or something rather. I don't know what they mean by this, or if it will work or not, but if anyone has add this similar problem and had it fixed, i would greatly appreciate the help. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblennis View Post
When coming to a stop it will downshift into 1 hard before stopping, and taking off it will rev higher than it needs to and slams into gear. It seems to be having this problem only in 1 and 2 gear, but 3 and 4 seem to be fine when it shifts into them. I have been to a transmission shop and they said it seemed fine and did a flush. Didn't help and i am now in the same situation. Now they're saying that its a solenoid or something rather. I don't know what they mean by this, or if it will work or not, but if anyone has add this similar problem and had it fixed, i would greatly appreciate the help. thanks
Since no one has responded, maybe cause there are so many trans threads...

Mine was doing the same thing, it eased somewhat after I drained the trans and refilled it. Some months later, after it would heat up it would downshift while driving into 2nd. 1st and 2nd worked, but while it was hot it wouldn't go into D3 or D4.

I don't know what kind of flush they did, if they used any cleaning solvent or not. What I did is purchase and us SeaFoam Trans Tune. So far my trans is operating better than it was. The other item I've been advised to check is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Haven't done that yet...

I don't know if this would work for you and I'm not suggesting you try it, I'm just saying what I've done.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblennis View Post
Do you know what transmission fluid they flushed/refilled it with? Our tranny's are very tempermental and only like certain fluids. I would stick with a Honda brand fluid like Honda Z-1 or DW-1. There is a member here that uses Valvoline Maxlife with no problem.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Stone View Post
Do you know what transmission fluid they flushed/refilled it with? Our tranny's are very tempermental and only like certain fluids. I would stick with a Honda brand fluid like Honda Z-1 or DW-1. There is a member here that uses Valvoline Maxlife with no problem.
there are several actually.

Other known compatible Z-1 fluids are AmsOil, Mobil1 ATF, RoyalPurple, and RedLine D4.

I'm sure that there are other brands out there that work, but those are the ones people have been mentioning in other transmission threads.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys sorry i havent replied. No one replied so i didnt pay much attention. But im not sure what trans oil they used but i can find out. And mine does it when it heats up as well but it seems opposite since mine is 1 and 2 that it has trouble with. Thank you guys for the help by the way, i really appreciate it
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

I'm supposed to take it in today and theyre gonna check a sylenoid or something, since to them it sounds like its sticking which seems appropriate. I'll see what they say and how long its gonna take and go from there
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Out of Control

cool. let us know what they say.
2000 2dr. v6 Accord | Limo Tint | Black housing Crystal Headlights | Greddy MX Exhaust | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | R1 Concept slotted/ventilated rotors - Front | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | DC Strut Bar | 6000k HIDs | Pioneer DEH-P6000UB | Pioneer mid speakers | Matt Tweeters | Kenwood 4ch. 800w Amp | 2x 10" Sony Xplod 800w subs | Sony 1200w Class D Amp
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

So i am just getting it back tonight, and apparently they didnt switch out the sylenoids because they're saying its an egr code that is causing it. So in order to fix it, we need to find out what is causing that code to come on. I dont know what the code is or anything, but if you guys have anything on codes that can cause this, i would appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Out of Control

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4692
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Hey checked out that thread, but none of them specify anything. But i have the mdII code reader, and i cleared the check engine lights whenever it came on, and the car ran great today. Although one time i tried to see what would happen if i revved it up, and it studdered a bit but nothing like before. I guess my best bet is to let the codes go off and see which of these would cause this kind of trouble? idk what would you suggest?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

Same problem.... About to start a complete rebuild today

Accord Guys,
I'm new to this forum with this being my first post here ever.

I stumbled across this thread and my daughter's car is having exactly the same problems. A few months ago we started having problems with the '99 (LX - Auto). Honestly, I had not taken proper care of the fluid in this vehicle. I performed a thorough flush and the car worked PERFECTLY for the last 3 months.

Last week, it started shifting EXACTLY as the initiator of this post described. I replaced ALL of the solenoids and the car ran well for the week. When replaced, I noticed the screens in the lock-up solenoids were clogged with crud. I assume this "CRUD" is disk material.

Today, it's acting the same again. Once it gets hot, it shifts very hard and slips.

I purchased a complete rebuild kit from RockAuto which contains all the plates, fibers, gaskets, seals etc. I have rebuild successfully several GM TH-350's and TH-400's. However, I have NEVER touched the internals of one of these. It seems likely the internals of this '99 are toast? It has 250k on the odometer and has been rode hard and put up wet....

