2003 V6 EX Crankshaft Bolt Removal - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

2003 V6 EX Crankshaft Bolt Removal

This is my first time posting. I am trying to replace the timing belt and water pump on my wife's 2003 V6 EX, but haven't been able to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. I was using the Honda Crank Pulley tool to hold the crankshaft pulley still while trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt by turning it counter-clockwise with a 4 ft breaker bar. I was not able to get the bolt loose.

Can anyone tell me if turning the bolt counter-clockwise is the correct way to loosen it? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Out of Control

use the blip method. pull the fuel fuse. Put a socket a breaker bar. Crank the car. Pop goes the bolt. But do some research on how to do it, and I am not responsible if you do it wrong.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear

blip method works. i used it once. though last time, i used a $35 electric impact wrench from harbor freight tools. worked like a charm.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

I would use a impact wrench on it.

Gm Syncromesh Fm, TL-S sway bars, Ingalls torque damper, Stage 1 exhaust mod, Intake resonator delete, short shifter, RV-6 V3 j-pipe, RV-6 V3 PCD's, P&P intake runners, semi-ported/polished intake plenum with custom throttle body spacer, TL-S trans mount, 06 TL 5 spoke rims
Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies to my post. I read about using the starter method to loosen the crank bolt, but am concerned about damaging something on te engine.

Can someone please confirm that the crank pulley bolt must be turned counter-clockwise to loosen it?

Clarence --- Which model electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight worked for you?

Also, what is the proper way to torque the crank pulley bolt after re-installing it?

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdep View Post
This is my first time posting. I am trying to replace the timing belt and water pump on my wife's 2003 V6 EX, but haven't been able to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. I was using the Honda Crank Pulley tool to hold the crankshaft pulley still while trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt by turning it counter-clockwise with a 4 ft breaker bar. I was not able to get the bolt loose.

Can anyone tell me if turning the bolt counter-clockwise is the correct way to loosen it? Thanks for your help.
I just changed the timing belt on my 03 V6 myself, and yes you do turn the crankshaft bolt counterclockwise to loosen. The crankbolt on my car was very tight too. I mangled the pulley holding tool, trying to use a breakerbar, and the bolt just laughed at the 550ftlb impact. I had to use a BIG impact wrench, to get the bolt off. I was afraid to break something, using the starter method. As far as the tourque on reinstallation, torque it to 47ftlbs, then turn an additional 60 degrees. You need to have a shop manual for this IMO.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Ajdep, i think harbor freight only has one model impact wrench. it's 1/2 inch. if you use it and it seems like it's not working, keep at it. the bolt will come loose after a minute or so. it may feel like eternity, like you're doing something wrong but stay on it. and one more thing. if you go to realfixesrealfast.com they do this job on an MDX. it's virtually the same engine as ours. do yourself a favor and watch it, you'll be so prepared and confident you'll scare yourself.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
3rd Gear

oh, and if you look for it online or in the back of a car mag, you may find a coupon for 20% off from harbor freight
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 AM
3rd Gear

blip method worked for me and many others. No issues
-Enkei J10 Performance Series rims
-Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake
-Full Stage 3 LED conversion
-OEM Spoiler
-Custom Droid Mount
-B&M Transmission Cooler
-TB Coolant Bypass
-Full Length MDX Intake Spacer
-Lightweight Pulley
-ATLP V2 J-Pipe
-Battery Relocation to trunk
-1000W Sound System (custom subwoofer box)

Future Mods:
-TL-S Front & Rear Sway Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.