Accord vs camry vs optima vs taurus who really is better - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Off Topic > The Pit

Drive Honda Accord Forums
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 AM
banned

Accord vs camry vs optima vs taurus who really is better

SO i had a chance to drive a 2012 camry this past weekend, and i really was blown away, the ride is so smooth and refined...Trans is butter, and handling is much improved for a toyota...So who is really better(and im not talking about modded 6-6 coupes either) im talking of a stright up 4 door sedan...
THere really sporty and fun to drive too...and the technology in the dash has it over the accords "2008" styling...
So my question is, has anyone had a chance to drive the new camry? And what do they think in comparison to the accord? Seriously tho, driving the camry makes me think twice about a 2012 accord...The technology seems dated on the accords...
In response to a earlier post from a few weeks ago, someone said they are trading in there 2012 accord for a KIA optima...Let me tell you right now, those cars are total crap..Korean s**t. I test drove an optima as well, and there was a knock in the steering, and the car had like 40 miles on it...
Luckily i had the chance to take it out solo, and i did a few neutral to drive drops in it,and instead of the wheels spinning, the auto trans made a grinding sound...total JUNK! I laugh at the poster who traded his Accord for an optima...i think he's set up for a disappointment!
Lastly, i test drove a taurus SHO, and those cars are really fast..felt like my parents a6, but the body roll really kills it...those cars really arent the best for handling...I was able to light em up real nice in this car (better than accord, camry or optima) fun to drive and peel out in....redlined it, felt like the tires were gonna fall off...seems shaky at high RPM's!
So i'd like to hear everyones take on these cars, weather they have friends who have em, or test drove them...
Overall, i would say the KIA optima is a joke...Any car you cannot spin the tires in, is total junk in my book...and whats up with a knock in the steering on a car w 40 miles on it?
Camry...I was really suprised....

EDIT: I was also thinking about a nissan maxima, But dont like the track records of these cars...seems like when they fall apart(and they will) the parts are so dam expensive...plus i dont like the maxima/altima look...BORING!!!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM
4th Gear

Personally I don't like the exterior of the new Camry (it's UGLY).
I agree thought that Honda has fallen far behind in interior amenities and gadgets (will they step it enough for the 2013? I think they have some serious catching up to do, and that they will still have some even after the 2013 comes out.
Optima? I am not ready to go the the Korean brands. I like their new styling and I hear quality is improving, maybe another 10 years?
The Taurus? The SHO is quite expensive so I wouldn't compare it with an Accord, I think the direct competition is the Fusion. I really hate the current one, but the 2013 model looks very promising. I will very likely test drive it before committing to my next Accord.
Planned projects:
New car planned for fall 2013. 9th Gen! EX-L NAVI? Touring?

ALSO: 12 Ody EX-L RES no mods PREVIOUSLY: 08 Ody EX-L RES,07 Accord 2D EX, 06 Pilot LX, 04 Mazda6i, 01 Civic 2D EX.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Yep, really surprised by the new Camry also. When the new pics of the redesign were shown I wasn't too thrilled. But after driving it and my dad buying one I'm very impressed with it. Much firmer ride, peppy, nice dash and standard tech items. A base LE version comes with outside temp guage, trip computer showing approx mpg's, exact psi readings for each tire and a 7 inch touch screen display. My dad is averaging 32 mpg with mixed driving prob 50/50 city highway.

99 Accord Coupe: 2.3, 166k, original owner.(sold)

94 Civic Coupe: manual (sold with 45k)

83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe: Traded in with 67k.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
5th Gear

Im just glad someone agrees w. me on the korean cars still being not up to snuff u shoulda seen it in one of the other threads u woulda thought we were on a hyundai forum the people were defending them so much, like horses with blinders on, couldn't see what's right in front pf their eyes.

