2005 Honda Accord EX Starting Problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

2005 Honda Accord EX Starting Problems

I recently bought a 2005 Honda Accord EX. The car has been having problems starting up at random times (not just in the morning, but also during other times) but the car seems to runs fine once it starts. Since the car runs fine, I didn't think it was the alternator. I had the mechanic check out the battery and the starter and he said those looked okay. Concurrently, a check engine light came on indicating that the O2 sensor was malfunctioning. My mechanic recommended that I switch it off the first time and see if it comes back on again because he said it could just be 'bad gas'. A few weeks alter, the same check engine light came on again and I promptly got it replaced - hoping that it would solve the starting problem too. Unfortunately, the car is still having problems. The mechanic also recommended I purchase fuel system cleaner to clean out the engine. There was some improvement soon after I added the fuel system cleaner but the problem is back again. I'm not too sure what else I should do. I'm considering taking it to a dealership to run some diagnostics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
mobiless2

Have you replaced the starter relay in fuse box under hood. There was a recall to replace.
2005 SSM LX I-4 Auto Sedan: TL-S FSB / TL-S RSB / Tokico HTS Shocks / Neuspeed Sport Springs / 18" Element SC Wheels / 225-45-18 / TSX Rotors / CR-V Dual Piston Calipers / SS Brake Lines / K&N SRI / TSX Header / TSX IM / P2R Thermal Gaskets / Ralco Pulleys / HFP Front Lip / OEM Deck Lid Spoiler / TSX Mirrors / Fogs / HID Retro-Fit / K40 270K

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto Sedan: Weapon-R I Throttle / TL FSB & RSB / Morimoto H1 / Fogs / K40 / Viper 5704 140K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT Sedan:
Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

sounds like a fuel issue (relay or pump). When the issue is happening while trying to start have someone smack the fuel tank with a hammer underneath a couple of times, if it helps than its fuel pump. Or the right way put a fuel pressure gauge (which no one besides mechanics or do it yourself ppl have) on the fuel line and see how much psi you have?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

My 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid appears to be having a similar problem and it's been going on for over 3 years. The intermittent problem was beginning to drive me crazy. I'd drive to work in the morning without any problems and then frequently get "nothing" when trying to start the car to go home at the end of the day. There were dash lights, radio, etc but not even a click when turning on the starter. When trying to jump start the car, instant turnover. The dealership told me my 60 month battery was done for after only 37months and sold me a brand new very expensive 60 month battery. 38 months later, I was having the exact same problems again. Had the neighbor jump start the car and took it to Napa who checked the battery and was told there was zero cranking power left. I bought another brand new battery with much higher cranking power than the original battery. Something tells me there may be another problem causing the batteries to go bad because it's only been 2 months since the new one was installed. Came home from shopping the other day, several stops, no problems driving or starting until after I got home, stopped the car at the front door to unload. When done, went out to the car to move to the back of the garage and it won't start. Instrument panel lights up but ignition won't even click! Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.