2003 V6 How to tell if transmission is about to die? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

2003 V6 How to tell if transmission is about to die?

I have a 2003 Accord V6 Coupe with 168,000 miles. It has been dealership maintained and has had that transmission recall done where they added a piece to lubricate the gears or something.

I have noticed lately when I accelerate or need some power to merge into the next lane, the car will give a sudden jerk and then accelerate. It gives a thud and seems to be happening a little more frequently.

Is this a sign of the transmission dying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

03 transmission

Yes, that would be a sign. This is a common problem with those years (in the V6 models) Whatever you do, DONT CHANGE THE FLUID, that will only worsen the problem! You may want to check motor/transmission mounts too, that could be the problem...
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

Why would changing the fluids worsen the problem?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
FL350

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar_cle View Post
Yes, that would be a sign. This is a common problem with those years (in the V6 models) Whatever you do, DONT CHANGE THE FLUID, that will only worsen the problem! You may want to check motor/transmission mounts too, that could be the problem...
Change the transmission fluid. I suggest getting 12 quarts of Honda ATF and do three drain and fills driving a little between each drain and fill. See if that helps. But 168K on the original trans is a pretty good run.

'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
'04 Honda Accord LX (no longer owned)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Change the transmission fluid. I suggest getting 12 quarts of Honda ATF and do three drain and fills driving a little between each drain and fill. See if that helps. But 168K on the original trans is a pretty good run.
+1 to all, especially to the drain and fill x3.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Pull the atf dipstick...what color is the fluid?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Sold the Accord

Sudden jerk and then accelerate, yes, those are the initial signs of failure. Changing the fluid won't stop the failure, it will eventually get worse and start to completely slip out of gear during acceleration between 1st and 2nd gear, and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. Or, maybe the fluid is dire need of changing, or is low. But what you described is when the transmission begins to fail.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 AM
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Sudden jerk and then accelerate, yes, those are the initial signs of failure. Changing the fluid won't stop the failure, it will eventually get worse and start to completely slip out of gear during acceleration between 1st and 2nd gear, and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. Or, maybe the fluid is dire need of changing, or is low. But what you described is when the transmission begins to fail.
My gf's Mazda 626 has an auto transmission that has been jerking between 1st and 2nd for over 3 years now. Granted its not a honda, i wonder how long you could roll like that.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Sold the Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianH2O View Post
i wonder how long you could roll like that.
Until it stops moving.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear

1. 3X3 DW-1 Drain and Fill (DO NOT FLUSH)
2. Replace Transmission Filter
3. Replace Transmission Pressure Switches
4. Add a Transmission Cooler to extend the life of the oil
5. 1X3 drain and fill every 10-15K miles

DIY and it should run you under 250 to do #1-4
-Enkei J10 Performance Series rims
-Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake
-Full Stage 3 LED conversion
-OEM Spoiler
-Custom Droid Mount
-B&M Transmission Cooler
-TB Coolant Bypass
-Full Length MDX Intake Spacer
-Lightweight Pulley
-ATLP V2 J-Pipe
-Battery Relocation to trunk
-1000W Sound System (custom subwoofer box)

Future Mods:
-TL-S Front & Rear Sway Bars
Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear

oh and clean your Transmission Solenoid screens while you are in there.
-Enkei J10 Performance Series rims
-Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake
-Full Stage 3 LED conversion
-OEM Spoiler
-Custom Droid Mount
-B&M Transmission Cooler
-TB Coolant Bypass
-Full Length MDX Intake Spacer
-Lightweight Pulley
-ATLP V2 J-Pipe
-Battery Relocation to trunk
-1000W Sound System (custom subwoofer box)

Future Mods:
-TL-S Front & Rear Sway Bars
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 AM
3rd Gear

Response to Transmission problem

My 2002 civic had a sililar problem from 80k till i got rid of the car at 152k. I had good luck with NOT changing the fluid. I took it to several transmission shops that all told me not to change the fluid no matter what anyone said, as long as it was clean, and didnt smell burnt They said that changing the fluid, would make it worse(one guy said he sees it all the time with honda transmissions, that someone would get the fluid changed, then within the next week, it would fail...I was happy that the transmission ran as long as it did slipping that way. It was a crapshoot. I learned to drive my car carefully as i knew when it would slip(alot more when cold) At 152k, i noticed it starting to slip really bad between 2nd and 3rd gear(almost redline'ing) so thats when i knew to get rid of it. Just remember a dealer will give you 2000$ + for it if it still runs, but if the tranny is shot, youll be lucky to get 500$ If you really like the car, im sure you can find a transmission shop that would do it for like about 2000$
THe engines in these cars run to 300k no problem as long as you've gotten routene oil changes(and dont floor it at every green light) that wont be a problem! Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post
I have a 2003 Accord V6 Coupe with 168,000 miles. It has been dealership maintained and has had that transmission recall done where they added a piece to lubricate the gears or something.

I have noticed lately when I accelerate or need some power to merge into the next lane, the car will give a sudden jerk and then accelerate. It gives a thud and seems to be happening a little more frequently.

Is this a sign of the transmission dying?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 AM
FL350

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar_cle View Post
My 2002 civic had a sililar problem from 80k till i got rid of the car at 152k. I had good luck with NOT changing the fluid. I took it to several transmission shops that all told me not to change the fluid no matter what anyone said, as long as it was clean, and didnt smell burnt They said that changing the fluid, would make it worse(one guy said he sees it all the time with honda transmissions, that someone would get the fluid changed, then within the next week, it would fail...I was happy that the transmission ran as long as it did slipping that way. It was a crapshoot. I learned to drive my car carefully as i knew when it would slip(alot more when cold) At 152k, i noticed it starting to slip really bad between 2nd and 3rd gear(almost redline'ing) so thats when i knew to get rid of it. Just remember a dealer will give you 2000$ + for it if it still runs, but if the tranny is shot, youll be lucky to get 500$ If you really like the car, im sure you can find a transmission shop that would do it for like about 2000$
THe engines in these cars run to 300k no problem as long as you've gotten routene oil changes(and dont floor it at every green light) that wont be a problem! Best of luck!

There's some confusion here. I'm sure if you revisited the above conversation the key word was most likely "flush" and not change. DO NOT FLUSH Honda transmissions.

However, a fluid CHANGE will do no harm. Actually it will help with the AT performance and longevity.

'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
'04 Honda Accord LX (no longer owned)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
3rd Gear

Thx for the clear-up, your excatly right...they said a drain and fill wouldnt cause harm, but the FLUSH ruins em! Thanks for clearing that up! Dont know why i couldnt post that in the 1st place...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
There's some confusion here. I'm sure if you revisited the above conversation the key word was most likely "flush" and not change. DO NOT FLUSH Honda transmissions.

However, a fluid CHANGE will do no harm. Actually it will help with the AT performance and longevity.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

OK thanks. DO NOT FLUSH. I am afraid to bring it to the dealer. They will definitely tell me it's the transmission and want to replace it rather than try the more consevative approach first.

If I do smooth acceleration it doesn't do the jerk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.