2007 EX-L V6 Auto Transmission Problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

2007 EX-L V6 Auto Transmission Problems

Well, it looks like I will be taking it in for what looks like the classic transmission failure. Noticed that it began shuddering slightly as if the engine was missing at the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts on a 70 mile return trip home. It also appeared to "hunt" overdrive at about 45 mph. Then the following day it suddenly slipped to the point of barely moving, but fortunately after revving it up to about 4000 rpm it banged into gear and I was able to get it back home. It had its fluid changed at the dealer at 30K and now has only 42K miles on it. Will have it owed to the dealer next week and see what they say.

07 Moroccan Red EX-L V6 Sedan
'11 Corvette Z06/07
'12 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Make that BluFlsh

People have said the transmission problems were mainly on the 03=05 models, but obviously that was wishful thinking. Some people also claim Honda's transmission fluid is part of the problem, but some of the V6 transmissions go well over 100k miles on Honda fluid. If your transmission goes out before 50k miles, I think it's more likely caused by the design, defective parts, or programing of the transmission, than the fluid. At least you still have warranty left on it. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoroccanRed07EX View Post
Well, it looks like I will be taking it in for what looks like the classic transmission failure. Noticed that it began shuddering slightly as if the engine was missing at the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts on a 70 mile return trip home. It also appeared to "hunt" overdrive at about 45 mph. Then the following day it suddenly slipped to the point of barely moving, but fortunately after revving it up to about 4000 rpm it banged into gear and I was able to get it back home. It had its fluid changed at the dealer at 30K and now has only 42K miles on it. Will have it owed to the dealer next week and see what they say.
Welcome to the club. 06 AV6 sedan here. Trans went out at 44k miles. I did 3 D&Rs (drain and refill) with Honda fluid at around 35k (? I forget exactly when) when I started noticing differences in shifting characteristics. The dealer also did one with Honda fluid a few thousand miles before the trans was ultimately replaced. At the end of the day, none of that really prevented the trans from its demise.

I'm on my second auto trans and I currently have about 74k miles on my car. I'm using a different fluid now (Redline fluid), and my trans has had no issues since. Some people think the problem with our transmissions is the internals and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the fluid, while others feel that while there may be other contributing factors, the biggest issue is the trans fluid. I am one who believes the latter.

But I digress. Unfortunately, with Honda, after experiencing issues myself, I regret not getting a 6 speed Accord. I wish you good luck with your second trans.
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

I wasnt aware that the 06-07 v6's had this problem too? I thought it was strictly only 03-05. Are there others out there that also had this problem with there 06-07 v6's? I have seen some v6 06's with 175k+ and trans is fine...(its a Auto)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar_cle View Post
I wasnt aware that the 06-07 v6's had this problem too? I thought it was strictly only 03-05. Are there others out there that also had this problem with there 06-07 v6's? I have seen some v6 06's with 175k+ and trans is fine...(its a Auto)
The obvious example, is the guy who posted right before you, whose 06 V6 tranny went out at 44k miles. When on the other hand, my 03 V6 is still going strong at 94k miles. Luck of the draw, IMO, with just about any Honda Accord V6 transmission. Some last, and some don't. Some of it may be because of abuse, but again IMO, these transmissions are not all created equal. Wether it's internal manufacturing defects or programing/assembly issues. I would not be surprised to see some 8th gen (08+) V6 transmissions go out too. In my opinion, Honda still has not come up with a solution to the issues.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

While mine is an '03 V6, what you explained is EXACTLY what mine did. Only with the 2-3 shift at first...then I lost 3rd completley...then got it back. Car was fine for about 2 weeks..then lost everything except for 1st..
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear

I have an 03 Accord V6 with 111,000 miles with the original tranny. Still going strong! best thing you can do is change your fluid every 12-15K and I use Amsoil Syn ATF. Redline is great too.

Injen CAI
Magnaflow CBE
UR Pulley
Richie's V3 J-Pipe
J35 Magnesium IM
P2R Thermal Gasket
TB Coolant Bypass
Innovative 60A Mounts
Koni Yellows/Eibach Pro Kit
TL-S Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed Strut Ba
r
Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Make that BluFlsh

My 03 V6 auto is at 94k miles, on only Honda fluid, with a drain and fill every 15k miles. That's all I'm willing to spend on transmission fluid. IMO, some of these transmissions are more prone to failure than others, regardless what fluid you use.

I also have a theory. I have noticed that this transmission will take a long time to get from second to third gear, at higher rpm (5000 +). This will wear the clutches much quicker, IMO. A shift from 2nd to 3rd at 3000rpm is much quicker, and easier on the transmission, than a 2nd to 3rd shift at 5000rpm. Some knowlegable guys have said the worst thing for this transmission is the "suburan grind" (0 - 40mph all day), which is the majority of my miles (4way stop signs and red lights every 3 or 4 blocks). I think the transmission can handle a lot of shifting, but not at high rpm. Of course, some owners claim they babied their cars, and the transmission still gave out in less than 50k miles. In that case, maybe they had a bad transmission from the word go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.