Vent Air Flow Problem - Help - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM
My First Post

Question Vent Air Flow Problem - Help

I have an '03 Accord EX that has been having an issue with the vent direction mode. The air flow is stuck in the Defrost Vent (up at the windshield). You can scroll through the MODE selector on the console and the only thing that changes is the icon, the air flow never is re-directed. AC and Heat work fine, just not where I want them. Has anyone ever experienced this. I'm just out of warranty and I would hate to waste time and money taking it into the dealer for service if it's something like a fuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
I haven't had it happen, but here's the self diagnostic proceedure.

Welome!

Diagnostic Procedure:
Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Press the MODE (VENT/FLOOR) button several times and check the button's LED. The LED should toggle on and off as the button is pressed.

If the LED turns on and off, go to self-diagnostic.

If the LED does not turn on or off, replace the audio-HVAC display panel.

How to Retrieve a DTC
The audio-HVAC display panel has a self-diagnostic function for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system. To run the self-diagnostic function, do the following:

Turn the ignition switch OFF.

Turn the fan switch OFF.

Set the temperature control dial on Max Cool, then push the mode control button to select Vent.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Press and hold the recirculation control button.

While holding the button down, press the rear window defogger button five times within 10 seconds. The recirculation indicator blinks two times, then the self-diagnostic will begin.

If there is any problem in the system after self-diagnostic is finished, the recirculation indicator will blink Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 1 through 6. If there are any problems in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit, the A/C indicator will blink DTC 7 or 8.

If no DTC's are found, the indicator will not blink.

Cancelling the Self-diagnostic Function
Turn the ignition switch OFF to cancel the self-diagnostic function. After completing repair work, run the self-diagnostic function again to make sure that there are no other malfunctions.

Max Cool Position Function
When the mode control button is in the MAX COOL position, the audio-HVAC display panel will automatically select the recirculation mode and turn the A/C on. The recirculation switch and A/C switch are disabled and cannot be turned off in this mode. If the audio-HVAC display panel fails to function as described, replace it.

Good luck!!

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, commute beater car. Named Mater.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Question Did this work for you?

Did this diagnostic procedure tell you what is wrong? I am having the same problem and will run the procedure when I get home. If it does return a DTC, what do I do next?

I already replaced the Mode motor assembly, but that didn't fix anything.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

Procedure for Auto Climate Control?

I just realized that this procedure seems to be for accords w/ the manual climate control system. Is there a procedure for a 2003 Accord EX V6 with the dual zone auto climate control?

Thanks
Sean
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 AM
ready to go....

maybe this will help....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03 climate control troubleshooting.pdf (79.3 KB, 1765 views)

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
I dont necessarily have a vent problem but a question that maybe someone can answer, or I guess it could be a problem. I'm curious about the venting directions on the accords. Ive noticed that when I have only the floor selected that I do get a small amount of air flow coming out of the driver side dash vent to the left of the steering wheel. Do I have a leak somewhere or is this just how its always been?

Another thing I notice but dont know why is that when I have the heat on and I make a sharp right turn the temp of the air coming out of the vents will drop, and vice versa if I make a sharp left, the heat will seem to get hotter. Is there a reason for this?

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 AM
<error: divide by zero>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
I dont necessarily have a vent problem but a question that maybe someone can answer, or I guess it could be a problem. I'm curious about the venting directions on the accords. Ive noticed that when I have only the floor selected that I do get a small amount of air flow coming out of the driver side dash vent to the left of the steering wheel. Do I have a leak somewhere or is this just how its always been?

Another thing I notice but dont know why is that when I have the heat on and I make a sharp right turn the temp of the air coming out of the vents will drop, and vice versa if I make a sharp left, the heat will seem to get hotter. Is there a reason for this?

On Q1, That is how mine works. Seems like the Japanese cars do this and US cars dont. Strange. The second thing is puzzing. Not sure Ive ever noticed that.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Your second question is explained in the owners manual. All EX vehicles are equipped with a sunlight sensor. This sensor will detect if sun is aimed inside the vehicle. If so, the climate control system will adjust airflow and temperature to make the cabin feel comfortable. This is just a light sensor and it is located on your dash next to the windshield.
'
The NAVI models take this one step further by using your GPS coordinates and time to detect where the sun is on the car. This system will actually change where the air flows in the vehicle and you will detect more changes as you turn in and out of the sun.

2011 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Diesel.
2012 VW Golf TDI 4dr Tech Package 6MT

Forum Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's a hint - if you don't want to be judged by what you write on an internet forum then don't write on an internet forum.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
6th Gear

The reason air is blowing out of the top vents is to keep the side windows from fogging up. If you look at the vents next to the windows you will notice that the very top of them are aimed directly at the window and can't be adjusted.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermy4
The reason air is blowing out of the top vents is to keep the side windows from fogging up. If you look at the vents next to the windows you will notice that the very top of them are aimed directly at the window and can't be adjusted.
Even if I have only the floor vents selected its meant to allow for some air flow out of the defrost vents? The air actually feels like its coming out of the bottom of the dash vent on not the left part meant for the defrost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
Your second question is explained in the owners manual. All EX vehicles are equipped with a sunlight sensor. This sensor will detect if sun is aimed inside the vehicle. If so, the climate control system will adjust airflow and temperature to make the cabin feel comfortable. This is just a light sensor and it is located on your dash next to the windshield.
Actually the only time I notice that sudden change in temp is when I'm driving at night. How would the light sensor be affected then? And I almost never use my auto climate control, I set my heat to a certain temp and keep my fan speed at whatever notch is comfortable, but when I turn corners, depending on the direction, I notice the temp change. It only lasts for a second or two then goes back to normal. This also happened on my previous chevy, which is why I'm inclined to think its just a normal thing caused by movement of coolant or something in the heater core, but I figured I'd run it by you guys to see if it might be something different.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
Even if I have only the floor vents selected its meant to allow for some air flow out of the defrost vents? The air actually feels like its coming out of the bottom of the dash vent on not the left part meant for the defrost.
Both my Honda and my Olds do this too.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

princess

do yo have a PDF for B-CAN system diagnosis test ?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
ready to go....

I found one for without the HDS!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 06 bcan mode 1 & 2 tests.pdf (49.3 KB, 978 views)

Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM
My First Post

Hello,
I am having a similiar problem with the vent mode. I have a 1999 Honda Accord Ex v-6. I believe my car have a manual climate control. My problem is that the only air coming out is from the side vents and the vent by the legg, no matter which mode I select (displays is showing the different modes). My heater/ac and fan speed controls works.

Is there a mode actuator (that needs to be replaced)?

or Is it the blower motor resistor?

or Is it the blower motor?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.