Any additional advice? Anyone pull one of these apart at home? Any specifics to watch for? I do NOT have any good documentation of the inside of this tranny....Got some?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kboehringer
Peachtree City Georgia

'97 4-Door EX (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
'99 4-Door LX (Auto - 4-Cyl - Vtec)
'04 4-Door EX-L (Standard 4-Cyl) -TOTALLED by Son
'07 4-Door EX-L (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
'12 4-Door LX (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboehringer View Post
Accord Guys,
I'm new to this forum with this being my first post here ever.

I stumbled across this thread and my daughter's car is having exactly the same problems. A few months ago we started having problems with the '99 (LX - Auto). Honestly, I had not taken proper care of the fluid in this vehicle. I performed a thorough flush and the car worked PERFECTLY for the last 3 months.

Last week, it started shifting EXACTLY as the initiator of this post described. I replaced ALL of the solenoids and the car ran well for the week. When replaced, I noticed the screens in the lock-up solenoids were clogged with crud. I assume this "CRUD" is disk material.

Today, it's acting the same again. Once it gets hot, it shifts very hard and slips.

I purchased a complete rebuild kit from RockAuto which contains all the plates, fibers, gaskets, seals etc. I have rebuild successfully several GM TH-350's and TH-400's. However, I have NEVER touched the internals of one of these. It seems likely the internals of this '99 are toast? It has 250k on the odometer and has been rode hard and put up wet....

Any additional advice? Anyone pull one of these apart at home? Any specifics to watch for? I do NOT have any good documentation of the inside of this tranny....Got some?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kboehringer
Peachtree City Georgia

'97 4-Door EX (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
'99 4-Door LX (Auto - 4-Cyl - Vtec)
'04 4-Door EX-L (Standard 4-Cyl) -TOTALLED by Son
'07 4-Door EX-L (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
'12 4-Door LX (Standard 4-Cyl Vtec)
Did you only perform 1 drain & refill? If so, that is not enough. In order to get most of the old fluid out, you need to perform 4 drain & refills. Do 1, drive around for a few miles, do another one, drive around for a few miles, etc. Not all the tranny fluid will come out the first time (as there is fluid in the transmission itself that you won't be able to access). I would try that before you start rebuilding the tranny.

As far as rebuilding the tranny, I have no knowledge. Maybe someone who has ripped into one of these bad boys can give you some advice. If that's the route you take, good luck... I am sure it will be a bear to work on.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 09-15-2012, 07:38 AM
6th Gear

Here is a link to Eric the Car Guy opening up a Honda transmission. Not a rebuild how-to and its not a 4 cyl transmission, but quite similiar inside. Hopefull it will give you some ideas of what to expect.
http://www.ericthecarguy.com/videos/...youtubegallery

There are some other you-tube videos showing additional things to clean/check when you "rebuild" a Honda automatic transmision. Just search you-tube.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Toni
Pls house, the issue of vibration in d gear box when changing gears, do u think cleaning d filters on the gearbox can help? Anyway, In my 2002, I discovered there are about three different small filters. I have managed to loosen one of the three. I think there is an improvement. The other two re a bit tough to open. I am yet to get assistance and do the same cleaning on the filters. If anyone has gone thru dis process, pls i need to know. Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by SatinSilver; 12-18-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

Hey everyone,

The 1998-2002 Accords were notorious for Transmission problems. You can do drain and refill's, even replace solenoids all day long if you want. The fact of the matter is, these transmissions were junk. They even created a "technical service bulletin" over them. They had extended the factory power train warranties for 2000 to 2002 models to 7 years or 109,000 miles. THIS WAS NOT A FORMAL RECALL AND WAS A CASE-BY-CASE deal. Just trying to help all of you out! As I was having problems with my transmission as well. I though maybe just a solenoid too. But in fact I needed to replace the entire transmission. I bought a fully rebuilt Honda Transmission with the full factory warranty of 3yrs./36,000mls. Honda also keeps records of every time a transmission has been replaced obviously and had told me that I was lucky i got the mileage out of the transmission I did! I got 181,000 miles out of it! And the new transmission was $2,600 after a returned $1,200 core for the old one and an employee discount... (Just for the part :/ I installed the tranny myself. Labor would have been an extra $1,000 if I wasn't a tech)
JDM Black Housed Halo Projectors
Eibach Suspension Kit - 2in. drop
Mods to come:
New wheels (having a hard time with the 4 Lugs :/)
Type-R front Lip
Possibly KSport Coilovers
Possibly Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.