Changing the power steering fluid..how often - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 AM
4th Gear

Replacing power steering fluid.. how often

I just took my car to get the oil changed and tires rotated. He mentioned the power steering fluid was "dirty" and that I should flush it.

How often should I have the power steering fluid flushed or changed.

Thanks for your help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM
4th Gear

Changing the power steering fluid..how often

I just took my car to get the oil changed and tires rotated. He mentioned the power steering fluid was "dirty" and that I should flush it.

How often should I have the power steering fluid flushed or changed.

Thanks for your help on this.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM
4th Gear

What does your owner's manual say? Mine doesn't mention it. Most of the time it lasts the life of the car. If yours really is dirty that means something is breaking down in the pump or steering rack. New fluid generally won't help.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 AM
3rd Gear

Was planning on doing mine purely preventatively at 90k w/ early timing belt change, but from your other post you're at 55k and should be fine.

Who told you it was dirty, a dealer or a quick lube? Just curious, the former is more likely to be accurate while the latter is more likely to try and lighten your wallet.

In any case, it's easy enough to check for yourself, just pull some out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and take a look at it. New bottles of P/S fluid are maybe $5 from the dealer, if you want to compare. It's not the greatest smelling stuff, but I wouldn't pay more than $30 to have someone change it for me.

Edit: I should also say I agree with Stuff. New fluids can't reverse metal damage... so check it for yourself, and keep a close eye on your steering system/feel.

Edit 2: Reservoir should be right next to your wiper fluid. IIRC it has a red cap.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

A technician on here still has the original p.s. fluid in his 98 Accord with 250k miles on it. The dealer here would ask me "why is there something wrong with it?" when I asked about changing the fluid. Their eyes would get real big also. Even the service mgr there would tell me this.

If you want to freshen it up use the honda ps fluid and draw some out with a turkey baster and fill back up. Do this every now and then.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by python6mt View Post
Was planning on doing mine purely preventatively at 90k w/ early timing belt change, but from your other post you're at 55k and should be fine.

Who told you it was dirty, a dealer or a quick lube? Just curious, the former is more likely to be accurate while the latter is more likely to try and lighten your wallet.

In any case, it's easy enough to check for yourself, just pull some out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and take a look at it. New bottles of P/S fluid are maybe $5 from the dealer, if you want to compare. It's not the greatest smelling stuff, but I wouldn't pay more than $30 to have someone change it for me.
Yeah its a local shop my family has been going to for a while. I'm new to the shop and kinda 50/50 with their service thus far today. They said my battery has corrosion on it and they could replace the pads for $15 and clean the corrosion. I mentioned that I just changed the battery a few months ago and the pads should already be there. I think I caught them in a "uhh uhh.. let me check" moment when they had to put me on hold.

I'm going to hold on the power steering fluid since they were going to charge me around $185 for a power steering "flush".
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM
5th Gear

Power streering fluid, along with brake and clutch fluid, absorbs water. The fluid will work just fine, I think they are getting at the fact that eventually the fluid attacks the o rings etc and dry things out. I have an 04 TL with 76k miles and I already had to replace all the o rings in the PS pump (was leaking down the side of the engine). Older cars, built to last...the new ones...meh...I think it's 5 years, 60K and then every other year after that for all hygroscopic fluids. Something like that...

J.

More like preventative maintenance, your engine isn't going to fall apart or lose all it's VTEC fluid or anything if you don't. you can see the fluid...should be yellowish and clear, when it gets old/dirty it turns greyish.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Power streering fluid, along with brake and clutch fluid, absorbs water. The fluid will work just fine, I think they are getting at the fact that eventually the fluid attacks the o rings etc and dry things out. I have an 04 TL with 76k miles and I already had to replace all the o rings in the PS pump (was leaking down the side of the engine). Older cars, built to last...the new ones...meh...I think it's 5 years, 60K and then every other year after that for all hygroscopic fluids. Something like that...
I thought only the brake fluid was hygroscopic.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

I'm don't know if yours really needs to be changed but that is just another upsell these lube places try tack on when you go in for an oil change.

My mom went in the other day for an oil changed and called me saying they told her her pump will fail because of the bad fluid. She just bought the car this past summer certified.

If you fluid looks dark then change it. DIY with a turkey baster. **** out the old and refill the reservoir. Turn the wheel and repeat until the fluild is clear.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaxman31 View Post
Yeah its a local shop my family has been going to for a while. I'm new to the shop and kinda 50/50 with their service thus far today. They said my battery has corrosion on it and they could replace the pads for $15 and clean the corrosion. I mentioned that I just changed the battery a few months ago and the pads should already be there. I think I caught them in a "uhh uhh.. let me check" moment when they had to put me on hold.

I'm going to hold on the power steering fluid since they were going to charge me around $185 for a power steering "flush".
Terminal corrosion happens... but that's easily fixed with a few taps of a hammer and your lungs.

$185, holy crap. I just looked it up in the service manual, the reservoir holds about 0.42 qt, and the rest of the system 1.16qt at most. To flush, all you have to do is disconnect the return hose, drain the reservoir, turn the engine on and turn the wheel lock-to-lock until fluid stops coming out of the hose. Then, reconnect the hose and fill 'er up.

But that would make a hell of a mess. You're better off buying more PS fluid, draining the reservoir with a turkey baster, refill, turn car on & turn wheel back and forth several times, and repeat until fluid looks clean. Maybe $30 in fluid and an hour max.

Again, though, I doubt the fluid is really that bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM

A dispenser from an old hand lotion bottle works very well instead of the turkey baster. Just flush it out after your done or the chemicals will eat away at the interal parts rendering it useless for the next time you use it. Of course wash it off beforehand also.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
3rd Gear

And now that I think about it for 5 seconds, I don't know why you would ever disconnect the hose anyway. Drain the reservoir with a turkey baster, and have a friend turn the car on and turn the wheel while you stand there and pull out the rest of the fluid. Then refill.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
2006 I4 MT

I'm going to do the turkey baster method myself if the flush looks like it will get everywhere. I already bought all of stuff. Going to do it in a few more weeks.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear

True story here, somewhat related...Back when i was in highschool, someone from our school, decided to change his P/S fluid, and trans fluid, in a parking lot, with nothing below his car..(drained both onto gravel/sewer) well wouldnt you know, the cops came into the park, and wanted to checkout what he was doing...He ended up getting busted for draning his tranny fluid and P/S fluid into a sewer drain...Needless to say it was quite a court hearing as his father worked for the EPA.....
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(current car)
2008 Honda Accord LX(wifes)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 AM
5th Gear

Wow...
My Dad used to let his oil out into the driveway (also dirt)...he didn't know Florida was an aquifer. Plus...he's a European Hippy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.