Rough Idle on "D" While Stopped? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
3rd Gear

Rough Idle on "D" While Stopped?

Sup Guys,

I own a 06 Accord I4 automatic with 56K miles. As of recently i get a rough idle while the car is in Drive and im stopped, for example at a stop light. This is both when the car is cold and when its warm. When the car is in Park, Neutural or Reverse it doesnt feel rough. I recently replaced the transmission mount and gave it an oil change to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Sup Guys,

I own a 06 Accord I4 automatic with 56K miles. As of recently i get a rough idle while the car is in Drive and im stopped, for example at a stop light. This is both when the car is cold and when its warm. When the car is in Park, Neutural or Reverse it doesnt feel rough. I recently replaced the transmission mount and gave it an oil change to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have the same problem...It might be motor mount as well..I have an 07-i4 with 85k...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Accord fan

Try Seafoam-ing it.
[*]Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires at 32k miles[*]Honda battery at 48k miles[*]Honda battery at 63k miles[*]Transmission Fluid 1x D&R at 53K miles[*]Honda Front Pads and Brake Fluid D&R at 58K miles[*]Transmission Fluid 4x D&R at 63K miles[*]17mm RSB at 64K miles[*]ATF 1x D&R at 80K miles[*]Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires at 80k miles[*]Rear shocks (leaking) replacement at 93.5k miles[*]ATF 1x D&R at 100K miles[*]PS Hose replaced at 100K miles
Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
3rd Gear

Does it happen when your a/c compressor is on? I get some NVH when my a/c is on and my car is idling. Of course, my header may be to blame too.

I've heard of some A/T Accords having that issue, and remember reading somewhere that Honda replaced engine noise dampers on some cars.
TSX intake mani / "Ported" injector base
Throttle body coolant bypass / PowerRev intake gasket
Powerslot front rotors / Skunk2 upper arms
20mm rear sway, 27mm front sway / '06 EX wheels
Megan EZ Street coilovers / Ingalls rear camber kit
6 speed tower strut bar
Comptech short shifter / Stainless TWM shift knob
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

May or may not help but go buy a can of Chevron Techron large enough for a 20 gallon fuel tank. Pour it in and go fill up. If it's just a matter of cleaning you'll feel a positive difference in 100 miles or less. The worst you could do is clean up your fuel system and injectors
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Sup Guys,

Thanks
Replace with new maybe larger BATTERY.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:37 AM
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to eugenet Send a message via Skype™ to eugenet
Quote:
Sup Guys,

Thanks

Could be any number of things...did you get a CEL yet?
O2 sensor, Intake manifold leak, bad plug, bad wire, bad gas...
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

They don't have plug wires.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:31 PM
5th Gear

If the defrost or a/c is on mine tends to run a little more rough at times and I only notice it when I am stopped at a light or something.

Honestly, I used to be able to notice it when I got gas from a lower quality station - like a off brand or something. (Maybe I was just imagining that haha, but I could tell from speedway, which I almost always get - to something like a circle K or Mom and Pop shop.) I can't notice this much more since I am about to hit 70k and shes gettin a little older now - but still runs awesome! - Your car may just be getting a little older, which will make it run less like new, it shouldn't be any major rough idling though...

Also, I had to replace a vacuum hose of some sort for the air for the engine which is when I REALLY noticed a hard idle when I came to a light, actually the engine stalled out a bunch of times because of this too. The hose/regulator or something like that was broke so the engine had problems regulating/filtering the amount of air that it took in and either had too much or too little when I was stopped.

Im sure you would know if it was a serious problem like the last one, but other than that I hope I provided some insight nonethless.

- Fog Lights
- Thule Roof Rack & Fairing
- K&N Intake
- Tinting 18%
- PlastiDipped Rims
- Engine Valve Cover Red
- Black Calipers & Thermal Honda Decal

- iPod Integration
- JL Audio JX360/4
- Kicker 40CS6934 6x9s
- Infinity Reference 6.5s
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM
5th Gear

Wow.

You guys are funny.

The vibration is most likely from a worn out motor mount. Given the OPs symptoms, it seems to be the front torque motor mount.

NEVER Seafoam your car.
Do not use injector cleaner (both are a waste of money).
The battery has NOTHING to do with how the car idles.
If the AC compressor is on, the car will vibrate more because the is more of a load on the engine itself with the AC compressor running.
The transmission mount does not control vibrations in the car, this is mostly dampened by the front torque mount, as I stated previously.

