Air Compressor Assembly and Steering pump - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Air Compressor Assembly and Steering pump

I've had my Accord for two months tomorrow, and just a couple days ago I had it taken to my dealer because it was making weird sounds. One while turning, which I automatically figured was the power steering pump, and another different sound, which I can only describe as a whining sound at certain RPM's, 2.5 and 4 specifically.

After taking it to Brad Barker Honda, they told me it was the Air Compressor, and the Steering pump. 400 for the pump, and 1300 for the Compressor.

The issue is, I took it to two different mechanics the day after I first got the car. One that was recommended by a personal friend, and another recommended by my parents. They both completely checked my car out as fine, besides needing a little air in tires, and an oil change, both of which was done.

And then, just a month after that, I heard a clunk coming from my engine area immediately after starting my car, to which I then immediately shut it off, and looked under my engine to check to see if anything broke off, etc. After not seeing anything, I turned it back on no problem. Drove less than a mile right over to the gas station, and while there after turning the car on again, my TCS/ (!) light turned on, and my MPH and my RPM guages didn't work. Luckily, my apartment was only 5 minutes away, and once I got there I restarted the engine and all seemed fine. Immediately decided to take it into the dealer the next day anyway.

Took it in, and they said they were packed, but they called their repair shop that they go to when they're jammed, and they checked it over for free. Couldn't fine anything wrong in the engine. This was a month ago, at most.

What i'm wondering is how they didn't see anything wrong with the Assembly or the Powersteering pump just a month ago. I didn't think stuff like that could just degrade so much over a single month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

The fact that you say that your TCS/ (!) light turned on, and MPH and RPM guages didn't work, tell me that perhaps your alternator has gone bad and sometimes it doesn't deliver power at all. If you remove the belt, with the engine off, and turn the alternator manually then perhaps you'll hear the same sounds. A re-manufactured delphi alternator goes for about $200-300. Take it to any mechanic and ask them to test the alternator by attaching a multi-meter and seeing what is the voltage of the battery when it is off, running and then running with accessories (like air and lights) on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

I'll be sure to do that. That only happened once though, a month ago. Since then, absolutely no similar problems with the TCS or gauges. And the current sounds it's making happened at least two weeks afterward.

I've only taken it to the dealer since first getting it. Entirely possible they're just trying to get money from me. It seems to only happen when the engine is cold. If I drive it for a couple of minutes, both noises stop. I have noticed that it makes a weird sound starting up though. Kind of like it's struggling to turn on. Battery is only two months old though, so hopefully isn't that. My battery light doesn't turn on, so assuming its not the alternator.

Edit: well... My battery light now turns on whenever I'm not pushing the throttle. Whenever I am giving any amount of throttle, it flickers and goes away. Just started doing that yesterday.

This car is getting to be more problematic than its worth.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Well, it died on me. Battery light came on yesterday, died while driving home from work. Battery light indicator was on first, then the TCS/! light came on, then ABS and emergency light came on almost immediately after. Stereo turned off, then all my gauges leveled out. After realizing I wouldn't make it the couple of feet to the Honda dealer, I just pulled into a parking lot and it shut off. So I guess there's my alternator.

Making me wish I had my old car now. Though I suppose that it was more dangerous than what this car is going through right now.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:53 AM
4th Gear

DO NOT purchase a reman delphi unit, they are known to fail. The earlier 7th gen Accords came with them OEM. The late model years came with OEM Denso units and are of better quality.

*this was posted on v6p.net

Reman Denso unit @ RockAuto is ~$220 incl core charge
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

The Denso is super expensive (pushing $1k), plus you'll have to adjust the harness connectors since they will only plug-and-play on a Delphi. Meaning, you'll have to cut off the existing connector and replace it with the one that will fit the Denso, so you got to go buy that too.

I am running the re-manufactured Delphi for 2 years now with no signs of trouble. Buy it from a Honda dealer parts department to make sure you get the real deal and not some monkey alternator.

A note about replacing the alternator: You'll have to remove the left fan, exposing the radiator. Careful with the radiator as it is very sensitive to scratches etc, it may break. Put a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator, just to be safe.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

^Good advice!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

I can't personally do any of the work, I'd have to take it to the shop. Overall, the prices are looking at 500 for pump, 500 for alternator, and 1.3 for assembly. Unfortunately, just two months after buying the car i don't have that kind of money.

So at the moment it's just sitting at the dealership. First car I've ever bought from a dealer and I'd have to say it's a horrible experience so far. Car repairs are already 1/4th of the cost of the car, and I haven't even made my second payment yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.