Price estimate for Transmission flush - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

Price estimate for Transmission flush

I have about 55k on my 2006 Honda Accord v6 and need to get the transmission flushed (first ever I believe). I'm curious how much a transmission flush should cost. Also what should I ask for/look for when getting it done.

I don't have the time/feel comfortable doing it myself.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

They advise against a flush. But rather a transmission drain and refill. It should be about $75-$85. There are some information out here showing it is quite easy to do yourself (looks easier than an oil change). Will take about 3 qts of Honda transmission fluid to refill.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
2006 I4 MT

yeah don't be a wuss and do it yourself

This is all you need.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear

Honda Flush = Drain and Refill x3

If you do find the time, it's as simple as an oil change. Maybe simpler, you don't have to deal with a filter.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Make that BluFlsh

There is a filter, although the dealership will not change it. Changing the filter is a little more complicated. Change the fluid as often as necessary, to keep it clean. IMO, you can't tell how dark/dirty the fluid is, just by looking at the dipstick. I drain the fluid into a large clear container, so I can see exactly what's in the fluid and how dark it is. How much metal there is stuck to the drain plug magnet, and the filter should also be considered, to decide how soon you need to drain and fill again. Here's a how-to link for you.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13804
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
4th Gear

just DIY, as easy/easier then engine oil. Why pay $80 anywhere when they change engine oil for $20 but this is the same if not easier to do.

why does everyone have huge mod list in sig ? make build thread->link it
Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 AM
aka 'The Gif King'

A transmission drain and refill is NOT easier than changing your oil! You guys need to stop lying to yourselves! Lol

OP... If you're gonna do it the correct way, it'll cost you a little over $100. But if you let the dealer do it the correct way, it'll cost you more like $500! LMAO

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877738

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMarcher01 View Post
A transmission drain and refill is NOT easier than changing your oil! You guys need to stop lying to yourselves! Lol

OP... If you're gonna do it the correct way, it'll cost you a little over $100. But if you let the dealer do it the correct way, it'll cost you more like $500! LMAO
Oil Change:
1) Loosen oil cap
2) Remove drain plug and wait for oil to drain
3) Remove oil filter
4) Reinstall drain plug with new washer
5) Reinstall oil filter
6) Refill with x quarts of oil

Auto Transmission Change:
1) Loosen Dipstick
2) Same as above
3) Optional, Honda does not instruct to have this done every flush or at all even.
4) Same as above
5) Optional
6) Same as above but with ATF

I have a manual transmission and changing the mtf takes much longer because the fill plug is not an easy one to reach. I follow the same drain fill procedure with my wife's Civic except I can refill the atf through the dipstick hole. It takes the same amount of time to do an ATF drain and refill as it does an oil "drain and refill".

ATF drain and refill can be spaced out to every 10k miles or "flush" every 30k. Local dealership quoted me about $100 for a transmission drain and refill for the Civic. I know it's not a same car, but it gives you an idea. The quote was given a few years back.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
aka 'The Gif King'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaDxPainT View Post
Oil Change:
1) Loosen oil cap
2) Remove drain plug and wait for oil to drain
3) Remove oil filter
4) Reinstall drain plug with new washer
5) Reinstall oil filter
6) Refill with x quarts of oil

Auto Transmission Change:
1) Loosen Dipstick
2) Same as above
3) Optional, Honda does not instruct to have this done every flush or at all even.
4) Same as above
5) Optional
6) Same as above but with ATF

I have a manual transmission and changing the mtf takes much longer because the fill plug is not an easy one to reach. I follow the same drain fill procedure with my wife's Civic except I can refill the atf through the dipstick hole. It takes the same amount of time to do an ATF drain and refill as it does an oil "drain and refill".

ATF drain and refill can be spaced out to every 10k miles or "flush" every 30k. Local dealership quoted me about $100 for a transmission drain and refill for the Civic. I know it's not a same car, but it gives you an idea. The quote was given a few years back.
But as I stated, the correct way... OP asked for a transmission FLUSH, a flush consist of changing out the WHOLE transmission fluid, not just 3 quarts.

While an oil change is simply drain and refill. A transmission fluid change consist of the same thing, BUT also taking the car out for a drive and going through each gear, then going back and doing ANOTHER drain and refill, then again! Go out for a drive and go through all the gears, then go back.... AGAIN! And do another drain and refill.

Yeah I think you get the point.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877738

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMarcher01 View Post

The post was in response to your quoted text above, of course it's going to take longer to do a flush. As was mentioned above, Flush=Drain and Refill x3.

Sorry OP, I'll stop derailing your thread. Just don't want people to get the wrong idea about DIY maintenance.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

Honda only recommends doing a drain and fill, a complete flush is only recommended on rare occasions.

I seen the Honda newsletter.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
5th Gear

full flush can be done with a transmission flush machine. I've used one before. It really isn't that necessary. Just do a drain and refill every other or third oil change. It is the best way to ensure the transmission fluid is clean and it will also make the auto trans live longer.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
4th Gear

a flush machine Honda advises to NEVER use that. I just drain and fill my cars.

Easy breeezy

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear

I have an 06 5at and I just did a flush at ~75k (really hoping they did it at certification at ~50k). I'm borderline paranoid because of all the problems with the early 7gens, and the 7.5gens typically haven't gotten to the 130k-ish miles where the log thread is littered with failures.

With that said, let's recap:
A 1x drain/fill takes 3qt ATF and is definitely easier than an oil change. The fill bolt is only slightly tough to get to because it's so far down; a long extension solves this problem immediately (also why you need the long funnel). If you're paranoid, do this with every oil change. If you're moderately concerned, every 15k. Most dealerships will charge $100 for this, though it costs all of $24 in fluid (retail prices, you can definitely get the stuff for $6/qt).

A tranny *flush* as others have said, takes 3x drain/fill + another fill, for a total of 12qts. This is because the tranny really has 7qts in it, but only 3 come out on the drain. To mostly replace the fluid, you have to do the exchange 3 times - AND drive it between each time to completely mix the fluid. Alternatively, you can sit it on jack stands and run the car through all the gears each time (much quicker). At 55k, I would highly recommend you do the flush, but I don't doubt that the dealer would charge you about $500 for the service given that it's more time consuming than difficult. Total cost in fluids, though: $100 shipped. A good interval for a flush is every 30k (which is why I highly recommend it since you're nearly double) if you never do any other changes; maybe 45k if you drain/fill at 15k; paranoid people will still flush at 30k despite constant drain fills

As for the ATF filter: it's probably a good idea to change it at 55k, though you're probably going to have to do that one yourself, or fight with the dealer to convince them that it exists in the first place, much less agree on a reasonable price to do the change. Word of advice: look up the name of the service manager and always to talk to them when possible. In my experience, the service advisors are typically trained to write you up for retail prices and not much else. Service managers can actually be reasoned with and are much more pleasant...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM
6th Gear

Man how many times does this come up................................ NO FLUSH ON A HONDA TRANNY..Drain and fill only..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.