1998 Accord Key Chip Problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

1998 Accord Key Chip Problem

Hey guys I own a 1998 Honda Accord LX, with built in alarm. The key has a chip to start the car as well. When I insert the key into the ignition, a green key display flashes on my dashboard. Recently, when I am driving, the car will shut off on me and the steering wheel locks up real quick, since it is power steer. When I try to start the car again, the green flashing key wont appear on my dashboard and won't start the car. The only way the car will start again is if I just wait it out. I stay in the car for about 5-10mins after that I turn the key to start the car and the green flashing key appears on my dashboard and the car will start again. Does anyone know why it does that? Is there anyway that this problem can be fixed? I am scared to jump on the freeway and this incident occurs, so please if you know anything about this problem please post on how to fix. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 PM
6th Gear

I think your immobilizer key is working correctly. The green light only comes on for a couple seconds initially then stays off until you switch the key OFF. If the green key light keeps blinking then the system does not recognize the key chip. You need to switch the ignition to OFF which should cause the green light to bink several times then to ON to start the sequence again.

Do you get any warning lights on the dash when the engine quits or does everything go off? If all the dash lights go off then your ignition switch (not the key) is likely worn out and needs replaced.

Also listen for the fuel pump priming when you first switch the key ON. If you dont hear it for a couple of seconds then its not getting power.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
. . .

zombo?

http://www.zombo.com?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM

When you try to restart the car is it completely dead or does it turn over? I think the 6th gens had ignition switch problems.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Zzzz

Was the ignition recall taken care of for that car?

Viper 5901 DIY

3rd Brake Light LED Conversion

I unlock iPhones! 3G 3GS 4 4S 5
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Ya your right the green light turns on for a few seconds then it goes away,until I turn the key off. And no, I do not get any warning lights on my dash. It just turns off and when it turns off, almost instantly all the lights on my dash turn on EXCEPT the green key. That is when I know that the car will not start for awhile. There have been times where I have been lucky, the car stops but I instantly put the gear on park and turn the key on and the car turns on again. (When I am in a red light or stop sign.)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

I do not know what that is haha.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

When I try to re-start the car, you can hear the engine so its not completely dead. I'm not really sure what turn over means, but I can hear the engine. And when I see that green key blink I know the car will start.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
6th Gear

Some 98-99 Accords had a factory recall to replace the ignition switch for problems just like you describe. A dealer can check your VIN number and tell you if it was replaced, but even if it was, it sounds like it needs it a again.

You can also enter your VIN on-line and it should tell you if that recall was done, but they only replace the switch once under warranty. If you search you should find the site for the Honda Owners to register.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
one wheel drive

Do you have another key to try just for fun?

Hah that zombo site is ridiculous
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Out of Control

I had the same kind of issue with my car about a year and a half ago.

Mine would never stop running, but it would not start after being shout off for a while. The green key light would not illuminate when the key was inserted which made me think that the chip in the key was bad. The problem was the main relay needed to be replaced. The relay has a circuit board attached to it that controls various functions such as the immobilizer. The circuit board developed a hairline crack that would expand when warm. The expansion would break a solder joint to one of the components on the circuit board. A few weeks later a friend was telling me that he was having the same issue with his Accord and it was the main relay that had to be replaced. If my memory serves me correctly the part was about $175 from the dealer and he charged me about another $100 to trouble shoot the problem, it took about an hour and a half, and replace the part.
San Marino Red 172,000 miles and still counting!
2007 Fit Sport Silver 56,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2, 63 VW Bug, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder, 70 Toyota Crown, 59 Vauxhall Victor (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Well I took it to a Honda Dealer where they do repairs, and they said the idle adjustment was all dirty inside. My RPM was also pretty low, when i put it on park the RPM would be fine but when i was driving and stopped at a stop sign or red light the RPM was all low and sometimes the car would just die. Well they cleaned it out and the RPM was normal for that day, the next day I went to go start the car and it wouldnt start. The starter wouldnt kick in. So now i have to replace the starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.