Personally I don't need "gadgets" in my car im no james bond wannabe, my droid does everything anything a car "technology" package will do and more (pandora nav ect).

so for me the end decision comes.down to what is the better CAR at doing car things (stopping, accelerating, handling, carrying people, and NOT BREAKING DOWN) and the accord wins hands down in that category in my opinion. Handling kills the camry and the lack of the electronic safety systems unless you pay up kills the altima (EBD, stability control and all the other systems that literally make you a better (safer)driver than you could be w.o them all that was standard was anti lock) note that was the case when I looked a few years ago re the altima, not sure if it has changed

If the technology stuff really bothers u, use the 3k u save to deck the car out on a 2012 or wait a few months until the 2013s start rolling out.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb2755 View Post
Im just glad someone agrees w. me on the korean cars still being not up to snuff u shoulda seen it in one of the other threads u woulda thought we were on a hyundai forum the people were defending them so much, like horses with blinders on, couldn't see what's right in front pf their eyes.

Personally I don't need "gadgets" in my car im no james bond wannabe, my droid does everything anything a car "technology" package will do and more (pandora nav ect).

so for me the end decision comes.down to what is the better CAR at doing car things (stopping, accelerating, handling, carrying people, and NOT BREAKING DOWN) and the accord wins hands down in that category in my opinion. Handling kills the camry and the lack of the electronic safety systems unless you pay up kills the altima (EBD, stability control and all the other systems that literally make you a better (safer)driver than you could be w.o them all that was standard was anti lock) note that was the case when I looked a few years ago re the altima, not sure if it has changed

If the technology stuff really bothers u, use the 3k u save to deck the car out on a 2012 or wait a few months until the 2013s start rolling out.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
If your talking about the thread called "trading in my accord for an optima"
THis is what i was reffering to. This guy must have been nuts to say those cars are better than accords! No way! They leave alot to be desired...Very shotty engine/trans. IM waiting till 2013, so i can drive the camry, then the accord..1 right after the other..Im hoping the dealer will let me take em out solo...I like to TEST DRIVE the car, not drive to church in it...BTW, the kia dealer said the car smelled like "burning radiator fluid" after i drove it...ha ha ****er! FU! LOCKEY KIA IN CLEARWATER!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian griffin View Post
SO i had a chance to drive a 2012 camry this past weekend, and i really was blown away, the ride is so smooth and refined...Trans is butter, and handling is much improved for a toyota...So who is really better(and im not talking about modded 6-6 coupes either) im talking of a stright up 4 door sedan...
THere really sporty and fun to drive too...and the technology in the dash has it over the accords "2008" styling...
So my question is, has anyone had a chance to drive the new camry? And what do they think in comparison to the accord? Seriously tho, driving the camry makes me think twice about a 2012 accord...The technology seems dated on the accords...
In response to a earlier post from a few weeks ago, someone said they are trading in there 2012 accord for a KIA optima...Let me tell you right now, those cars are total crap..Korean s**t. I test drove an optima as well, and there was a knock in the steering, and the car had like 40 miles on it...
Luckily i had the chance to take it out solo, and i did a few neutral to drive drops in it,and instead of the wheels spinning, the auto trans made a grinding sound...total JUNK! I laugh at the poster who traded his Accord for an optima...i think he's set up for a disappointment!
Lastly, i test drove a taurus SHO, and those cars are really fast..felt like my parents a6, but the body roll really kills it...those cars really arent the best for handling...I was able to light em up real nice in this car (better than accord, camry or optima) fun to drive and peel out in....redlined it, felt like the tires were gonna fall off...seems shaky at high RPM's!
So i'd like to hear everyones take on these cars, weather they have friends who have em, or test drove them...
Overall, i would say the KIA optima is a joke...Any car you cannot spin the tires in, is total junk in my book...and whats up with a knock in the steering on a car w 40 miles on it?
Camry...I was really suprised....

EDIT: I was also thinking about a nissan maxima, But dont like the track records of these cars...seems like when they fall apart(and they will) the parts are so dam expensive...plus i dont like the maxima/altima look...BORING!!!
Quote:
THis is what i was reffering to. This guy must have been nuts to say those cars are better than accords! No way! They leave alot to be desired...Very shotty engine/trans. IM waiting till 2013, so i can drive the camry, then the accord..1 right after the other..Im hoping the dealer will let me take em out solo...I like to TEST DRIVE the car, not drive to church in it...BTW, the kia dealer said the car smelled like "burning radiator fluid" after i drove it...ha ha ****er! FU! LOCKEY KIA IN CLEARWATER!
Was this the turbo Optima and what color was it?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Every silver lining has a

While its true that other cars have more "gadgets", none of them compare to Accords reliability, resale value and safety features. What the other cars lack in those ares they use "technology" to compensate. I'll take less "gadgets" rather than compromise on quality....

