TPMS light on - Warranty and other Questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

TPMS light on - Warranty and other Questions

Hello,

My wife has a 2008 Accord LX with 25k miles on it.

Over the last few months the TPMS light (NOT the low pressure light, but the light that says "TPMS") has been on a few times. Finally last week it came on and stayed on.

About a month ago, I called the dealership and was told that this light meant low pressure in the tires. I said no, the manual says this light means a bad sensor or receiver. The service person said "well, sometimes, but sometimes its still low pressure."

I've checked the pressure in every tire and its 32lbs all the way around.

My wife set up an appointment for monday, to get this looked at.

1. Will this be covered under my warranty? I have the extended warranty through honda that covers all the electronic gadgets in the car.

I called the dealership and asked and was told "sometimes its under warranty, we have to inspect the part"

I said "Do you mean if its damaged, it won't be warrantied, but if it just went bad, it will?"

To which the service manager said "maybe, it depends."

I really don't feel too great about this response.

Is this a common problem in these cars? I don't see any damange on the valve stems or around them on the tires. Is there any other way they could have been damaged?

I advised my wife if they tried to tell her it was damaged, to request to see it and compare it to a new one.

2. Can I rotate the tires without affecting the TPMS system?

3. We are leaving on thursday for about a 500 mile trip. Is the car safe to drive with no TPMS system, as long as the tires are inflated properly?
I read on here in one thread that someone was insisting that the car could retard the engine when the TPMS system is bad? This is my first vehicle (although 3rd accord) with a TPMS system, and so far its been more of a pain than anything.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to hernando
honda charges way to much... go to like a mavis or tire shop mine was fixed for 22.00 dollars...

18" coupe V6 wheels dark bronze
Upper Mugen grille
Lower mesh grille
V6 front bumper
6000k led strip headlight
3000k yellow fog light
led Tails smoked bottom
Led inspire trunk lid
roof spoiler
oem 12' deck lid
LED interior conversion
15% tint
JDM license plate relocator
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernando View Post
honda charges way to much... go to like a mavis or tire shop mine was fixed for 22.00 dollars...
I will definately do this IF its not covered under warranty.

That is my main question here.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

my tpms light was coming on also on my lx-p accord but it stop once i got new tires look like the guys at pepeboys reprogram it so far 4 days the light hasn't turned on
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM
7th Gear

Mine came on last week. I checked and all pressure was good. Light was still on. I then let @ 5 pounds of air out of each and refilled back up to spec, and light went off.

Been off ever since.

2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Doc Mojo

the battery on the sensors could be dead and needs replacing. Car's computer holds 1 set of TPMS sensor numbers, so if you got a second set of tires (ie, for winter tires), the TPMS light will go on because it cannot find the original set.

it's safe to drive the car with TPMS light on, it's just as you would in a car without TPMS sensor. TPMS light = disabled VSA (variable speed assistance <-- think that's what it stands for), which helps you get traction when you're stuck in snow/mud. It will not affect daily driving.

Under the warranty, it should cover bumper to bumper... though i'm not sure if they'll replace the TPMS battery for you. But give them a big deal and said you want to talk to the manager if they want to charge you for the job... and have them show where in the warranty document says whatever the job they want to charge you for is not covered.

good luck!

>>Build Thread Here<<
>>List of Mods with Links<<
>>Ported I4 Intake Runners<<
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuangandrew View Post
the battery on the sensors could be dead and needs replacing. Car's computer holds 1 set of TPMS sensor numbers, so if you got a second set of tires (ie, for winter tires), the TPMS light will go on because it cannot find the original set.

it's safe to drive the car with TPMS light on, it's just as you would in a car without TPMS sensor. TPMS light = disabled VSA (variable speed assistance <-- think that's what it stands for), which helps you get traction when you're stuck in snow/mud. It will not affect daily driving.

Under the warranty, it should cover bumper to bumper... though i'm not sure if they'll replace the TPMS battery for you. But give them a big deal and said you want to talk to the manager if they want to charge you for the job... and have them show where in the warranty document says whatever the job they want to charge you for is not covered.

good luck!
Actually, if the TPMS light is on, VSA CANNOT BE DISABLED. (I speak from experience since my winter tires do not have TPMS sensors)

If you tire pressures are AOK, if you don not encounter the very few circumstances where disabling the VSA would be preferable (I haven't in almost 4 years of driving in Snow Country), the worst effect is the annoying yellow "TPMS" on the dashboard. Go in peace!

BTW VSA stands for "Vehicle Stability Assistance"
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuangandrew View Post

good luck!
Seems dumb they would have batteries.

I assumed it worked like those flashlights that you shake really hard to charge the capacitor up in before you can use them.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Tom View Post
Hello,

My wife has a 2008 Accord LX with 25k miles on it.

Over the last few months the TPMS light (NOT the low pressure light, but the light that says "TPMS") has been on a few times. Finally last week it came on and stayed on.

About a month ago, I called the dealership and was told that this light meant low pressure in the tires. I said no, the manual says this light means a bad sensor or receiver. The service person said "well, sometimes, but sometimes its still low pressure."

I've checked the pressure in every tire and its 32lbs all the way around.

My wife set up an appointment for monday, to get this looked at.

1. Will this be covered under my warranty? I have the extended warranty through honda that covers all the electronic gadgets in the car.

I called the dealership and asked and was told "sometimes its under warranty, we have to inspect the part"

I said "Do you mean if its damaged, it won't be warrantied, but if it just went bad, it will?"

To which the service manager said "maybe, it depends."

I really don't feel too great about this response.

Is this a common problem in these cars? I don't see any damange on the valve stems or around them on the tires. Is there any other way they could have been damaged?

I advised my wife if they tried to tell her it was damaged, to request to see it and compare it to a new one.

2. Can I rotate the tires without affecting the TPMS system?

3. We are leaving on thursday for about a 500 mile trip. Is the car safe to drive with no TPMS system, as long as the tires are inflated properly?
I read on here in one thread that someone was insisting that the car could retard the engine when the TPMS system is bad? This is my first vehicle (although 3rd accord) with a TPMS system, and so far its been more of a pain than anything.

Thank you!
I had to same experience you did. I have an '08 Accord v6 and the TPMS light came on for the second time in two months. The first time it stayed on for a day or two and this time it's been on for 5 days. The dealer said that light meant low pressure, but that's not what the owner's manual says it is.

My tire pressure's been 32 since I checked it about 6 weeks ago, and again yesterday. I took it to the dealer today and they replaced one of my TPMS sensors due a low battery voltage from the sensor itself. It was covered under warranty. They also said that it's safe to drive if that light is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.