BMBaccord- your problem was a leaky vacuum hose, which has nothing to do with the OPs issue.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouch View Post
Wow.

You guys are funny.

The vibration is most likely from a worn out motor mount. Given the OPs symptoms, it seems to be the front torque motor mount.

NEVER Seafoam your car.
Do not use injector cleaner (both are a waste of money).
The battery has NOTHING to do with how the car idles.
If the AC compressor is on, the car will vibrate more because the is more of a load on the engine itself with the AC compressor running.
The transmission mount does not control vibrations in the car, this is mostly dampened by the front torque mount, as I stated previously.

BMBaccord- your problem was a leaky vacuum hose, which has nothing to do with the OPs issue.
I have to disagree with you on some points. My brother is Honda master tech with over 30 years experience in shops, and when I have a question about the validity of a practice he will tell me his opinion on the subject. I only tell you that to give a frame of reference for my comments.

He is absolutely on board with using Techron, and I have experienced good results myself using it. I asked him about Seafoam a while back (and expected him to tell me not to use it) but he said that it can help with older high mileage cars, and even some other mechanics in the shop have used it with no ill effects. I've used it myself.

I'm not sure if a bad battery could cause a bad idle, but it CAN cause a car to quit running. I have experienced that firsthand.

As I stated earlier, I believe that Honda did a TSB on some automatics where vibration was an issue and the fix was to replace a NVH damper. I will try to find that info again. He could also be having one of a number of problems with the auto trans itself, which of course would mean a trip to the dealer to check out.
6 speed tower strut bar
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
3rd Gear

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...t=motor+mounts

This is what I was thinking about. It pertains to the 03-04 Accords. Don't know if it would apply to the '06. Something to consider.
6 speed tower strut bar
Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
5th Gear

I've seen seafoam destroy cars. Injector cleaner can help, but there is usually an underlying problem causing this issue. So it is actually better to figure out what is wrong with the car instead of throwing cleaners at it.

Of course a dead battery can cause a car to not run. But if the bad battery is causing the car to shut off, then it might actually be caused by the charging system. This would cause the battery to drain, eventually causing the car to shut off.
All generations of cars are different. Just because one car had a problems does not mean the next generation does too.

I was simply suggesting the first thing a mechanic would look at if they were fixing the car. I have worked at a shop for over 10 years and my father has over 40 years of experience.

So, to the OP I would recommend checking the motor mounts. It takes all of maybe a minute. And if that is the problem, then it is a simple fix. If not, then one thing is checked off as not being the problem. Makes sense to do first with how easy it is to check it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

I would probably say its the front engine mount. Not sure if in the I4 it is an active one like the V6. The V6 front engine mount has 2 chambers in it. When below 1000 RPM (I think) it opens a valve and with the help of the intake vacuum gets the liquid from the lower chamber to the upper chamber to ease vibration. Again, not sure if the 4-banger has the same type of front engine mount.

PS. Seafoam helps, but to a certain degree. What really helps is ethanol-free gasoline !!!! Once in a while I fill up with Shell 91 (up here in Canada), and the engine runs so smoothly its unbelievable.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouch View Post
I've seen seafoam destroy cars. Injector cleaner can help, but there is usually an underlying problem causing this issue. So it is actually better to figure out what is wrong with the car instead of throwing cleaners at it.

Of course a dead battery can cause a car to not run. But if the bad battery is causing the car to shut off, then it might actually be caused by the charging system. This would cause the battery to drain, eventually causing the car to shut off.
All generations of cars are different. Just because one car had a problems does not mean the next generation does too.

I was simply suggesting the first thing a mechanic would look at if they were fixing the car. I have worked at a shop for over 10 years and my father has over 40 years of experience.

So, to the OP I would recommend checking the motor mounts. It takes all of maybe a minute. And if that is the problem, then it is a simple fix. If not, then one thing is checked off as not being the problem. Makes sense to do first with how easy it is to check it.
Points taken. You could pour in something too fast into an engine and hydrolock it. And of course, vibration is not necessarily caused by a rough running engine. If the car is not stumbling or the idle is not bouncing around then I'd say something else is going on and cleaning won't help.

Aren't the automatics equipped with a vacuum assisted front mount?
6 speed tower strut bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.