06 Accord EX-L V6 AT W/Navi Graphite Pearl (Killed in Action) http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69081
Blue interior LED's
Deck Lid Spoiler
TL 20MM Sway Bar

Wife
03 CRV 2WD NBP roof rack Dale Jr antenna ball and license plate holder

PAID OFF!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
Was this the turbo Optima and what color was it?
No, it wasnt turbo, just a "ex" model...It was silver...Funny how in the commercials they show the wheels spinning...But when i tried the same thing, the transmission just made a grinding noise...Garbage!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of grey View Post
While its true that other cars have more "gadgets", none of them compare to Accords reliability, resale value and safety features. What the other cars lack in those ares they use "technology" to compensate. I'll take less "gadgets" rather than compromise on quality....

Totally agree, and that is why I will very likely remain a honda customer (basically honda would have to really drop the ball on the 13 Accord).
This time around, I am planning to bring more $$$ to the table as there a few things I've always felt my EX is missing. My plan is to really look closely at the V6 NAVI or at the very least the 4cyl NAVI (I am still unsure about their CVT and I am not that eager for a manual... I'll see).
Even though I do like my gadgets, reliability does trump them (otherwise I might have jumped to Hyunday a few years back, and probably crying today )
Planned projects:
New car planned for fall 2013. 9th Gen! EX-L NAVI? Touring?

ALSO: 12 Ody EX-L RES no mods PREVIOUSLY: 08 Ody EX-L RES,07 Accord 2D EX, 06 Pilot LX, 04 Mazda6i, 01 Civic 2D EX.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No, it wasnt turbo, just a "ex" model...It was silver...Funny how in the commercials they show the wheels spinning...But when i tried the same thing, the transmission just made a grinding noise...Garbage!!
Hmm...how long ago did you drive it since they made some recent improvements to the transmission?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
Hmm...how long ago did you drive it since they made some recent improvements to the transmission?
?? took it for a test drive last week. The car had 40 miles on it...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Corvalis TTX

I've driven the Optima and I've found it to be the equal of the Accord in every area save steering feel. The Accord's steering feels more connected to the road than the Optima's steering.

I have a hard time taking seriously any review that includes evaluating the transmission of a car by doing neutral drops. Such childish and immature behavior makes me wonder if the reviewer has an agenda.

In terms of which car I would choose right now if I had to choose one - Accord. The Optima would be a very close 2nd choice.

Once the new Fusion comes out it will be interesting to see how it compares to the 9th gen Accord.

2014 Audi S4 | 2013 Porsche 911 Turbo S | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
?? took it for a test drive last week. The car had 40 miles on it...

Maybe another immature teenager had taken the car for a test drive before you and had abused the car in the same way you did. If you think a Honda transmission isn't going to be damaged by neutral drops then you're a fool.

2014 Audi S4 | 2013 Porsche 911 Turbo S | 97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Maybe another immature teenager had taken the car for a test drive before you and had abused the car in the same way you did. If you think a Honda transmission isn't going to be damaged by neutral drops then you're a fool.
Again, when i test drive, i want to see what the car can do...Im TEST driving, not driving to sunday school!
Well to each his own, i left a nice solid posi patch with the SHO, the optima couldnt even chirp...I light em up in my 6-6 from time to time and had 0 transmission problems(even if its a pop off the clutch)
And im 38 BTW, not a teenager....If i were a teenager, i would probably have just stolen the car after they let me take it out...I would take the camry..SHO, then the optima last..KIA truly dosent take performance into consideration...especially given the carmy seem to have more balls than the optima!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Brian, the civic forum is down the elevator, on your right. You will fit right in.

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.